THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Mark Samuels
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-28-2005   #21
nomis
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Mark Samuels and the Sodality of Shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_samuels";p=&quot View Post
The only person I can think of who once erroneously called "The Face of Twilight" "The Mark of Twilight" was Nomis. But of course I may be way off the-ahem-mark here. .
If I've done so, it was purely accidental. Is the book misnamed in the Wikipedia article? I had nothing to do with that, unless the anonymous author read my mistake and took it for fact.

Regardless, I'm quite looking forward to "The Face of Twilight".

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #22
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100

The moral here is not to believe everything written on a third-party website!
This is true. I had the impression that there was something wrong with this information from Wiki, but I wanted to see everyone's reaction and besides I like to question things so much... :wink: (sorry for the unintended faux pas).

I have no doubt that Tom Ligotti exists.
If we take under consideration the fact that this statement comes from a writer who reads Lilith Blake then it still isn't convincing. 8)

Jokes aside, thank you for the explanation, Mr. Samuels. Now, how about The Sodality of Shadows :shock: ?

P. S. I'm half-way through "The White Hands and other Weird Tales" and so far I can only say "WOW"!

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #23
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

This is the best thread of its type since "TLO Conspiracy Theory." Interesting, disturbing, and fun!

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #24
mark_samuels
Quotes:
Nomis--No offence intended. Glad you're looking forward to "FoT". I've put you in the acknowledgements list of "thanks to and without whom.." that will be printed at the back of the book (not as "Nomis" but under your usual name).

Hi Des--More panto than Oulipo I think (you're in the back of the book too, by the way).

S-Wielh----Sodality of the Shadows? If I reveal too much THEY will all come for me . . . Thanks for the kind words about my stuff. Much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2005   #25
Karnos
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

The good thing about Wikipedia is that it can be edited by anyone... some clown keeps editing some of my entries, anyway... :?

Anyone up the challenge of editing the entry on Mark Samuels? Or shall we leave it like that so I can feel good knowing more people will be fooled by it?

Maybe we should make an entry on Lilith Blake too!

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #26
nomis
Grimscribe
Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100
Quote Originally Posted by mark_samuels";p=&quot View Post
Nomis--No offence intended. Glad you're looking forward to "FoT". I've put you in the acknowledgements list of "thanks to and without whom.." that will be printed at the back of the book (not as "Nomis" but under your usual name).
Oh, I didn't take offence, Mark.

And being in the acknowledgements give me a funny feeling in my swim-suit areas! Thanks!

Simon Strantzas

Old 12-29-2005   #27
nomis
Grimscribe

Incidentally, I've changed the Wikipedia article to say "The Face..." rather than "The Mark..."

I did not have to log in at all to do so, so anyone looking to correct the articles can do so freely and easily. Just go there and click on the "Edit" button, then Save your changes.

Simon Strantzas

Old 12-30-2005   #28
Not Available
Acolyte
Points: 7,602, Level: 61 Points: 7,602, Level: 61 Points: 7,602, Level: 61
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Occult practices don't have to be dark and evil; but those are the ones that are more fun to write about. I spent years studying the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, Crowley, etc., and found the whole thing, eventually, to be more a bunch of folks that want to spend a lot of time on enlightenment. The rituals of the Golden Dawn are so obscure and detailed that you wonder how they ever pulled it off.

And ultimately it seemed that the goal of moving up the ladder was to gain more and more hidden knowledge, which was eventually published by Crowley and quite a bit by Israel Regardie. Mostly this arcana consists of tarot, kabbalah, astrology, and a few other practices that are considered rather commonplace these days.

Does anyone join the Crowley groups anymore? I remember he had a spinoff group that took all the GDs secrets and started afresh with Crowley's (lengthy, egotistical, self-referential) interpretations of this information.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to ramble.
Not Available is offline   Reply With Quote