Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-24-2011   #1
Sand
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,569, Level: 91 Points: 17,569, Level: 91 Points: 17,569, Level: 91
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Pessoa, Walser: would they have blogged?

Fernando Pessoa and Robert Walser both wrote obsessively: Walser, as was shown by the edition of Microscripts recently, wrote on anything he could find, handbills, tickets etc; Pessoa left chestfulls of papers, still being sifted.

If they had lived now, not then, would they have blogged instead? Was it simply the need to write that drove them, or was it the need to write secretly? If the opportunity had been available, would they have been just as content to write out in the open, or would they still have hoarded?

I admit I incline to the view that secrecy, or reserve might be a better expression, was an important part of their writing practice: so that even today they might still be furtive authors. But I am not sure.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (01-27-2018), Soukesian (06-24-2011), ToALonelyPeace (01-26-2018)
Old 06-24-2011   #2
Soukesian
Mystic
Points: 12,433, Level: 77 Points: 12,433, Level: 77 Points: 12,433, Level: 77
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Pessoa, Walser: would they have blogged?

That's a really interesting question, and I suppose the fragmentary nature of The Book of Disquiet does make it read a little like a blog now. I think you may be right about reserve being important to these writers, but the internet has a tremendously disinhibiting effect on some people, for good or ill: many bloggers (and twitterers) seem quite unconcerned as to whether or not anyone might be listening. It's impossible to know now, but I think there's every chance that compulsive writers like Pessoa or Walser might have responded to the opportunity to post their passing thoughts in quiet moments in cafes and trams.
Soukesian is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (01-27-2018), Sand (06-25-2011), ToALonelyPeace (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018   #3
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Pessoa, Walser: would they have blogged?

I don't think they would blog. The blog format can detract from the airy feeling of Pessoa's writing. Then they will have to deal with trolls, spams, and spacing problems. If I read The Book of Disquiet in blog format, I would be bored and annoyed.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-27-2018)