THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 1 Week Ago   #351
Knygathin
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,447, Level: 45 Points: 4,447, Level: 45 Points: 4,447, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
Re: Robert Aickman

Quote Originally Posted by Knygathin View Post
The only story I recognize from my three "classic neophyte collections" (The Wine-Dark Sea, Painted Devils, and Cold Hand in Mine) is "Marriage".
Hmm, Compulsory Games seems like a very nice volume, ... and I don't want to sound negative, but ... I don't think I will buy it. Because I will not realistically find time to read, and re-read, these stories. I am a slow reader, and already have too many unread volumes in my library. This one would likely remain standing on the shelf. I try hard to avoid the habit of buying more books than I can actually read, to keep things sensible. And several other favorite authors await my attention.

The only stories I urgently would like to add to my three (rather well-rounded) Aickman collections, are "Wood" and "The Unsettled Dust". Preferably not in books full of other stories. Perhaps they eventually become available as ebook files. But until then their possible literary events tease and stir my imagination and curiousity, ... which is not a bad thing.
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #352
Doctor Dugald Eldritch
Mystic
Points: 26,285, Level: 100 Points: 26,285, Level: 100 Points: 26,285, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Adam Scovell is a writer and filmmaker with a particular focus on landscape, psychogeography (I really dislike that word, now), and folk horror in the arts, and has made many short eerie films exploring uncanny, haunted, Ballardian landscapes. In this post on his excellent blog, Celluloid Wicker Man, he writes about Aickman's mysterious holiday photographs.

Responses: Robert Aickman Celluloid Wicker Man

Let us admit...the hallucinatory nature of the world. Let us...seek unrealities which confirm that nature.
-- Jorge Luis Borges

I'm not a prophet or a Stone Age man,
Just a mortal with the potential of a superman.
-- David Bowie

Golgonooza
Doctor Dugald Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (4 Days Ago), Gnosticangel (4 Days Ago), miguel1984 (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #353
tartarusrussell
Mystic
Points: 11,708, Level: 74 Points: 11,708, Level: 74 Points: 11,708, Level: 74
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Dugald Eldritch View Post
In this post ... he writes about Aickman's mysterious holiday photographs.
The photographs are really only mysterious when the author forgets that he ripped them from the Tartarus Press Aickman documentary. I quite enjoyed the blog post, but the knowledge of who took the photos, where they were taken, and the dates, does make some of his speculations rather redundant.
tartarusrussell is offline   Reply With Quote