Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-10-2017   #41
Mithras
Quotes:
Re: Are you a good person?

Quote Originally Posted by Knygathin View Post
Being good, generally means listening to your consciousness (not the mad callings of the brain),
I am not trying to be rude or supercilious, sir, but did you mean conscience?

One of my favorite mythological figures is Sraosha, and he's the Zoroastrian yazata (basically angel) representing the "Voice of Conscience" to bring about the moral state of the mind associated with "good purpose, mind, and thought" (Vohu Manah).
Old 03-10-2017   #42
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I try to be politically correct because I think being sensitive about language matters. Choosing the wrong words can create the wrong impression and people can't be blamed for not knowing which way you intended those words. The language which offends changes but the reasons why are more or less the same. There will always be a temptation to maintain your reputation in self-serving ways but you resist it. There will always be opportunists but you have to call them out for that.

Would you call a black person a "negro" in public just because that used to be the accepted term several decades ago?
How old was Harry Reid when the word Negro became taboo?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), miguel1984 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #43
Mithras
Quotes:

You aren't a good person if you don't like this video.

Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #44
Knygathin
Chymist
Points: 12,123, Level: 76 Points: 12,123, Level: 76 Points: 12,123, Level: 76
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Being good, generally means listening to your consciousness (not the mad callings of the brain),
I am not trying to be rude or supercilious, sir, but did you mean conscience? ...
Yes! Thank you.
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), Mithras (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #45
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

The average person can tell if something is meant in an insulting way or not. No rational man not a bigot would address a black man as a Negro.

Personally, I don't like to be around people who 'guard' their language. If I'm talking with a bigot, I'd like to know it.

Orwell knew if you control the language, you control the thoughts, then you control the man. I'll leave public shaming to the fascists. They were very good at it.

I don't believe "politically correct" people are all fascists by the way: a lot of good intelligent people bought the goods the intolerant guys sell and think they're doing a Good Thing.

And that's too damn bad.

Wright is certainly right on one thing: this climate of political correctness and subsequent witch hunts helped hand Trump the victory.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cnev (03-10-2017), Kevin (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #46
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
The average person can tell if something is meant in an insulting way or not.
I'm not sure about that. You have to consider immigrants and foreign audiences who're not as familiar with the language. Sarcasm or irony might not read as easily to them.
Sometimes people are really sly and subtle with their bigotry and keep things purposefully ambiguous.

Words like "midget" are still quite commonly used and it surprises me but I don't assume everyone hears it the same way.

I recently learned "oriental" has a big history of being used to bully. I recently noticed Walter in The Big Lebowski talking about that. It's a tricky one.

Old 03-10-2017   #47
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

I don't see Oriental as being an insult anymore than Caucasian. Really.

But Wright points out that "white man" has been turned from a descriptive phrase into an insult. Maybe it's all in the eye of the beholder. I enjoy talking with people who aren't conscious of their every word. Believe me, Robert, if I'm insulted, I know it.

And I usually don't care LOL.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Kevin (03-11-2017), Mithras (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #48
Knygathin
Chymist
Points: 12,123, Level: 76 Points: 12,123, Level: 76 Points: 12,123, Level: 76
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
I try to be politically correct because I think being sensitive about language matters. ...

Would you call a black person a "negro" in public just because that used to be the accepted term several decades ago?...
No, I would not, if I sensed it would cause an uncomfortable or threatening situation. "Black" is the term generally used today. Some may accept, and use, "negro", even among blacks themselves. Social competence and fine tuning, is important to be able to communicate with people. There is no point in creating conflict for the sake of conflict.

(Political correctness concerns more than the superficiality of the words you select for use in communication. It also, more substantially and importantly, defines your political outlook and interpretation of reality.)

I don't consider "negro" a negatively charged word. It is a neutral word. Political correctness have choosen to mark it down as a negative word. Because of that I don't use it in public. "N_gger" on the other hand, is clearly a negative and abusive word.

If defining an ethnic or racial group, I like to be able to use words like "arab", "indian", "japanese", "chinese", "white european", "mongol", "negro" (or perhaps, more specifically, for example "congolese" or "somali", since Africa is a huge continent, with variations).

The political correctness of the present time we live in now, is intent on removing racial differences, by mixing everybody up. Dissolving independent nations, breaking down country borders, and thereby mixing everybody up. It is on purpose, to eradicate inequalities and dissimilarities, and get better control over humanity as a whole. I am opposed to that enforced totalitarian New World Order agenda.
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cnev (03-10-2017), Mithras (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #49
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I don't see Oriental as being an insult anymore than Caucasian. Really.
Lots of Asians have been insulted that way. That surprised me but they'd know better than I would.

Old 03-10-2017   #50
Mithras
Quotes:

The political correctness of the present time we live in now, is intent on removing racial differences, by mixing everybody up. Dissolving independent nations, breaking down country borders, and thereby mixing everybody up. It is on purpose, to eradicate inequalities and dissimilarities, and get better control over humanity as a whole. I am opposed to that enforced totalitarian New World Order agenda.
I agree with the basic gist of what you're saying, but I think it's being done to facilitate free trade on a global level.

Countries are increasingly becoming more defined by the value of a currency than a common culture or race.

Last edited by Mithras; 03-11-2017 at 11:56 AM..