THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film > Contemporary Horror
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 02-01-2005   #1
DeathfareDevil
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,068, Level: 76 Points: 12,068, Level: 76 Points: 12,068, Level: 76
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
This "Salem's Lot" Business

Has anyone dared to watch the TNT remake of 'Salem's Lot -- starring Rob Lowe? I wasn't exactly enthused upon hearing of it, and after watching most of the first episode, I'm still not. But Donald Sutherland is pulling off quite the creepy performance, and such made me realize that he would be ideal in some sort of Ligottian role: Dr Voke, perhaps? Or the shop-owner in "The Clown Puppet"? There aren't many actors who can achieve that kind of weirdness. Anyway, I was just longing for some Ligotti-vibe, and in the absence of any, figured I would come here and complain. But now I'm too tired to do even that. Tongue
DeathfareDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #2
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Since the original version scared the wits out of me (back in the day), I was anxious to see the remake. I was upset when I realized that I had missed the first 30 minutes last night, but upon watching only a small portion I realized that the remake was typical made for TV drivel. Too bad...

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #3
Aetherwing
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Bah. Bah, I say.

The '70's version actually sent me to the refuge of a catholic buddy's house after I watched it as a child. This remake is taking everything good about the book (one of the few by SK I can still enjoy) and "contemporizing". All the add-in plot twists (making Doc Cody a philanderer, etc.) are pathetic.

I do agree with Devil, tho. Sutherland gives a good creepy performance. But then, Sutherland is a creepy kind of guy.

From the Strange High House,
-Aether

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

-Nikola Tesla, July of 1934
Aetherwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #4
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 29,326, Level: 100 Points: 29,326, Level: 100 Points: 29,326, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Quote Originally Posted by DeathfareDevil
Has anyone dared to watch the TNT remake of 'Salem's Lot -- starring Rob Lowe? I wasn't exactly enthused upon hearing of it, and after watching most of the first episode, I'm still not. But Donald Sutherland is pulling off quite the creepy performance, and such made me realize that he would be ideal in some sort of Ligottian role: Dr Voke, perhaps? Or the shop-owner in "The Clown Puppet"? There aren't many actors who can achieve that kind of weirdness. Anyway, I was just longing for some Ligotti-vibe, and in the absence of any, figured I would come here and complain. But now I'm too tired to do even that.
I second that. Although for the role of Voke, they would have to make him look hideously thin. He could also work as the shopkeeper in "The Greater Festival of Masks". He does have the aura.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote