THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Members > Personal
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-27-2005   #41
barrywood
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
hello Richard Gavin

Hello Richard:

I've written down the information for the Halifax library. I'll give it to them on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday here. The library can say no, but they certainly might say yes too. I just have to fill out a request form there.

And in any respect, I have a few other authors from here I'm interesting in requesting as well.

My best to you, Richard.

Barry Wood

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #42
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100
Re: Who Are You?

Hello everyone,
I'm Slawek Wielhorski and I'm from Poland which is quite an exceptional phenomenon for a Ligotti fan. Actually I've never met a Pole who would know any fiction by Ligotti. Up to now there is only one of his short stories which has been translated into my native language - "The Shadow, The Darkness". It's a shame because I think that his works would appeal to Polish readers.
Anyway, what can I say about myself? As you might have noticed I'm quite new here (it's my second day). I'm 20 and I live in the capital, Warsaw, which is a real heart of horror (full of IMMENSE concrete blocks, other communist buildings and unhappy people with expressionless manikin-like faces), but I still like it. I study international relations, and I have no idea what made me choose these studies. As soon as I finish i'm planning to go to a film school.
As to my hobbies, I used to collect horror fiction (books and movies), and not because I love this genre so much. I was looking for something utterly unsettling and akin to my perception of fear... something Ligotti would write.
I also write short stories, which from time to time appear on the internet. I'm still trying to get published in fantasy magazines. It is a great surprise for me to find out that there are so many writers on TLO. I'll try to read your works as soon as possible.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily

Last edited by yellowish haze; 08-28-2017 at 09:53 AM..
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009)
Old 03-27-2005   #43
unknown
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100
Send a message via AIM to unknown
welcome, slawek!

there is no stronger drug than reality

yog-sothoth
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #44
EddieMA
Acolyte
Points: 8,877, Level: 65 Points: 8,877, Level: 65 Points: 8,877, Level: 65
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Greetings, Slawek! It's great to welcome another member from a country that's not the US, Canada, or the UK ;) I'm Eddie M. Angerhuber, I'm from Germany. So we're almost neighbours!
Have you read Bruno Schulz's works? I'm not capable of reading Polish and know only the German translations of his stories. Great author, I love his work. If you love Ligotti, you should love Schulz ;) Have lots of fun here,

My best, Eddie M.A.
www.ligotti.de.vu
EddieMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
yellowish haze (10-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2005   #45
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100

Hi EddieMA!
Thanks for this warm reception. Good to know you, especially because we are in the same time zone. My problem is that when I wake up there is practically nobody online, the whole TLO is asleep. I hope that from time to time we will stumble across ourselves in the early mornings. Wir konnen Deutsch sprechen auch - but this maybe better privately .
As to Bruno Schulz I just bought his whole body works and I'll be getting started with it in the near future.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Old 04-12-2005   #46
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Hi Everyone,

I've finally gotten around to actually reading the posts in this website. You all seem like a great bunch of folks.

My name is Chris I'm 39, and I live in Chicago: no family, no shorties - the world is better off.

Unfortunately my job is too banal to merit comparison with MWINYD.

Besides TL, I love reading HPL, Karl Edward Wagner, Michael Shea and too many others. Among you young'uns, I really like Mark Samuels , Matt Cardin, and Michael Cisco. Forgove me for forgetting to mention whoever I've forgotten to mention. I also like reading Euro-lit by Nabokov, Schulz, Kis ... usw.

I don't create music, but I take guitar classes. I'm obsessed Delta and Piedmont blues. Skip James is the TL of the blues.

I'll shut up now.

Cheers!
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009), yellowish haze (10-29-2016)
Old 04-13-2005   #47
unknown
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100
Send a message via AIM to unknown
welcome, Chris! Sounds like you'll definitely fit in (liking Michael Cisco is always a plus)

there is no stronger drug than reality

yog-sothoth
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #48
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Welcome to TLO, Chris. I hope you've enjoyed browsing through the message boards. There are so many posts accumulated by now that I'm sure they must seem a formidable mountain for someone just starting to delve into them. Sometimes when I return after having been away for an hour or a day, and I see that three, five, nine, or sixteen new posts have been made during my absence, I despair of ever being able to catch back up.
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #49
Sean
Mannikin
Points: 6,906, Level: 57 Points: 6,906, Level: 57 Points: 6,906, Level: 57
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Hi chaps,
I've been hanging round this website for a while now, and felt it might be nice to say hello. I'm 26 and, for my sins, i'm in my last year of a philosophy degree in rural Wales. Upon graduating i'll then be training as a religious education skool-teacher (although, i'm actually an agnostic, cum atheist).
Growing up, I used to obsessively collect classic short horror fiction, using Lovecraft's 'Supernatural Horror in Literature' as a guide, and, at that tender age, my taste was forever tainted. I'm now beginning to revisit those classic authors- Algernon Blackwood, Poe, M.R. James, and seek out authors i hadn't previously been exposed to- Ligotti among them.
Other authors I greatly admire are Schopenhauer, Borges, T.S. Eliot, Thomas Mann and Dostoyevsky. All authors with their own unique pessimistic or nihilistic bent, which, although I try to help it, echo my own preoccupations.
It seems that, along with quite a few other people on this site, I like listening to industrial music and noise- Coil, TG, Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten. Dirty Three, Bad Seeds and Suicide are other favorites.
Anyhow, it's great to have this opportunity to read the interesting posts (as well as raid the archive for excellent music and fiction) on this site about dark literature, art, music, philosophy which is so much greater than the pulp dross littering most bookshops. I look forward to chatting with you all. Cheers.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009)
Old 04-13-2005   #50
yellowish haze
Grimscribe

Hello Chris and Sean.
Becoming a member of TLO was the right choice. I bet you'll have fun over here. TLO is a real "opulent palace of morbidity" as Quentin S. Chrisp put it. To tell the truth I am quite a new member myself...

and already a compulsive one!!!