Old 10-25-2012   #1
RaleC
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 2,980, Level: 35 Points: 2,980, Level: 35 Points: 2,980, Level: 35
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hval

Just came across this while spring cleaning my files today, and couldn't think of a less appropriate place to deploy it back out into the world.

What it is: A commission for a swanky NYE party in 2009/10. They wanted a set of original music performed (amongst a whole evening of Gucci wearing djs spinning other peoples tracks) and this is what me and my buddy came up with.

Kinda similar to John Carpenter, Kevin Shield's Lost In Translation OST, Daft Punk and Suicide. This was what went out live - probably a good caveat against hiring a guitar player to write and perform EDM. Actually, no - this is why you should. We PLAYED most of what you hear. How weird is that?

Intro is Wendy Carlos playing Purcell - with some live effect manipulation. Everything else is Jimand I. Oh, and a sample of my girl abusing me for "not counting 4" while we were recording. At 12.50. I guess she must have played on some of the backing track for this too.

We cribbed "Hval" from Melville.

http://www.paperwolves.org/hval/hval_nye_2010.m4a

To bake at home you will require the following ingredients: Yamaha bass. Fender Jaguar special (uses humbuckers instead of single coils) with Seymour Duncan pickups. Actually, now I think about it it was my mexican fender strat with single coils. Both directly into 2 Macbook Pros - last model and the one before that - via motu audio interface and internal soundflower routing. Shure 58 mic. Roland 101. Alesis hr-16 through a boss distortion guitar pedal (the orange one) and a digital delay guitar pedal. Old Rythm box - cant remember brand. Speak and spell clone with the front kicked in. Micro Korg. Old Sampler - cant remember which brand. 2x Midi keyboards - one was an akai, the other a smallish line 7 with a little mixer controller built in. Korg drum pad midi controller. A mixer that looked very slick that I have no idea who owned. A giant set of club speakers. Probably other things that I can't recall - it's been 2 years after-all; and it was NYE. Logic. Ableton Live.

Last edited by RaleC; 10-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Ingredients List Added
RaleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (10-28-2012)