THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #91
Nirvana In Karma
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,843, Level: 97 Points: 19,843, Level: 97 Points: 19,843, Level: 97
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Idpol

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
"And the irony is, of course, that this demand for cultural purity actually *diminishes* opportunities for artists from these countries. If certain elements of their culture become part of the global mainstream, that’s actually a chance to have an impact! It makes you more easily understood, makes what you have to offer more accessible. It builds bridges. But the anti-appropriation argument actually just has the effect of limiting “cultural authority” to the tiny minority of English or American middle-class artists who take on the role of “authentic” representative/consultant and perpetuate these rigid Maoist-style ideologies to safeguard their position."

This is my life. This is my damnation. This is my only regret--that I ever was born.

-- Swans, "Beautiful Child"
Nirvana In Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
gveranon (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #92
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 26,200, Level: 100 Points: 26,200, Level: 100 Points: 26,200, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

This article is a valuable screed against literary "community." The article isn't about identity politics, but I think the "community" mind-set it describes is a more general tendency that underlies the identity-politics approach to literature. (Along with the fixation on demographic categories, of course.) In other words, without the too-common propensity to join in with pious/coercive notions of "literary community," identity politics would have much less traction among literary people, I believe.

What Happens When Authors Are Afraid to Stand Alone · The Walrus
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Nirvana In Karma (3 Weeks Ago), qcrisp (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #93
Ibrahim
Chymist
Points: 3,642, Level: 39 Points: 3,642, Level: 39 Points: 3,642, Level: 39
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

I'm late to the party re: that ridiculous video of the Lecturing Girl, but i have to say, and it's probably not a nice thing to say :
has anyone noticed ( did she herself notice) that it's another instance of a white person telling the world how to behave, which is a bit, uh, PROBLEMATIC?

Seriously, though, what frightens me is the plenitude of misunderstanding of literature, of art, of aesthetics, her worldview displays. I phrase it thus on purpose; for it looks like incomprehension as an active force rather than a passive experience, a lack.

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn Al 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
crow (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Mr. Veech (3 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #94
Gnosticangel
Chymist
Points: 6,266, Level: 54 Points: 6,266, Level: 54 Points: 6,266, Level: 54
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I'm late to the party re: that ridiculous video of the Lecturing Girl, but i have to say, and it's probably not a nice thing to say :
has anyone noticed ( did she herself notice) that it's another instance of a white person telling the world how to behave, which is a bit, uh, PROBLEMATIC?

With all due respect, I'm not in the same place with you on this. In my own NGO work I regularly work with and listen to the words of all ethnicities and traditions on social, economic and environmental issues. I am not willing to exclude respect for any groups, even White Devils.
Gnosticangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #95
Ibrahim
Chymist
Points: 3,642, Level: 39 Points: 3,642, Level: 39 Points: 3,642, Level: 39
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

...and there i thought my remark was positively dripping with irony...oh well...

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn Al 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #96
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 9,306, Level: 66 Points: 9,306, Level: 66 Points: 9,306, Level: 66
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosticangel View Post

With all due respect, I'm not in the same place with you on this. In my own NGO work I regularly work with and listen to the words of all ethnicities and traditions on social, economic and environmental issues. I am not willing to exclude respect for any groups, even White Devils.
I interpreted Ibrahim's remark in the following way:

Given that most "problematic" literature is written by whites, it seems rather "problematic" that a white woman is preaching against "problematic" literature. It would seem more appropriate, according to her own logic, for someone who is not white to preach such a message. We would certainly take them more seriously. Again, the irony is that her argument is a form of self-refutation.

He's right. Her entire video is saturated with irony.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
crow (3 Weeks Ago), Gnosticangel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #97
Gnosticangel
Chymist
Points: 6,266, Level: 54 Points: 6,266, Level: 54 Points: 6,266, Level: 54
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

...and there i thought my remark was positively dripping with irony...oh well...

My sincere apologies for not noticing that, am too used to relying on Reddit's "/s" identifier it appears.

Thanks!
Gnosticangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #98
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Points: 10,389, Level: 70 Points: 10,389, Level: 70 Points: 10,389, Level: 70
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
This is one of the strangest parts about current race issues - the most sensitive and vocal people I've encountered both in life and online (at least on social media sites like Facebook where ethnicity can be easily determined) are overwhelmingly white. The starkest example for me occurred when Django Unchained came out - everyone in the mostly black office I worked were huge Tarantino fans, so I ended up seeing the film on Christmas Day with several black Muslim coworkers without anyone commenting on or reacting to the frequency of "nigger" in the dialogue. I then attended an entirely white New Years party where several people said they couldn't sit through the film because the language made them cringe, with a few others taking the stronger position that Tarantino was racist/exploitative in general. Then came the Jackson interview:

I definitely understand avoiding the term in causal usage, but there's something perverse about a white person treating the term as unutterable or nauseating - part of me wonders if its actually an acceptable means of co-opting other people's victimization.
Speaking Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
crow (3 Weeks Ago), Druidic (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), qcrisp (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #99
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 24,801, Level: 100 Points: 24,801, Level: 100 Points: 24,801, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

From what I remember, "problematic" also refers to the point that a literary work can be interpreted in opposing ways.
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote