THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 04-19-2017   #791
cannibal cop's Avatar
cannibal cop
Mystic
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 117
Quotes: 0
Points: 1,845, Level: 26 Points: 1,845, Level: 26 Points: 1,845, Level: 26
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It was. Cannibal Cop summed it up nicely. King's smug, superior tone is emblematic of his peers and one of the chief reasons Trump won. He's merely perpetuating the problem while pretending to "explain" it.
Gotta love the bit at the end where he diagnoses his creations as sufferers of "narcissistic personality disorder."

Hey, bub, guess what? None of them are real people. That's right, you made them up, made them say all that stupid crap.

So who in fact is the real narcissist at work here?

Quote Originally Posted by luxfugio View Post
Guys like that, who have actually had to work gruelling jobs just to survive, do not need to be told what is where or who is doing what.
Gruelling, huh? What, was he down in the mines for twenty years? I doubt it. Meanwhile, he's a lot better off than a lot of guys of his generation who weren't lucky enough to avoid the draft by getting into college.

Quote
Why it should be so alarming in this age for one to state things so baldly is more alarming.
You find it alarming that people are allowed to disagree with things some guy said in a newspaper?

Who provideth for the raven his food?
cannibal cop is offline  
Old 04-19-2017   #792
Mr. Veech's Avatar
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 730
Quotes: 0
Points: 10,890, Level: 72 Points: 10,890, Level: 72 Points: 10,890, Level: 72
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Don't see why people get so bothered by political viewpoints in fiction. As long as it's not ham-handed I don't mind. What would fiction be like if you couldn't show nazis in a negative way?
The problem, at least in my lowly opinion, is that all too often artists try and appeal to an audience's political sensibilities at the expense of other things essential to whatever medium is at stake. In the case of literature, a strong as well as explicit political message can interfere with such things as atmosphere or themes of a more universal nature.

I don't want to be told how to vote under most circumstances; I want, as corny as it may sound, to be told something about the human condition on a solitary level. If I want to read about "politics," I'll revisit my copy of Marx's Das Kapital or Strauss' Natural Right and History. Of course, one can certainly argue that there's an inescapable political dimension to all art, but does that mean an artists ought to transform his or her art into a self-conscious exercise in politics? No, not at all.

For example, there are plenty of direct references to economic child abuse throughout Dicken's work, but these are things which accompany the text - they're in the service of the overall narratives he creates.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline  
Thanks From:
Raul Urraca (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017   #793
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,443
Quotes: 0
Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
Re: Trump

Agree with that but I think a lot of people, possibly even myself, get irritated by political elements that make them uncomfortable and then it only seems like it's out of place in the story or clumsy, because it made them/me uncomfortable.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline  
Thanks From:
Raul Urraca (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017   #794
Mr. Veech's Avatar
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 730
Quotes: 0
Points: 10,890, Level: 72 Points: 10,890, Level: 72 Points: 10,890, Level: 72
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Agree with that but I think a lot of people, possibly even myself, get irritated by political elements that make them uncomfortable and then it only seems like it's out of place in the story or clumsy, because it made them/me uncomfortable.
That seems very likely. One of the things I admire most about a text is its ability to in some way challenge the presuppositions we have regarding the world, to "put us on the spot," so to speak. While it's true that the author (not just the text alone) can give rise to this phenomenon through the medium of politics, I simply believe there are more worthy ways of doing so, ways which are far more difficult.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline  
2 Thanks From:
Raul Urraca (04-19-2017), Speaking Mute (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017   #795
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,443
Quotes: 0
Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
Re: Trump

I don't think it even has to be the writer using politics directly. People can be made uncomfortable by the presence of something that implies to them a political position, but might be nothing more than their own mental associations.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline  
Thanks From:
Raul Urraca (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017   #796
James's Avatar
James
Grimscribe
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,709
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,206, Level: 95 Points: 19,206, Level: 95 Points: 19,206, Level: 95
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Trump

My country are having an imminent election. I'm voting Labour, even though I don't particularly like them and believe they have a 0% chance of victory. I'm otherwise ignoring what is going on. This is the extent of my emotional involvement in mainstream party politics. Too defeated. It's hard to relate to how passionate American Trump fans are in comparison.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline  
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017   #797
Mr. Veech's Avatar
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 730
Quotes: 0
Points: 10,890, Level: 72 Points: 10,890, Level: 72 Points: 10,890, Level: 72
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
My country are having an imminent election. I'm voting Labour, even though I don't particularly like them and believe they have a 0% chance of victory. I'm otherwise ignoring what is going on. This is the extent of my emotional involvement in mainstream party politics. Too defeated. It's hard to relate to how passionate American Trump fans are in comparison.
I feel you. I think I've been too active on this thread recently. I usually try to refrain from discussing politics because feelings usually get hurt, even though that was never the intent.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline  
Old 04-20-2017   #798
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 434
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,195, Level: 76 Points: 12,195, Level: 76 Points: 12,195, Level: 76
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Agree with that but I think a lot of people, possibly even myself, get irritated by political elements that make them uncomfortable and then it only seems like it's out of place in the story or clumsy, because it made them/me uncomfortable.
That seems very likely. One of the things I admire most about a text is its ability to in some way challenge the presuppositions we have regarding the world, to "put us on the spot," so to speak. While it's true that the author (not just the text alone) can give rise to this phenomenon through the medium of politics, I simply believe there are more worthy ways of doing so, ways which are far more difficult.
Politics is finite enough and the media pervasive enough that anyone with basic cable or an internet connection pretty much knows all the major landmarks on the political terrain. The culture shock that authors like James Baldwin or Upton Sinclair were once able to induce has been, for or better or worse, supplanted by the likes of TLC. The remainder pretty much descends into tropes and talking points that become monotonous even for the sympathetic - like the secret gay/trans couple outed and martyred cycle.
Speaking Mute is offline  
Old 04-20-2017   #799
Hidden X
Mystic
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 186
Quotes: 0
Points: 2,960, Level: 35 Points: 2,960, Level: 35 Points: 2,960, Level: 35
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by njhorror View Post
King has injected politics into so many of his books that I stopped reading him years ago. He can't help it. He's a kneejerk liberal spouting the "isn't it obvious?!" politically correct position, and what's worse - it's nothing new, just the same old saw. Whether from the left or the right, I don't have much patience for politics when I read for entertainment.
And this is of course complete and utter BS. Something like The Stand is wholly built around Old Testament Abrahamic conception of God and morality, to a point where it might offend some of his readers.
Saying how King is only able to write from one position, in particular "liberal politically correct one", is far, far removed from truth.
Hidden X is offline  
Old 04-20-2017   #800
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 434
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,195, Level: 76 Points: 12,195, Level: 76 Points: 12,195, Level: 76
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden X View Post
Quote Originally Posted by njhorror View Post
King has injected politics into so many of his books that I stopped reading him years ago. He can't help it. He's a kneejerk liberal spouting the "isn't it obvious?!" politically correct position, and what's worse - it's nothing new, just the same old saw. Whether from the left or the right, I don't have much patience for politics when I read for entertainment.
And this is of course complete and utter BS. Something like The Stand is wholly built around Old Testament Abrahamic conception of God and morality, to a point where it might offend some of his readers.
Saying how King is only able to write from one position, in particular "liberal politically correct one", is far, far removed from truth.
Whereas I personally can't fathom how someone can be both Christian (or Muslim or Jewish) and socially liberal, it's not terribly uncommon. I also never got the sense that The Stand was supposed to be anything other than fiction. Moreover, for a mainstream trade paperback that came out in the late 70's, just having a non-stereotypical lesbian protagonist put the novel slightly ahead on the social curve.

King isn't exactly Cornel West, but he makes it clear in both his fiction and interviews that he's on the left.
Speaking Mute is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
trump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.



Style Based on SONGS OF A DEAD DREAMER as Published by Silver Scarab Press
Design and Artwork by Harry Morris
Emulated in Hell by Dr. Bantham
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Template-Modifications by TMS