THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 1 Week Ago   #401
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 13,677, Level: 80 Points: 13,677, Level: 80 Points: 13,677, Level: 80
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Trump

Some are like that about global warming.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #402
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 60,166, Level: 100 Points: 60,166, Level: 100 Points: 60,166, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

When I discovered Stephen Cohen and realized he had the same ideas as I did, the same ones I had written about on TLO, I felt the window for positive action on Russia was closing. Perhaps the nightmare steed is already out of the barn and the rest is just Inevitability.

You never recognize The Old Man until He's at the door.

Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #403
James
Grimscribe
Points: 14,293, Level: 82 Points: 14,293, Level: 82 Points: 14,293, Level: 82
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
Liberals and many Republicans are too busy demonizing Putin
I think Putin is doing a good job of that what with all the murders and things.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Nemonymous (1 Week Ago), Trau (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #404
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 13,677, Level: 80 Points: 13,677, Level: 80 Points: 13,677, Level: 80
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Druidic, aren't you worried about the way Bannon openly talks about war with China?
Steve Bannon: 'We're going to war in the South China Sea ... no doubt' | US news | The Guardian

Putin is horrible but I don't think he'd try to bomb America because there's no way Russia would escape an enormous retaliation.

I think Trump might want to bomb someone in the heat of a bad moment but I hope nobody would follow his orders.

North Korea might be unhinged enough but I doubt any other country will stick their neck out for them and they might know that.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Nemonymous (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #405
Trau
Mannikin
Points: 1,989, Level: 27 Points: 1,989, Level: 27 Points: 1,989, Level: 27
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I saw it as well. What bothered you, Des? I saw it as alternately pragmatic and witty. This guy isn't a traditional pol but those who voted for him didn't want business as usual.

For me, it's all about improving relations with Russia and avoiding an all-out renewed Cold (Hot?) War.

Are we witnessing the birth of a new type of Pol? Or is this just Trump's style, a style that wouldn't work for others?

Many Americans see something different than our European cousins. Interesting though.
When I read this post, I couldn't help but think of Sam Harris' comments on Trump from his most recent podcast episode. I used to be a big fan of Sam Harris, but now I find him to be intensely problematic. Few people, however, have so skillfully argued for Trump's absolute lack of fitness for any public office. Comments transcribed here:

"I havent heard any defense of Trump that concedes his most obvious flaws as a person, much less explains why these flaws dont matter. This is what you would have to do to defend him in an interesting way.

I really find this alarming: the people who defend Trump do not admit that theres anything wrong with him.

Its like the most they can concede is that hes uncensored and will inevitably offend some people.

Heres what I think is true: there isnt a single fortune 500 company or a reputable university or any other respectable institution which has a board of directors, which three years ago would have said the following:

You know what we need to take our organization to the next level? We need a truly brilliant leader. We need someone with vision, and integrity, some who is ethical and deeply knowledgeable. We need the wisest person we can find to take us forward at this point. You know who we need? We need Donald Trump.

I am confident that, had those words been uttered in any board room in America, the result would have been derisive laughter. And there are good reasons for that.

And yet now Trump is president of the United States. And all the reasons why people would laugh three years ago are even more obvious now. But the people who support him dont concede any of his obvious flaws. They think theyve re-branded his pettiness and vindictiveness and boastfulness and dishonesty and inarticulateness as some sort of 21st century virtues.

When Trump stands up in front of the memorial wall at the CIA and brags about the size of his inauguration crowd, or rather brags about the size he hallucinated, or brags about how many times hes been on the cover of Time Magazine, this isnt stagecraft. This isnt some brilliant manipulation of the media. This isnt some next-level communication.

This is his psychopathology leaking out into the world. This is what youd have to do to defend Trumpyoud really have to reconstrue him in a compelling way. And I dont see how thats possible.

When I see Trump in moments like that, as plain as day, I see the confessions of a disordered personality. I see a child in a mans body. And so it is with his tweets.

Ask yourself: how would Trump look if he really were an utter narcissist and a pathological liar? If you dont believe that he is these things, the question is: how would he have to appear to BE these things to you? What would constitute evidence of narcissism and dishonesty?

I think if you can get out of your echo chamber for a second, and just dispassionately look at the situation, you will see that Trump could give no more evidence of these things if he tried.

Look at his life. Look at the reflexiveness with which he lies about everything, and has done so for decades. My argument is there could not be more evidence. And thats a problem.

So if youre going to defend Trump, you have to argue that, somehow, what I said isnt true. And thats hard, because, again, it is one of the most obvious things ever displayed by another human being. Calling Trump a pathological liar at this point is a lot like saying Michael Jordan was a great basketball player. This is not open to much interpretation. And so it is with most of his other flaws.

As I said, Trump himself is so alarming, just as a person, and the degree to which his egocentricity and lying have damaged our public conversation is so startling, that I cant even worry about the theocrats hes brought with him into government."
https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...-me-anything-6
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (1 Week Ago), gveranon (1 Week Ago), James (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Nemonymous (1 Week Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #406
James
Grimscribe
Points: 14,293, Level: 82 Points: 14,293, Level: 82 Points: 14,293, Level: 82
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

I'm a fan of Sam Harris. He's a sobering voice of sanity in an increasingly alienating cultural landscape of ideological bifurcation. I was reminded of his skewering of Trump when I saw this clip today:

It is beyond my comprehension intelligent people could watch this without looking at one another with a look of pure 'WTF!?'. It's nonsense. It's how a fiction writer would write a parody of an idiot. How much clearer does it need to be that this man is unfit for duty?

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
beakripped (1 Week Ago), mgriffin (5 Days Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Nemonymous (1 Week Ago), qcrisp (1 Week Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (1 Week Ago), Trau (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #407
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 54,395, Level: 100 Points: 54,395, Level: 100 Points: 54,395, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

"... I can't believe I'm saying I'm a politician, but I guess that's what I am now..."

"人生夢幻耳" - 高井鴻山
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Raul Urraca (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #408
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 54,395, Level: 100 Points: 54,395, Level: 100 Points: 54,395, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

After a day of peculiar strain and weariness, I laughed a great deal at this, I'm not sure whether in an entirely healthy way.

I see a comment under the video:

"It would appear that America currently has no government."

"人生夢幻耳" - 高井鴻山
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cnev (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #409
Cnev
Chymist
Points: 9,530, Level: 67 Points: 9,530, Level: 67 Points: 9,530, Level: 67
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

"You know what uranium is, right? Just think of nuclear weapons and other things like.....lots of things are done with uranium including some bad things."

That part was especially hilarious to me.

Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.

-Schopenhauer
Cnev is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
beakripped (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), qcrisp (1 Week Ago), Trau (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #410
Revenant
Mystic
Points: 3,568, Level: 39 Points: 3,568, Level: 39 Points: 3,568, Level: 39
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Everything is coming apart, just as I had planned! Bwa Ha Ha!!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H. P. Lovecraft
Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote