THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Druidic
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 71,664, Level: 100 Points: 71,664, Level: 100 Points: 71,664, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Topic Winner Neglected Works

View Top 3 Awards  
I've decided to list 10 books I consider criminally under-read. This is also an experiment, if you'll indulge me. I'd appreciate it if any member who has read 3 or more of these titles would post and identify the titles. These are not obscure works; they all can be found with relative ease (the Ross title is found complete in Campbell's "Uncanny Banquets"). That decision for books easily available was deliberate on my part.

The Red Right Hand -- Joel Townsley Rogers (Hell of a ride. Meet "Doc"..or is it "Corkscrew"? Nothing like a homicidal dwarf with sharp teeth on your trail.)

To Walk the Night -- William Sloane (Lovecraftian but no pastiche. A magnificent work of SF and supernatural dread.)

The Edge of Running Water -- Sloane (Same as above. Filmed with Karloff as "The Devil Commands.")

Messiah -- Gore Vidal (If you're an antinatalist, this is for you. Or maybe not. Vidal at his best.)

The Hopkins Manuscript -- R. C. Sherriff (Beautifully written tale of quiet apocalypse).

The Hole of the Pit -- Adrian Ross (If you're a Hodgson fan, you'll love this. This guy was an opera composer, believe it or not.)

The Werewolf of Paris -- Guy Endore (Yes, I know many are familiar with this title but I'm always amazed at how few have actually read it.
It's brilliant.)

Suspicion -- Friedrich Durrenmatt (One of the finest dark novels I've ever read.)

S. Fowler Wright -- The World Below (For Shea fantasy fans).

The Shadowy Thing -- H. B. Drake (One of my favorite horror novels, bar none).

These titles are reasonably diverse, from SF to pulp thrillers to serious literary works to psychological and supernatural horror, but all of interest to weird lit lovers.

Last edited by Druidic; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:20 PM..
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
17 Thanks From:
bendk (4 Weeks Ago), crow (4 Weeks Ago), Dr. Locrian (4 Weeks Ago), Gnosticangel (4 Weeks Ago), gveranon (3 Weeks Ago), Kevin (4 Weeks Ago), lepidoppleganger (4 Weeks Ago), Michael (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Nirvana In Karma (4 Weeks Ago), njhorror (4 Weeks Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (4 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (4 Weeks Ago), Ucasuni (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (4 Weeks Ago), xylokopos (1 Week Ago), Zaharoff (4 Weeks Ago)
Award winner, Engaging Topic Of The Month July, 2017  
Nominated This Post Won The Nomination Contest  
Nominated   It can re-enter the nomination contest only after Thursday 26, July, 2018
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 23,204, Level: 100 Points: 23,204, Level: 100 Points: 23,204, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Neglected Works

The Werewolf of Paris -- Guy Endore (Yes, I know many are familiar with this title but I'm always amazed at how few have actually read it.)

GUILTY AS CHARGED!

I have a copy somewhere . . .

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Druidic
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 71,664, Level: 100 Points: 71,664, Level: 100 Points: 71,664, Level: 100

Thanks, NJ, your post is well appreciated.
I feel TLO readers are more familiar with Weird Literature in general than most, so I decided to bring these works to their attention.
They are wonderful and shouldn't be forgotten so easily.
I recently saw a copy of Red Right Hand for 2 dollars! Most of the titles I listed can be found in inexpensive pbs which is what I planned. Only one or two might be a bit expensive (probably the Campbell anthology, a great book.) You can find a cheap copy of the Durrenmatt book in pb under the title "The Quarry."
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 19,363, Level: 96 Points: 19,363, Level: 96 Points: 19,363, Level: 96
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

I own the Adrian Ross and William Sloane books but never read them yet (like most books I own).

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Siderealpress
Acolyte
Points: 6,554, Level: 56 Points: 6,554, Level: 56 Points: 6,554, Level: 56
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Hello,
I have read
Ross-Hole of the Pit (yes! excellent stuff- superior to much of Hodgson in my opinion)
Endore - Werewolf of Paris (the only werewolf novel I've ever read) and
Drake- The Shadowy Thing (Ah! We differ! I found it very slow going)
I am pretty sure I have some Sloane somewhere but what and where is another matter.
To my shame I've never heard of Durrenmatt, I guess I should be checking him out...
REGARDS!
J
Siderealpress is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Druidic (4 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), njhorror (4 Weeks Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Druidic
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Thanks, J !

Werewolf novels are exceedingly rare; good ones even rarer. I recall Gerald Biss' "Door of the Unreal", which while enjoyable, was just a reworking of Dracula as a werewolf novel. It may have been an influence on the Henry Hull "Werewolf of London," however.

At a shorter length, James Blish's "There Shall be No Darkness" is probably my favorite lycanthropic tale.

I've always found Endore's novel to be beyond compare. I read it first when I was eleven or twelve. It was an eye opener.

I love leisurely English pacing and I suspect that's where we differ. I loved the ending of "The Shadowy Thing" LOL.
Thanks From:
njhorror (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Druidic
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I should have mentioned R. C. Sherriff (The Hopkins Manuscript) wrote the screenplay for Universal's original "The Invisible Man."

And while on the subject of screenplays:

Guy Endore wrote "Mad Love", a classic for Peter Lorre... as well as "Mark of the Vampire." Hammer's "Curse of the Werewolf" was loosely based on "Werewolf of Paris."

He also wrote a good suspense novel, "Detour at Night."
4 Thanks From:
bendk (4 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), qcrisp (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 176,357, Level: 100 Points: 176,357, Level: 100 Points: 176,357, Level: 100
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I should have mentioned R. C. Sherriff (The Hopkins Manuscript) wrote the screenplay for Universal's original "The Invisible Man."

Guy Endore wrote "Mad Love", a classic for Peter Lorre... as well as "Mark of the Vampire." Hammer's "Curse of the Werewolf" was loosely based on "Werewolf of Paris."

Informative post, Druidic! I had no idea that Endore wrote the screenplay for "Mad Love." I adore that movie.

And anyone that can write this bit of monologue is brilliant. I will have to check out R. C. Sherriff "The Hopkins Manuscript". I read and greatly enjoyed Wells' novel, but I don't remember this monologue being in it.

bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (4 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), xylokopos (1 Week Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Druidic
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Ben, if you get a copy of Sherriff's book try to get one with the Joe Mugnaini illustrations. They are wonderful.
Thanks From:
bendk (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 62,129, Level: 100 Points: 62,129, Level: 100 Points: 62,129, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post

The Werewolf of Paris is an old favourite of mine. I still prefer werewolves to vampires.

Endore also wrote this, which I wouldn't mind reading some time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babouk

"As the Director of one of the five greatest museums in our Eastern States has more than once remarked to me, From the Stone Age until now, what a decline!" - Ananda Coomaraswamy
qcrisp is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (3 Weeks Ago)