THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-27-2010   #1
BobFrank
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,937, Level: 47 Points: 4,937, Level: 47 Points: 4,937, Level: 47
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
A PC game based on The Nightmare Network

I'm currently entertaining the idea of making an adventure game based on The Nightmare Network (the short story at the end of My Work is Not Yet Done). For those of you who don't know, adventure games are a rare breed that are much more like films than anything else; they focus on plot and dialogue and very rarely have standardised combat systems, with each conflict being a unique puzzle which is entirely ingrained in the story.

Before anything, I'd like to write a script (not computer script but more like a film script) for the game, which I was wondering if any of you would like to help with.

First though, can somebody please explain The Nightmare Network as simply as possible? The acronyms and corporate jargon have got me a bit confused. I find the first paragraph of Classified Ad III particularly impenetrable.

I have a few ideas already. I won't necessarily stick directly to the story. In fact, The Nightmare Network isn't so much a story as a setting. An amazing setting with great potential for a horror game; I love the idea of OneiriCon, its corporate evil and its enslavement of the human race through entertainment (that's what they sell, right? Technologically induced sensations?) Although I don't think it's explicitly mentioned, I'd make it so that all humans outside of corporate employees are ALs (what does that stand for anyway?); there is no "normal" world to escape to.

Also, I think it would best suit a short game in which you alternately play one of two characters. One, a security guard, who begins by being called to the crisis in cube 606. Two, one of the higher ranking executives who is involved in corporate espionage.

I have actually been working on a game with an original story but I've got a huge case of writer's block (which maybe one of you could help me with?) and have decided to make a short game based on The Nightmare Network instead, using the engine I created for my original game.
BobFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
9 Thanks From:
candy (09-23-2010), Dr. Bantham (05-27-2010), G>O>M>E (05-30-2010), G. S. Carnivals (09-07-2010), hypnogeist (05-27-2010), Mr. D. (09-25-2010), njhorror (05-27-2010), paeng (09-09-2010), sundog (09-07-2010)
Old 09-07-2010   #2
sundog
Chymist
Points: 15,501, Level: 85 Points: 15,501, Level: 85 Points: 15,501, Level: 85
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Re: A PC game based on The Nightmare Network

Perhaps more than any other of Ligotti's stories 'The Nightmare Network' invites elaboration on the part of the reader's imagination. One of the characteristics that make it do so is the way in which most of it is structured as a collection of classified ads, memos, notes and descriptions of film(-like) sequences, all originating from within, or pertaining in some way to, the Major Supercorp 'OneiriCon' and its hostile merger with 'The Nightmare Network'. This merger, being quite an abstract event, is pregnant with a multitude of concrete horrors, most of which aren't really specified in the story, thus making its grip on the imagination all the more firm. Given the story's potentially very strong engagement of the reader's imagination I can see how you have been inspired to create a PC game based (somewhat loosely) on it. I myself have not kept up with such games since the mid 1990's. I'm sure I'm missing out on something, but I just find playing them too time-consuming. I distinctly remember sitting on my bed in my room one night when I was 14 years old, and thinking of locking myself up in a closet for a day or two in order to avoid playing DOOM for at least that period of time.
I guess you could say I had developed an unhealthy addiction to that first-person shooter game. I never got any homework done and sat red-eyed all day in school, fantasizing of killing my classmates off with a chainsaw, a shotgun, a rocket launcher or any of the other weapons available in the game. It was beginning to look like my own personal DOOM. But then I became fond of listening to Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson instead (not anymore!).

A PC game I have more pleasant memories of playing as a kid is 'The 7th Guest'. I recently saw the whole game through on youtube as a way of refamiliarizing myself with who I was back then. It's still kind of spooky.

My relationship with computergames being as it is, I wouldn't be the right one to help out with writing a script for one. But reading your post got me thinking about other possible games - real-life ones - involving the Nightmare Network.

When first I read the opening paragraph of 'The Nightmare Network', that is 'CLASSIFIED AD I', I remember wondering what the reactions of some people would be if they came across the ad while actually being in the process of seeking a job for themselves. Whether or not they would take it seriously, would they be sufficiently intrigued to pay the webpage of the corporation a visit? And if so, what would that webpage look like? Presently, as you can see, it only features a mock-up of what I imagine the logo could look like. Among the different elements it should have is an application-form for the applicant to fill out. If done satisfactorily the applicant will then receive a password to an area of the webpage that congratulates he or she on coming so far, whereafter it presents details of a test-assignment (probably involving the use of a camera) that the applicant has to carry out and submit to the corporation in order to make further advancement. This 'test-assignment' will have to be interesting to carry out on the part of the applicant if the game is to have any chance of proceeding. I have different ideas as to how exactly this test-assignment should read, but on the whole this project, or real-life game as I like to think of it, is still very much on the drawing table. If anyone here are interested in contributing to it, or co-developing it with me, it could be great fun. And since OneiriCon is a multinational corporation it would be nice to have someone who are adept at doing visual design and/or creating flashy webpages take part. This, of course, can only go ahead if it is alright with Thomas Ligotti to use some of his writing from 'The Nightmare Network' in the project. I'm thinking specifically of 'CLASSIFIED AD I' and 'Memo from the CEO'.

THE NIGHTMARE OF THE PAST
BECOMES THE DREAM OF THE FUTURE
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
alogos (09-22-2010), G. S. Carnivals (09-07-2010), Mr. D. (09-25-2010), paeng (09-09-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (09-07-2010)
Old 09-19-2010   #3
BobFrank
Mannikin
Threadstarter
Points: 4,937, Level: 47 Points: 4,937, Level: 47 Points: 4,937, Level: 47
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Very interesting... So what you're starting up is an ARG like Marble Hornets? You can watch the clues - numbered videos - on YouTube.
BobFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
alogos (09-22-2010), Mr. D. (09-25-2010), sundog (09-24-2010)
Old 09-22-2010   #4
Jonathan Dread
Mannikin
Points: 3,197, Level: 36 Points: 3,197, Level: 36 Points: 3,197, Level: 36
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Hello,

I’m a first time poster on TLO (in fact a first time poster anywhere!)

I think Nightmare Network would provide an excellent backdrop for an adventure game. When reading the Nightmare Network, it took me a mental change of gear as the style is so different from My Work is Not Yet Done.
I too was a little baffled by some of the acronyms and jargon, but I suspect we are supposed to be. I think the lack of explanation and general feeling of confusion in Nightmare Network fits in well with the idea of an adventure game, especially if there is an element of having to solve puzzles.

The copy of Nightmare Network that I read was from a library and so I don’t have it to hand to refer to specifics. Instead I will try and refer to the general feeling the story gave me and how it could be portrayed in an adventure game.

The feeling I had when I was reading it, was that sense of something wonderful initially being presented, something that can surely only provide benefit and a massive leap in progress for humanity - only for that to slowly descend into a nightmarish insanity. People being reduced to a base level of animal-like savagery, with a complete loss of human self.

I’ve played games such as “Dead Space” and “Bioshock” which I think have that same feeling of slow, creeping dread. The atmosphere providing a large part of the games’ appeal, but I appreciate that they are more shooter games.

Certainly Nightmare Network had a futuristic feel to it for me, which gives a lot of scope for what you could incorporate into the game in terms of technology used in the plot, the forms that any puzzles may take and extension of characters (androids for example?)

I really like the idea that you can have a choice of characters:
Taking the security guard character as an example, I would guess his objectives would be to try and work out what on earth happened in cube 606 (would other similar events start breaking out in the corporation?). Alternatively, it may be that he wants to get the hell out of the corporation following what he’s seen. Possibly with a growing sense of urgency as he uncovers more horrors as the Nightmare Network grows more influential? Maybe it could involve working out who he can trust and what can be used to assist his escape?
Or like sundog’s example, taking the view right from the start as an applicant to the corporation in answer to an advertisement and then have the horror slowly unfold as it slowly dawns on you what you have let yourself in for!

From my limited knowledge of adventure games, there isn’t so much emphasis on health meters, as you don’t have the typical combat scenarios.
You could have an “insanity meter”, which could go up and down depending on the choices you make and the sights you are subjected to. Maybe as you become more insane according to the meter, the screen can take on a more distorted and unsettling view. Maybe added sounds or visions to give that extra feeling of discomfort.
Or a “company loyalty” meter, affected in a similar way – by avoiding suspicion and by making friends with the right people. You wouldn’t want the loyalty meter to drop too low and alert the corporation to your presence and possible treachery.

As a side note: The event in cube 606 reminded me very clearly of a scene in the film “Event Horizon” (Liberate tu te me) If you have seen this film you will know exactly what I’m referring to. If you haven’t I can certainly elaborate, but I want to be cautious about ruining the film’s plot for anyone!

I hope I haven’t got carried away here and some of my ramblings here are useful, and hopefully I’ve got the right idea?
I would certainly be interested in chipping in any ideas if you think I’m on the right track to what you have in mind.

JD
Jonathan Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
BobFrank (10-02-2010), candy (09-23-2010), G. S. Carnivals (09-22-2010), Mr. D. (09-25-2010), njhorror (10-04-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (09-22-2010), sundog (09-24-2010)
Old 09-22-2010   #5
alogos
Mannikin
Points: 6,224, Level: 54 Points: 6,224, Level: 54 Points: 6,224, Level: 54
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Quote Originally Posted by BobFrank View Post
Very interesting... So what you're starting up is an ARG like Marble Hornets? You can watch the clues - numbered videos - on YouTube.
I had never heard of an
Alternative_reality_game Alternative_reality_game
before. Frankly the idea of a Ligotti Alternate Reality Game is something I could totally get behind, I wonder if it is something that can be done on by a motivated fan base as it doesn't seem to require to much programming skill, and if it is something Thomas Ligotti himself would approve of or even get behind.
alogos is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Mr. D. (09-25-2010), sundog (09-24-2010)
Old 09-23-2010   #6
Jonathan Dread
Mannikin
Points: 3,197, Level: 36 Points: 3,197, Level: 36 Points: 3,197, Level: 36
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Sorry, I didn't cotton on to the ARG reference before as I've not had too much experience with Alternate Reality Games.
Having now had a quick look into what they involve, they do sound a superb format for the Nightmare Network idea.
Not least because of some of the terminology involved:

Puppetmaster - A puppetmaster or "PM" is an individual involved in designing and/or running an ARG. Puppetmasters are simultaneously allies and adversaries to the player base, creating obstacles and providing resources for overcoming them in the course of telling the game's story. Puppetmasters generally remain behind the curtain while a game is running. The real identity of puppet masters may or may not be known ahead of time.

Rabbithole - Also known as a Trailhead. A Rabbithole marks the first website, contact, or puzzle that starts off the ARG.

(Terminology source- wikipedia)

I guessing the "Rabbithole" would be what sundog was referring to in his description of the advert and website?

Any game format that can sound sinister simply by its terminology has to be good!

JD
Jonathan Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Mr. D. (09-25-2010), sundog (09-24-2010)
Old 09-24-2010   #7
sundog
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by BobFrank View Post
Very much so. But I really had no idea it was called an 'Alternate Reality Game' and that it is already such an established phenomenon as that very thorough wikipedia article about it seems to suggest. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (09-25-2010)
Old 09-24-2010   #8
sundog
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Dread View Post
Sorry, I didn't cotton on to the ARG reference before as I've not had too much experience with Alternate Reality Games.
Having now had a quick look into what they involve, they do sound a superb format for the Nightmare Network idea.
Not least because of some of the terminology involved:

Puppetmaster - A puppetmaster or "PM" is an individual involved in designing and/or running an ARG. Puppetmasters are simultaneously allies and adversaries to the player base, creating obstacles and providing resources for overcoming them in the course of telling the game's story. Puppetmasters generally remain behind the curtain while a game is running. The real identity of puppet masters may or may not be known ahead of time.

Rabbithole - Also known as a Trailhead. A Rabbithole marks the first website, contact, or puzzle that starts off the ARG.

(Terminology source- wikipedia)

I guessing the "Rabbithole" would be what sundog was referring to in his description of the advert and website?

Any game format that can sound sinister simply by its terminology has to be good!

JD
Yes Jonathan, a 'Rabbithole' is exactly what I intend the advert and website to be. The advert could come in many different forms. As a job ad among other job ads in newspapers, as huge posters put up in desperate parts of degenerate cities and as flyers dealt out on the streets and in the bars of those cities. All carried out by low-level OneiriCon employees of course. Would you be interested in joining? With your imagination I'm sure you would swiftly climb up the corporate hierarchy and perhaps wake up one day after a major substitution procedure to find the decapitated head of a corporeal Noncon grafted onto your torso.
The sky is the limit.
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (09-25-2010)
Old 09-24-2010   #9
sundog
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by alogos View Post
I had never heard of an ARG before. Frankly the idea of a Ligotti Alternate Reality Game is something I could totally get behind, I wonder if it is something that can be done on by a motivated fan base as it doesn't seem to require to much programming skill, and if it is something Thomas Ligotti himself would approve of or even get behind.
I'm sure it can alogos, but I think, in order for it to work and for it to be exciting for the game-participants and to us Puppetmasters it has to be very consistent in its TINAG (This Is Not A Game) aesthetic - to use ARG terminology. This would mean that we do in fact need someone on board who are capable of creating a very professionally looking website and someone who are good at graphic design (for the adverts). A multinational corporation like OneiriCon can't do with a shabby visual interface between itself and the public. Having said so, the most important thing of course is the story-line, which I still feel should be quite loose and improvised upon as the game progresses. There should be plenty of 'room to dream' so to speak. This will also be the real challenge for the Puppetmasters - to keep the applicants playing along, without them knowing for sure that it is a game, while being unsure ourselves of the ultimate purpose of it all. If there is a purpose that won't be gradually subverted or emasculated by the hostile merger with The Nightmare Network which is bound to occur sooner or later.

I too wonder if Ligotti would approve of this use of his story, if he has ever found himself, knowingly or unknowingly, in the middle of an ARG, and if he might be interested in participating in the creation of one together with some of his fans.

From the webpage of "the single most important tool for ARGers":

"After a long day of surfing the web, you crash hard and sleep soundly. But suddenly you are awakened by the persistent ringing of your phone.

You answer it, and the voice at the other end speaks sinisterly, "If you know what's good for you, you'll back off. You don't want this, you really don't."

You're sitting in the dark at 3:00 a.m., staring at the now-dead phone, thinking to yourself, "What have I gotten into?" Then you remember the strange web site you signed up for earlier that evening on a lark. You realize that whoever they are, they already know a lot more about you than you do about them.

You'd better get cracking.

Welcome to the world of Alternate Reality Gaming.

Welcome to unfiction."

Last edited by sundog; 09-24-2010 at 12:47 PM..
2 Thanks From:
alogos (10-04-2010), Mr. D. (09-25-2010)
Old 09-24-2010   #10
sundog
Chymist

5 Thanks From:
alogos (10-04-2010), G. S. Carnivals (09-24-2010), Mr. D. (09-25-2010), njhorror (10-04-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (09-24-2010)