Link Tools Search this Link Display Modes Translate
Valancourt Books
Valancourt Books
Published by Ligeia
12-07-2009
Web Address
http://www.valancourtbooks.com/
Valancourt Books

Valancourt Books is an independent small (micro) press founded in March 2005 and presently based in Kansas City, specializing in quality new editions of rare literature from the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries.

Gothic Classics, our flagship series, reprints rare Gothic fiction from the 1790s to the 1820s. Many of the titles in the series existed in fewer than five copies worldwide before our new editions; scholars and readers interested in reading these wonderful texts were forced to travel thousands of miles to a university rare book room or pay thousands of dollars to obtain a copy from an antiquarian bookseller. Within the Gothic Classics series is a set of the "horrid novels" read by Isabella Thorpe and Catherine Morland in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, five of which have already appeared, with the other two currently in the works. We have also begun to release some of the rarest Gothic novels in limited hardcover editions, including The Forest of Valancourt; or, The Haunt of the Banditti (1813) by Peter Middleton Darling, a novel so rare that it has survived only in a single copy, at the Bodleian Library at Oxford. Forthcoming volumes in the series will include works by Charles Robert Maturin, Charlotte Dacre, Francis Lathom, Ann Radcliffe, Eleanor Sleath, T. J. Horsley Curties, and many others.

Valancourt Classics seeks out unjustly forgotten literary classics and makes them newly available in annotated scholarly editions. Recent volumes to appear in this series include Ann Radcliffe's posthumous Gaston de Blondeville (1826), Baron de la Motte-Fouqué's masterpiece The Magic Ring (1825), Arthur Conan Doyle's Round the Red Lamp (1894), and Forrest Reid's The Garden God (1905).

We have a new series of popular literature of the 1890s, which spotlights lesser-known works by celebrated writers like Bram Stoker, Arthur Conan Doyle, and H. Rider Haggard and resurrects forgotten bestsellers by such authors as Marie Corelli, Hall Caine, and Bertram Mitford.

Recently we have also begun to republish neglected works from the 20th century. So far we have issued novels by Bram Stoker, Richard Marsh, and Forrest Reid, and many other books, including two by Frederick Rolfe (Baron Corvo) are in the works. We are also moving into contemporary fiction with an edition of Francis King's An Air That Kills (1948) and forthcoming reprints of Stephen Gilbert's The Burnaby Experiments (1952) and C.H.B. Kitchin's magnificent The Book of Life (1960).

Finally, although we do our best to seek out all the older books deserving republication, we sometimes miss one, and we always welcome suggestions as to new additions to our catalogue.

Copyright © Valancourt Books 2006-2009 email

Recently, Ryan got the first Valancourt Books tattoo!

Baron is the newest member of the Valancourt family. Rescued from a local animal shelter, Baron now protects the Valancourt office from banditti, demon dwarves, and grave-robbers. He is an Australian Cattle Dog mix, and since we have no cattle to herd, he ends up herding the cats.

11 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (12-08-2009), bendk (12-10-2012), Evans (12-07-2009), Freyasfire (04-22-2010), G. S. Carnivals (12-07-2009), Mr. D. (12-10-2012), Nemonymous (12-07-2009), Spotbowserfido2 (12-07-2009), The New Nonsense (12-08-2009), waffles (12-07-2009), yellowish haze (12-07-2009)
By Evans on 12-07-2009
Re: Valancourt Books

Interesting this should pop up here. A while ago I had to contact James Jenkins a few times regarding some manuscripts, he was very helpful and pleasant about it espcialy considering my appearing out of no where as it were.

I've got the the Valancourt edition of The Magic Ring on my to read pile for when a get a moment over Christmass.
By Ligeia on 12-07-2009
Re: Valancourt Books

I discovered these guys from some friends of mine who own a publishing house. The books they choose to publish in greek are gothic orientated and Valancourt is a treasure when it comes to gothic literature. How on earth do they find so rare manuscripts?
I'm impressed!
Comment