THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film > Contemporary Horror
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 02-02-2005   #1
Severini
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 11,808, Level: 75 Points: 11,808, Level: 75 Points: 11,808, Level: 75
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Eyes Without a Face

Hello everyone,

I realized that Criterion will release this movie on october 19th.I've always wanted to watch it (mostly due to the very positive reviews posted at imdb and sites alike and the fact that script was written by the same guys who have written Diabolique - a movie I appreciate very much), so, I'd like to read opinions from you, people who has (hypothetically) a similiar taste (at least we all like a common author Grin).If anyone has ever watched this movie, please reply with your comments.

Thanks.

If you're a wizard, why do you wear glasses?
Severini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #2
ElHI
Mystic
Quotes: 1
Points: 26,147, Level: 100 Points: 26,147, Level: 100 Points: 26,147, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hello there,

Eyes Without a Face (Les Yeux Sans Visage, in the original and my native French...) by Georges Franju is indeed one of the best 'horror' movies I've ever seen.
Nice black and white photography.
Haunting scenes (the use of the scalpel on a face is very reminiscent of the slicing of the eyeball in Un Chien Andalou, but without the surreal inserts, much more clinical of course)
The relationship between the doctor and his disfigured daughter is deliciously ambiguous.
The only Ligotti connection that comes to my mind is the shots of the daughter with her mask. I recall that due to the use of black and white, you cannot really make a clear difference between plastic (or is it wax? or porcelain?) and flesh, making her really like a living mannikin....

I may have a copy of it on tape somewhere and I'd want to see it again before making more comments.

Best

"How he made them laugh... sometimes"
ElHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #3
scharpen
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 6,982, Level: 58 Points: 6,982, Level: 58 Points: 6,982, Level: 58
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
It's been some years since I've seen this film, as well, but in my memory it remains an intelligent, dignified film, which also packs a visceral punch that I hadn't been expecting. (A film that defies expectations certainly gets automatic points in my book.) My memory recommends it, and I have little reason to believe that a re-viewing of it would do much to contradict my memory.

-Gregory Scharpen
scharpen is offline   Reply With Quote