THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-13-2005   #21
eldritch00
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,077, Level: 90 Points: 17,077, Level: 90 Points: 17,077, Level: 90
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via ICQ to eldritch00 Send a message via Yahoo to eldritch00
Re: T.E.D. Klein

Reading My Work is Not Yet Done AND The Ceremonies for the first time (I'm assuming that the latter is also the case based on what you've posted)? An enviable readerly position to be in! Hope you enjoy them as much as we have!

And while the opening of The Ceremonies does take a bit of getting used to, with regard to its pace, it's definitely well worth the read. I had a bit of trouble initially myself, and so did several others.

"When the emptiness in you grows too large
You fill its vaulted chambers with the ash of memory
With the dust of desire."
- PZB
eldritch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #22
symbolique
Chymist
Points: 14,825, Level: 83 Points: 14,825, Level: 83 Points: 14,825, Level: 83
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

nil

Last edited by symbolique; 09-05-2017 at 11:44 PM..
symbolique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #23
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I'm doing a leisurely reread of Klein's Dark Gods. I've just finished "Black Man with a Horn." Oh, yeah. Klein observes: "If the Necronomicon actually existed, it would probably be out in paperback with a preface by Lin Carter." Mr. Klein was all but 100% prophetic. He published this in 1980, mind you. Lin Carter, gap-filler and flesher-outer (and love or hate him as you may), published "The Necronomicon: The Dee Translation" some nine years later in Crypt of Cthulhu. When it was reprinted in 1996's Robert M. Price Chaosium anthology The Necronomicon: Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab, the introduction was by Price. Minor details, but points I missed the first time around. Perspective is everything. Well, almost....

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #24
Stu
Grimscribe
Points: 27,150, Level: 100 Points: 27,150, Level: 100 Points: 27,150, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Yeah, I laughed out loud at the Lin Carter reference. Then rushed to show it to a friend who is a HUGE Robert E Howard fan and who consequently hates Carter's Conan stories.

The Mask Behind the Face, Pendragon Press 2005
Shards of Dreams, Double Dragon eBooks 2004
Spare Parts, Rainfall Books 2003

Stuart Young\''s blog: http://stuartyoungwriter.blogspot.co.uk/
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #25
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100

My third eye was itching, so naturally I rubbed it..

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals";p=&quot View Post
I'm doing a leisurely reread of Klein's Dark Gods. I've just finished "Black Man with a Horn." Oh, yeah. Klein observes: "If the Necronomicon actually existed, it would probably be out in paperback with a preface by Lin Carter."
The above excerpt was from the 1986 Bantam reprint of Dark Gods.

In the story's original appearance in Ramsey Campbell's 1980 New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, the sentence reads: "If the Necronomicon actually existed, it would be out in Bantam paperback with a preface by Lin Carter."

Yet another variant appears in the 1995 reprint in Jim Turner's Cthulhu 2000: "If the Necronomicon actually existed, it would probably be out in paperback with a preface by Colin Wilson."

I'm afraid to peek at my 1985 Viking Dark Gods at the moment. And my three or four different versions of "The Events at Poroth Farm" must be even more maddening....

My third eye doesn't itch anymore, but my mind does!

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
Old 01-02-2006   #26
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

I'm afraid to peek at my 1985 Viking Dark Gods at the moment. And my three or four different versions of "The Events at Poroth Farm" must be even more maddening..
I've looked. Curiosity. Obsession. The Bantam reprint of "Black Man with a Horn" agrees with the Viking version. Well, at least that sentence does. The rest of the text is for someone else to examine....

My best determination is that at least five different versions of "The Events at Poroth Farm" exist. Klein himself from Dagon 18/19:

" 'The Events at Porth Farm' (story) in From Beyond the Dark Gateway, Vol. 1, No. 2 (December 1972), edited by Edward P. Berglund

Reprinted (slightly revised) in The Year's Best Horror Stories, No. 3 edited by Richard Davis (London: Sphere, 1973)

Reprinted (slightly revised again) in The Year's Best Horror Stories: Series II, edited by Richard Davis (New York: DAW, 1974)

Reprinted (slightly revised a third time) in First World Fantasy Awards edited by Gahan Wilson (New York: Doubleday, 1977)"

As for later printings, a fifth version is extant in the 1990 Necronomicon Press chapbook of the tale. This is replicated in the anthology Return to Lovecraft Country edited by Scott David Aniolowski (Triad Entertainments, 1997). Mr. Aniolowski's acknowledgements read: " ... and Marc Michaud at Necronomicon Press for providing me with a disk of T.E.D. Klein's excellent contribution, and allowing me to reproduce the Necronomicon Press edition of the story here..."

The story is also in Eternal Lovecraft edited by Jim Turner (Golden Gryphon, 1998). I have no idea what this version is. Five again, or six? I'm not checking. Honest.

In uprooting my house, I discovered yet another copy each of the Bantam Dark Gods and The Ceremonies that I didn't know I had. I've been gifting my extras. candy gets lucky.

Old 04-17-2006   #27
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

The long-anticipated T.E.D. Klein collection due from Subterranean Press has been named. Ironically, the title is Reassuring Tales. I can't wait for this one!

Old 04-17-2006   #28
nomis
Grimscribe
Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100
The long-anticipated T.E.D. Klein collection due from Subterranean Press has been named. Ironically, the title is Reassuring Tales. I can't wait for this one!
I've been waiting three years already.

I'm tired.

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #29
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

I was informed by my procurer that Mr. Klein's Reassuring Tales would ship today. At long last. Both this and Teatro Grottesco within the same week or so is almost too much. Almost. I'll somehow put up with the burden of being overwhelmed...

Old 12-09-2006   #30
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

I am pleased to announce that I own copy number 240 of T.E.D. Klein's signed and numbered Reassuring Tales published by my neighbors, Subterranean Press. Once again, Jason Eckhardt's excellent artwork complements Mr. Klein's work. The cover depicts a scene of the calmest domestic innocence; the exception is the posture and eyes of the family dog which betray a sense of foreboding. With the exception of "Renaissance Man" and a second instance of "Camera Shy," the contents agree with those listed above by Dr. Bantham way back in the Cretaceous Period. In light of what I discovered concerning the evolution of "The Events at Poroth Farm," I will consider this a completely new and original presentation of the stories. I look forward to reading both the stories I have read (in one form or another) and those which are new to me.