THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Error Reports and Problems
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-25-2017   #11
Knygathin
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,123, Level: 76 Points: 12,123, Level: 76 Points: 12,123, Level: 76
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Firefox problem

I have Windows Vista on my computor. Over the last few months I have got screen messages all the time, saying that Chrome no longer receives technical anf safety updates for Windows Vista. It is no longer safe from hackers and trojans. Same will happen to Firefox later this autumn. The only browser that is said to continue receiving updates for Vista, is Opera. I am trying Opera 36 now, but it doesn't open webpages correctly.

Microsoft want people to discard their old software system, and buy new software, that is why they have stopped updating. I have no desire to discard Windows Vista, and buy new software for hundreds of dollars. May as well buy a new computor. Changing software will also make a mess of (and even erase) everything stored on the computor and the sorted order I have become used to... Aging people DO NOT WANT CHANGE! We want comfort, stability, and the things we are used to!
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Druidic (07-25-2017), miguel1984 (07-26-2017), ToALonelyPeace (07-25-2017), Zaharoff (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017   #12
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 129,252, Level: 100 Points: 129,252, Level: 100 Points: 129,252, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Knygathin View Post
I have Windows Vista on my computor. Over the last few months I have got screen messages all the time, saying that Chrome no longer receives technical and safety updates for Windows Vista. It is no longer safe from hackers and trojans. Same will happen to Firefox later this autumn. The only browser that is said to continue receiving updates for Vista, is Opera. I am trying Opera 36 now, but it doesn't open webpages correctly . . ..
I run three laptops. The one I operate constantly uses Vista OS.
Another does tasks 16 hours a day, running Linux Ubuntu OS.
Third is XP on a 16 year old computer.
Browser of choice for all three is PaleMoon, a fork off Firefox 29.
It supports many of the add-ons that FF has jettisoned.
I tend to tinker with browsers from time to time, and you might want to experiment with a portable version.
Load onto a flash drive and launch.
I also run several script blockers (NoScript, uBlock, Disconnect) and the browser never seizes or stalls.
I do notice more conflicts, however, as websites increasingly modify their templates and underpinnings for the mobile audience.
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (07-25-2017), miguel1984 (07-26-2017), ToALonelyPeace (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017   #13
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I'm on Window 7, so far it's okay. I don't want to switch to Window 10 interface since it looks like more trouble than its worth. I've a Dell desktop running Ubuntu but it had screen grainy. After several attempts at fixing, I've broken it. With Windows there are too many unnecessary programs, but with Ubuntu it's graphic problem.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (07-26-2017), Zaharoff (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017   #14
Knygathin
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by Zaharoff View Post
... I do notice more conflicts, ....
Suddenly everything is hanging by a thin thread. Using the Internet is becoming less user-friendly, functional, and easy. Hazardous makeshift sollutions are available temporarily only. My system is collapsing gradually, more and more technical details are locking themselves up, slowing down the computor, ... . Sooner or later people will be stranded with their computors, unless they put up a lot of cash, and are willing to start new all over.

There has been talk of censuring the Internet, because the ruling world elite feel threatened by the masses taking part of every available uncensored information; since it can lead to revolutionary upheavals.
This may be their way of doing this, by disabling the Internet for the masses. Sorting it down to the select few, who keep technically updated, and are willing to pay up for the exclusivity. The rest are only "useful" as mindless consumers.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (07-27-2017), Zaharoff (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017   #15
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 129,252, Level: 100 Points: 129,252, Level: 100 Points: 129,252, Level: 100

I think there has simply been a shift in how people access the Internet.
More use their phones or pads, which are less powerful.
Storage is limited on devices resulting in more of a "look at this" experience instead of broader interaction.
I can download and rework files with a normal laptop.
Phone? I don't know.
I notice friends and family multi-tasking, or what they define as multi-tasking. Text on the phone, surf on their pad, watch TV. That way they can accomplish so much!
Personally, I do not think elites want to control you as much as companies want to sell you goods. Even if you cannot afford it.
Many in society have become debt-slaves. The Internet is a marvelous bazaar that feeds on credit.
Browsers and websites are downright sinister in tracking and collating your online behaviour.
There are a number of changes you could do to diminish this that do not involve firing up your TOR every time. And yes, I use TOR occasionally but it is slow.
1) I seldom use Google. My default search engine is DuckDuckGo. They do not track your habits.
2) I use blockers. Disconnect and Adblock (or uBlock, Adblock Latitude) at the very least. I also use NoScript which can be a pain in the ass yet it stops most scripts from tracking you or loading themselves.
3) In browser options, Privacy is checked to "never remember history" and Security is checked to "warn me when sites try to install add-ons."
4) I have CCleaner and run it daily to remove tracking cookies.
This used to be common sense. Fewer worry about privacy or are even aware of how little they have.
Curious about how well your system is against tracking?
Go here - Panopticlick
"Panopticlick will analyze how well your browser and add-ons protect you against online tracking techniques."

Knygathin, because you are using Vista (as am I) you must take more precautions. Windows no longer provides updates or patches for Vista.
I have a decent security program (AVG). Once a week, I also run Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware (free versions, each).
Realize also that Chrome, while lightweight and efficient, is Google.
Google is in the business to collect and sell your data.
Most couldn't care less.
Remember, if the bear runs fast enough it will catch you. Don't make it easy for them, though. Let it devour the slowpokes and cloudgazers.
Good luck.
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (07-28-2017), miguel1984 (07-27-2017), ToALonelyPeace (11-10-2017)
Old 07-28-2017   #16
Knygathin
Chymist

Thank you Zaharoff.

The elites and the companies are the same. The real elite own the companies, own the banks, own the politicians. They simply want us to be conformed consumers, and debt-slaves, as many as possible.

I use Adblock, CCleaner, AVG, occasionally run Spybot. I will look at the others you mention.

But I think I will be forced to get a new Windows for my computor, hopefully one that will last "long". Or else buy a new cheap updated laptop, to use only for those security-crypted errands that no longer can be performed on my old computor. But having two computors is not ideal, only time-consuming and confusing.

Last edited by Knygathin; 07-28-2017 at 03:59 AM..
Old 07-28-2017   #17
Knygathin
Chymist

I now saw that Windows 7 is actually not so expensive as I had feared.

The transition may be smooth if I first save all files and documents from my computor on a USB-stick, and afterwards put them back in. All extra programs (like CCleaner, AVG, Spybot, etc.) I assume will have to be re-installed again.
Old 07-28-2017   #18
Zaharoff
Grimscribe

Knygathin, I don't think you will have any trouble switching over.
I did a Win 7 upgrade from Vista and all folders, files, programs and settings transferred successfully.
After my hard drive failed a couple years later, I replaced the drive and had to reinstall everything, and opted for Vista.
To be safe, back up your files to exterior HD. I also note down what programs I use and save the list on the exterior and in the cloud. I also save installers of obsolete programs I still use.
Win 7 is basically Vista - Under the Hood, Windows 7 Is Vista's Twin | PCWorld
Windows support for Win 7 runs until 14 Jan 2020, unless they extend - How long will Microsoft support Windows 7? | PCWorld
Finally, Win 7, 8 and 10 all contain spy --- err - telemetry.
If that disturbs you, an Internet search with "disable Win 7 telemetry" may prove beneficial.
Good luck.
Old 07-28-2017   #19
Knygathin
Chymist

Zaharoff, it may perhaps be good to empty the computor completely when doing the switch, because I believe there is a lot of garbage collected in it over the years, that slows it down (despite having used CCleaner and other tools).
Old 07-28-2017   #20
Zaharoff
Grimscribe

Plenty of benefits with a clean install.
Removing stray detritus is definitely one.