In A Dark Light
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 16,256, Level: 88 Points: 16,256, Level: 88 Points: 16,256, Level: 88
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Dracula Adaptations

Quote Originally Posted by In A Dark Light View Post
Strangely, I don't think I've ever actually seen or heard a single adaptation of Dracula. I've read the book, of course, but for one reason or another, I've just never experienced the story in any form other than that of Bram Stoker's original (as published) text.
Wait, of course I've seen an adaptation of Dracula. I own Herzog's Nosferatu on DVD, both in English and the original German language version.
What a mighty thing my memory is.
In A Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017   #12
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Still haven't read Dracula yet. I have to wonder how much credit it and its adaptations get for a certain type of imagery that is my favourite horror style.

One of my favourite Dracula things is the Castlevania series of games, but Dracula himself was never important to me in the game. It's the castle as a source of endless wonders.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017   #13
In A Dark Light
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Still haven't read Dracula yet. I have to wonder how much credit it and its adaptations get for a certain type of imagery that is my favourite horror style.

One of my favourite Dracula things is the Castlevania series of games, but Dracula himself was never important to me in the game. It's the castle as a source of endless wonders.
I've always enjoyed the Castlevania series more so for its story than its gameplay. For that reason, I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming Castlevania: Animated Series.
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-04-2017   #14
Joshu
Quotes:

Symphony of the Night had great atmosphere and music. The second half of transversing the upside-down castle was also enjoyable.

Aria of Sorrow did actually have somewhat of an interesting story relating to Dracula, or his new incarnation to be precise, if I remember correctly. I want to replay it. I do not remember it well.

Last edited by Joshu; 06-04-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-04-2017   #15
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

I've always enjoyed the Castlevania series more so for its story than its gameplay. For that reason, I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming Castlevania: Animated Series.
I Don't get that, I mean, aside from a few novel ideas I don't think the story was anything special, seemed like standard videogame padding. Surely the locations and creatures are what makes this type of game? Maybe you find the action too repetitive, because that's a big part of why I don't play games anymore.
I played 12 of them over a few years and I had a great time.

Symphony Of The Night's soundtrack seems to be head and shoulders above the rest. I own about 6 or 7 of the soundtracks and I think they got a bit too beat heavy.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Joshu (06-04-2017), miguel1984 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-04-2017   #16
In A Dark Light
Grimscribe

I Don't get that, I mean, aside from a few novel ideas I don't think the story was anything special, seemed like standard videogame padding. Surely the locations and creatures are what makes this type of game? Maybe you find the action too repetitive, because that's a big part of why I don't play games anymore.
I played 12 of them over a few years and I had a great time.

Symphony Of The Night's soundtrack seems to be head and shoulders above the rest. I own about 6 or 7 of the soundtracks and I think they got a bit too beat heavy.
The locations and the general style of the series are the best thing about Castlevania, but I was meaning more that I prefer the storyline to the gameplay on the whole. I would never pick up a Castlevania game for the gameplay, but have been tempted to look into titles whose story description piqued by interest.
3 Thanks From:
Joshu (06-04-2017), miguel1984 (06-05-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017   #17
New Devilry
Mystic
Points: 6,074, Level: 53 Points: 6,074, Level: 53 Points: 6,074, Level: 53
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

I haven't seen all that many adaptations, but the Coppola one is my favorite for the atmosphere and style, and while it isn't 100 percent faithful, the plot changes improved the narrative.

It captures the essence of the story very well, and it keeps all of the characters intact rather than combining them as many adaptations have.

The first chapter of the book, which describes Harker's journey to Castle Dracula and much of his stay there, is also recreated very well in the Coppola version. It's probably the creepiest part of the whole novel.
New Devilry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-05-2017)