THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Error Reports and Problems
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-13-2017   #21
Knygathin
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,117, Level: 76 Points: 12,117, Level: 76 Points: 12,117, Level: 76
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Firefox problem

Well, my computor problems got worse and worse, until the Internet wouldn't even start up. So I finally took a deep breath, and started a clean install. It was hard work, taking a few days. My eyes looked crosswise by the end. First cleaning up piece by piece, and saving and backing up important files. Then I pressed down F10 at the start-up of the computor, which on my computor begins a complete re-installation of the initial 2007 factory settings. Cast ten years back! Internet Explorer in that old state did not work very well on the 2017's Internet; it could only open very simple webpages. I then tried to download Explorer 9, but the computor would not allow me to; I first had to install old online updates for Vista, for the lost years in-between, which was difficult to sort out: Had to figure out also how to disable all other programs in the computor, so nothing could interfere with and stop the installations. (I've almost become a computor whiz by now, after all this hassle, almost! he he ..) Finally I got Explorer 9! (great version!) into the system, and I also installed all the support and protection devises you listed, Zaharoff, in your post 15#, those that I did not already have. And I don't use Google or Chrome any longer! And don't keep vital private information in the computor, so I am not so afraid of infections anymore.

My computor and Internet is now running better, and more smoothly, than ever before! Remains to be seen how long it will last this time. It seems one can do a lot by oneself to keep things running, even if the manufacturers want you to buy all new.
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (09-14-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-14-2017), Zaharoff (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017   #22
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 129,158, Level: 100 Points: 129,158, Level: 100 Points: 129,158, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Congratulations, Knygathin.
After the first reinstall, later ones do come easier.
I do not know if you moved up to 7 or stuck with Vista.
Windows provided a patch for "Wannacry" ransomware earlier this year, including obsolete OS.
Protect Against WannaCry: Microsoft Issues Patch for Unsupported Windows (XP, Vista, 8,...)
Myself, I have remained with Vista, so I run weekly malware checks from a couple of names.
Never any guarantees, but please try not to click on email attachments.
And no matter what the Prince of Nigeria promises, do not believe him.
I backup files on external hard drive - and - keep the drive unplugged from the USB most of the time.
Unlike some of my likewise concerned (paranoid) friends, I use cloud storage, primarily to sync storage between different computers.
I also use encryption software.
TLO strikes me as filled with worried souls, so I hope other members actively configure their systems to guard against indifferent forces seeking to bleed.
Good luck, and I hope your resurrected setup works well!
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Kevin (09-14-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017   #23
Knygathin
Chymist

Thanks Zaharoff.

No, I didn't get involved in the procedure of how to upgrade to Win 7; it felt easier to just cleanly re-install the Vista I already had. And with the updates I managed to squeeze in, Vista seems to be working fine now.
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (09-14-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-14-2017), Zaharoff (09-14-2017)
Old 11-10-2017   #24
Knygathin
Chymist

The restart of Windows Vista on my computor has been working fine, and occasional running of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware have seemed very helpful.

However, the Internet operating systems are continually updating, and if I want to sell things online for instance, then some websites don't accept Vista anymore.

I am not too eager on re-installing my computor all over again.

But anyhow, how does it work with Windows 7, can it be downloaded for free from the Internet and installed directly (like browsers), or must it be done through a full purchased package disc? How much does it really cost?

Thanks, ... !
Old 11-10-2017   #25
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I think there is no upgrade from Vista to Window 7, so you've to purchase a disc and do a clean installation. OEM Microsoft Window for 64 bit OS is selling on Walmart for $132 and $149 on Newegg. I haven't checked ebay but I'd worry about legitimacy.

There is a way to pirate it and then activate with Daz loader. The best bet to search for the .iso is https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr....23687/page-11 and reddit /r/ Piracy.

There is also the option to buy one with Window 7 already installed. Dell Optiplex 790 Desktop Computer PC Intel i5 Quad 3.1GHz 8GB 1TB Win7 WiFi SFF | eBay

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017   #26
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 129,158, Level: 100 Points: 129,158, Level: 100 Points: 129,158, Level: 100
Win 7

When I bought my unit it came with Vista and an upgrade to Win 7.
The ISO disc arrived (along with the key <-- important).
Installing Win 7 over Vista went smoothly.
Later, when I crashed my HD I opted to use Vista.

Some points:
I got my ISO disc from Dell, from Microsoft.
As ToALonelyPlace observes, get legitimate software.
Before install, backup everything! Any file or folder you value.
Note what programs you use. Make a list and store in the cloud or send an email to yourself or scribble on your yellow pad.
Windows ends support for Win 7 in Jan 2020.
No telling if they will extend. Folks hated Win 8, and shrug at Win 10.

Finally, TLO is really not the joint to help you with this.
Go to the Win 7 support forum -
Windows 7 Help Forums
They might even tell you where to find an install disc -
Where to purchase Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium retail or upgrade? - Windows 7 Help Forums

Good luck.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-11-2017), ToALonelyPeace (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017   #27
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

@Zaharoff: Up till now, I thought there was a "gap" between Vista and Window 7 making it not possible to upgrade, but I guess there really isn't .

One other option is to use a Linux OS . Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc...are all free, you just need a USB stick.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Zaharoff (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017   #28
Zaharoff
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post
One other option is to use a Linux OS . Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc...are all free, you just need a USB stick.
The last laptop I bought came with Win 10.
I installed Ubuntu as dual boot and that is what I use on that.
Two warnings.
One: A lot of software one is accustomed to on Windows may not work on Linux. And that whole command line thing an be a learning curve.
Two: The new lap was UEFI and not BIOS. It would not boot from flash until I modified the startup to use Legacy boot.
That said, I have Slacko Puppy (small Linux OS) on flash and that has been an amazing lifesaver at times. Getting files off a "dead" computer, accessing the internet, etc ...
Thanks From:
ToALonelyPeace (11-12-2017)
Old 11-14-2017   #29
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

I use the ff. free programs with Win 8.1:

Waterfox (based on Firefox, but with privacy issues sold and bloat removed) and the ff. add-ons: uBlock Origin, Better Privacy, Cookie Controller, and CanvasBlocker (advanced users can include NoScript); for additional features, I included NoSquint (can make text bigger and grey out white backgrounds), Classic Theme Restorer, and others;

BitDefender Free (one of the high-rated antivirus programs that's lightest for me and with ad notifications disabled);

MalwareBytes and Zemana Free (offline scanners for a second opinion);

eSet Online scanner (free);

Comodo Firewall Free (comes with additional intrusion prevention and puts suspicious programs in a sandbox where they cannot modify the system);

Trend Micro Ransom Buster (a recent program that protects selected directories like My Documents from ransomware);

Keepass (to generate and store passwords for various sites);

Zoolz and MEGASync (to backup selected data to the cloud);

Wise Cleaner Free (to clean the system periodically);

I don't use the following because I got other paid programs, but I use some of them for some Win 7 PCs at home:

Crash Plan desktop app (to automatically back up user files to an external HD; equivalent to the file history option in Win 8.1);

Macrium Reflect Free (to make a system backup every few months or so to the same external HD; similar to the system backup feature in Windows);

Libre Office (free office suite).

Once I decide to switch to Linux, I will try Mint (which is one of the most popular) and Zorin (which can be made to resemble Wind0ws). For older machines, I read that there are lots of lightweight Linux systems available.
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ToALonelyPeace (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017   #30
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Firefox Quantum is now available for download from Mozilla. Faster and a new look. 3 thumbs up!

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote