THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Mark Samuels
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-21-2005   #1
Karnos
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
Mark Samuels and the Sodality of Shadows.

I've been told that Samuels belongs to a group of sorts called "The Sodality of Shadows" I found an interview with Samuel's girlfriend (a Mexican writer, and thus it is in Castilian/Spanish) and she says that "The Sodality of Shadows" was just a group for literary walks in honor to Arthur Machen. (The full interview is here
she says that in question number 14. I can translate it if some of you want)

But is that all? A quick Wikipedia search I did came up with it being a little more... obscure than just a literary group.

I guess the whole question can simply be resumed as: Has Mark Samuels been involved in occult practices?

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #2
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Mark Samuels and the Sodality of Shadows.

Thanks, Karnos.

I don't know why, but after having read that question number 14, I get the impression that Sodality of the Shadows is an organization that is kept secret just in order to contribute an homage to Arthur Machen and his weird stories, being secret simply for the fun of it and it is not an occult organization which exists to keep some kind of forbidden knowledge away from the public sphere (or for any other conspiracy theory reasons). It's just what in my opinion that part of the interview seems to be suggesting. However, I may be wrong...
excuse me I HOPE i AM WRONG!!!

Mark Samuels involved in some occult practices? - well, this alternative sounds much better.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily

Last edited by yellowish haze; 05-28-2012 at 04:51 AM..
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #3
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100

Studying the Aklo glyphs scribbled in old notebooks? Admiration of Pan or the Daoine Sidhe? I don't know. Alas :lol:.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #4
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I first met Mark in 1987. I find it hard to believe that he would be *directly* involved in occult matters. Writing about things, being inspired or interested by certain concepts - these are not the same as practising them.

Although I do sometimes find fiction springing into life like a revivified whelk within the squeezed palm of my hand.
des
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #5
Karnos
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Quote Originally Posted by DF Lewis";p=&quot View Post
Although I do sometimes find fiction springing into life like a revivified whelk within the squeezed palm of my hand.
des
Reminds me of the occasion when Machen commented that characters from "The Three Impostors" were coming to life

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #6
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100

When Mark Samuels, Simon Clark and I conducted London walks together during the Nineties, I recall us calling ourselves 'The Three Impostors'!
Old 12-23-2005   #7
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100

From Wikipedia:
It has long been rumoured that the shadowy atmosphere in Samuels’ works is the result of extensive experience in occult practices. He has known associates in a number of dubious societies and interestingly in this regard his novel The Face of Twilight is seemingly semi autobiographical. He is also supposed to have connections to a cult organisation known as The Sodality of the Shadows. Samuels is a leading proponent amongst those who question the actual existence of Thomas Ligotti.
Hmm, weird, uh?

Moreover, I didn't know he questions the existence of Thomas Ligotti. Gee, for the whole year I was trying to prove TL's existence - (seemingly)successfully -, and suddenly I stumble upon a respected writer of weird fiction, Mark Samuels (praised by TL himself), who against all that's been said tries to convince people that TL is not real. This is really messing up with one's mind.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Old 12-24-2005   #8
Nemonymous
Grimscribe

Sounds all very Nemonymal, Slawek!

Incidentally, I said earlier above:
"Writing about things, being inspired or interested by certain concepts - these are not the same as practising them."

Fiction is the real thing - all else is practising.
des
Old 12-24-2005   #9
yellowish haze
Grimscribe

I remember when some 5 years ago, I tried to prove that Necronomicon was real (it was just after I've discovered Lovecraft). When I located a PDF version of it on the internet, downloaded it, paged through, it was quite something - I can say now that the whole hoax was very successful. But it has always been a hoax - now how about TL :wink: .

Old 12-26-2005   #10
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by s_wielh";p=&quot View Post
I remember when some 5 years ago, I tried to prove that Necronomicon was real (it was just after I've discovered Lovecraft). When I located a PDF version of it on the internet, downloaded it, paged through, it was quite something - I can say now that the whole hoax was very successful. But it has always been a hoax - now how about TL :wink: .
I'm convinced that Thomas Ligotti is real. The body of works published under that name certainly is. There've been rumors for years that Ligotti is someone else. I've a hard time believing that a soft voice whispers nothing from nowhere and no one with no credit.

The Necronomicon is real, too. Only in its fictional context, though. What a great literary device. Thank you, Mr. Lovecraft!

On break from Miskatonic U,
Phil

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote