THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Various
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 02-15-2015   #271
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Favorite Bands?

This is just a cut and paste from my personal profile. I found it too difficult to narrow down. Some of these bands I just really love a couple of tracks by, others are full blown obsessions.

Swans/World Of Skin/Angels of Light, American Music Club/Mark Eitzel/Toiling Midgets, Beach Boys/Dennis Wilson/Brian Wilson, Kristen Hersh, Pixies/Frank Black/Catholics/The Breeders, Diamanda Galas, Sigur Ros, Public Image Limited, Smashing Pumpkins, Durutti Column, The Daysleepers, Mew, The Veldt/Apollo Heights, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Sianspheric, Idaho, Miranda Sex Garden, Codeine, Decoder Ring, The Young Gods, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, Lycia/Bleak/Estraya/Mike Vanpotfleet/Tara Vanflower, Bark Psychosis, Kitchens Of Distinction, Bel Canto, Pale Saints, Field Mice, The Sundays, Galaxie 500/Damon and Naomi, Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Drive By Truckers, David Byrne/Talking Heads, Judee Sill, Current 93, Talk Talk, YES/Jon Anderson/Rick Wakeman/Chris Squire, Ulrich Schnauss, Melt Banana, The Boredoms, The Band, Catherine Wheel, Area/Moon Seven Times/Lanterna, Lilys, AR Kane, Slint, June Tabor, Kramer/Bongwater, Slowdive/Mojave 3, Ween, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth, Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon, Scott Walker, The Cure, The Glove, Swell, Cranes, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Kevin Tihista, The Replacements, Knife+Fork, Leonard Cohen, Hex, Virgin Prunes, Auburn Lull, Julee Cruise, Love Spirals Downwards, The Chameleons, Con Dolore/Polar, Cocteau Twins/Robin Guthrie, Low, The Autumns, Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard, Chapterhouse, Pavement/Stephen Malkmus, Radiohead, The Smiths/Morrissey, Joy Division, Portishead, Meat Puppets, PJ Harvey, Neil Young, Field Music, Dinosaur Jr, British Sea Power, John Cale, REM, Captain Beefheart, Nick Cave, Brian Eno, Scritti Politti, Throbbing Gristle, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Piano Magic, Christian Death, Death Vessel, Mars, Faith and Disease, Van Der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill, Towering Inferno, Jesu/Godflesh, Battles, Husker Du, Glenn Branca, Ariel Pink, Faith and the Muse, Death, Soul Whirling Somewhere, Rush, Jon And Vangelis, Glee Club, The Knife/Fever Ray, Swallow, Judgement of Paris, King Crimson, Mistle Thrush, Lisa Germano, Trance To The Sun/Submarine Fleet, This Ascension, Jethro Tull, Klima, Bach, Opeth, Focus, Alcest, Teenage Filmstars, Frost(prog), Boris, Carcass, Guapo, Nobuo Uematsu, Bizarre, Akira Yamaoka, Pieter Nooten & Michael Brook, Khanate, Tears For Fears, Rise and Fall of a Decade, Genesis, IQ, Emperor/Peccatum, Mary Margaret O Hara, Angelo Badalamenti, Michiru Yamane, Egg, This Mortal Coil, Hiroki Kikuta, Cairo, Vangelis, Cynic, Devil Doll (Mr Doctor), David Sylvian, Jacula/Antonius Rex, The Residents, Mellonta Tauta, Renaissance, Clan of Xymox, Pulsar, Alisons Halo, Chu Ishikawa, Mortiis, Magma, XTC, Foetus, Kate Bush, Hum, Wolfgang Press, Pylon, Colfax Abbey, Legendary Pink Dots, HTRK, Goblin/Libra, And Also The Trees, P-Model/Susumu Hirasawa, John Grant, Mors Syphilitica/Requiem In White, ELP, Cardiacs, The Enid , Camel, Wishbone Ash, Laura Nyro, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Tindersticks, Grouper, Burzum, Unto Ashes, Aether, Aghast, YMO, Immortal, Shallow, Mayhem, Semiramis, His Name Is Alive, Deathspell Omega, John Martyn, Lowlife, Wolves In The Throne Room, Esben And The Witch, Lush, Neurosis, Andrzej Korzynski, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Skinny Puppy, Ruins/Koenjihyakkei, Judas Priest, Twelfth Of Never, Sad Lovers And Giants, Enslaved, Queen Adreena/Daisy Chainsaw/Ruby Throat, The Church, Breathless, Bathory, Animal Collective, Blue Nile, Jeff Buckley, Curve, Comus, Art Zoyd, In The Nursery, Lovesliescrushing, Amon Duul II, Lydia Lunch, Procol Harum, Celtic Frost, God Machine, Gentle Giant, Voivod, Bat For Lashes, Tangerine Dream, Boo Radleys, Moody Blues, The Vyllies, Angel Witch, Rosewater Elizabeth, The Stranglers, Stare, Disco Inferno, Insides, Slapp Happy, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Linda Perhacs, Shirley and Dolly Collins, Havergal Brian, Fleetwood Mac

When I update it Summoning, Supersister and Wire will be added.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (02-15-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (02-16-2015), miguel1984 (02-16-2015), ToALonelyPeace (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015   #272
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I seem a similarity in a few of our favorite bands: Tom Waits and Joy Division.

For me: Godspeed You Black Emperor, King Crimson, A Perfect Circle, Thrice, Manchester Orchestra, Sparklehorse, Radiohead, The Be Good Tanya, Nine Inch Nails, Matryoshka (My Funeral Rehearsal), Mono, Eyedea.

There are others too, but I only like one or two songs from them.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (02-15-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (02-16-2015), miguel1984 (02-16-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015   #273
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

See? This is the problem when I make lists: I always forget someone or something; in this case: Godspeed You Black Emperor, Joy Division, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Sonic Youth, The Cure and The Velvet Underground. Oh, and Arcade Fire, Crystal Stilts, Current 93, Ivy, Saint Vincent and Warpaint.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.

Last edited by miguel1984; 02-17-2015 at 08:39 AM..
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (02-16-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (02-16-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015   #274
Frater_Tsalal
Grimscribe
Points: 24,926, Level: 100 Points: 24,926, Level: 100 Points: 24,926, Level: 100
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

If I had to name my top ten bands at this point in time I would say (in no order):

Siouxsie & the Banshees, Current 93, Nine Inch Nails, Throbbing Gristle, Madonna, Whitehouse, Lady Gaga, Joy Division, Suzanne Vega, Dead Can Dance

(10 to 20 would probably be Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd, The Residents, Nico, The Velvet Underground, Suicide, Depeche Mode, Cut Hands, Ministry, Emerson, Lake & Palmer)

My top ten albums (again, in no order):

The Holy Bible (Manic Street Preachers)
The Marble Index (Nico)
Imperium (Current 93)
The Wall (Pink Floyd)
Third Reich & Roll (The Residents)
Daydream Nation (Sonic Youth)
Black Celebration (Depeche Mode)
Horse Rotorvator (Coil)
The Downward Spiral (Nine Inch Nails)
Asceticists 2006 (Whitehouse)

“Human life is limited but I would like to live forever.”
-Yukio Mishima
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (02-16-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (02-16-2015)
Old 02-17-2015   #275
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100

Add this women to my list: Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, P.J. Harvey, Regina Spektor and Tori Amos; I am sure there are more, but these are the ones I remember right now. Oh, and Air, Death in Vegas, Zero 7 and New Order. And two including one of my favorites guitarists of all time, Kevin Shields: My Bloody Valentine and Le Volume Courbe.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.

Last edited by miguel1984; 02-21-2015 at 07:37 AM..
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (03-12-2015)
Old 07-09-2015   #276
MoeShinola1
Mannikin
Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5 Points: 267, Level: 5
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Stereolab, Judee Sill, Ali Farke Toure, Tinariwen, King's X, Wipers, Comet Gain, Capsule, Daft Punk, Astronaut Wife, Call And Response, Grateful Dead, Covenant, Novakill(I made patchbanks for some of Bones' softsynths), Steve Roach, Makyo, Cocteau Twins, Blonde Redhead, Blind Willie Johnson, Earl King, October Project, The Soft Pack, The Nocturnes, Eric Johnson, also various local Kansas City musicians, Trampled Under Foot(my cousins!), Chad Rex, Kasey Rausch, Betse Ellis, Giant's Chair, Panel Donor

"Every man's ME is the dullest part of him!"
- William S. Burroughs, Paradise Mislaid

Last edited by MoeShinola1; 07-09-2015 at 07:17 PM..
MoeShinola1 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (06-03-2016), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (07-09-2015), miguel1984 (07-09-2015)