THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Voting Booth
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
View Poll Results: What is your favorite story from MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE?
My Work Is Not Yet Done 7 63.64%
I Have a Special Plan for this World 2 18.18%
The Nightmare Network 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-22-2005   #11
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Favorite Selection from MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE

I originally read each piece in reverse order of presentation in MWINYD. But not from the collection, with the exception of the titular short novel since it was its first appearance. (Confused yet?) My recent reread of the three tales constituted my first actual reading of MWINYD as a book, with the stories arranged in the author's apparent desired order.

(I must admit to being a bit put off by "The Nightmare Network" when I first read it several years ago in John Pelan's Darkside anthology. It was so different, so unlike what I was expecting. This was Ligotti ahead of himself in a sense. He hadn't quite created the proper context for this story until MWINYD appeared. Suddenly, a horse is pulling an elaborate cart! I will never again forget the fabulous punchline to this one.)

I think MWINYD succeeds as a whole, not unlike IAFTIAFL. Think of the collection as a coin: one tale as obverse, one as reverse, one as knurl around the edge. Which one do I like the most? I'm flipping a coin....

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #12
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Favorite Selection from MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE

The novella gets my vote. Intriguing stuff, with a relatively sympathetic character. You want bastards like Harry and Shery dead, although the final twist when you realise Richard's as screwed up as Frank is simply fabulous. WORK NOT DONE. Hehhehheh .

"IHASPFTW" is pretty hilarious when read in light of "MWINYD", but because of it is pretty damn creepy. Not as good, but a good companion/afterword. Haven't finished it, but am going to. See above.

"TNN" is superb. Pure Burroughsian horror/sci-fi. The merger concept is particularily disturbing. "The Hunter" was truly demented, as was the one with the farmers. Loved the automaton sketch. All of it was very visceral, but tastefully so. I would love to see Ligotti read this TDLT-style, perhaps with "Paradoxes from Hell" and "Ghost Stories for the Dead" as B-sides.

Altogether, marvelous.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote