Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2016   #1
Doctor Dugald Eldritch
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Philip K. Dick: the Gnostic seer of science fiction

I think anyone versed in Gnosticism who read my notes would say, “You’re a Gnostic.” I am not happy about this, but it is so, based on 3-74. Simon Magus lives.
-- Philip K. Dick

In the past, I regarded Philip K. Dick as a simple science fiction author; but I am becoming increasingly fascinated by him, and see him as a Gnostic prophet disguised as a science fictionalist; he even once said that he was less a fiction writer than a prophet for the Gnostic female figure Sophia. Philip K. Dick seems a curious anomaly in science fiction. He seems less in the ranks of normal science fiction authors than with visionary lunatics such as Alejandro Jodorowsky, J.G. Ballard, Lovecraft, Ligotti, William Burroughs, Blake, and the American poet, James Merrill, whose 560-page epic The Changing Light at Sandover was inspired by transcribing angelic messages from an Ouija board a la John Dee. Philip K. Dick is the William Blake of science fiction. In later life he even had spiritual visions, which I not think many science fiction writers experience.
I have never read any Dick, and I was wondering which book would be the best place to begin with him; for he is one of those writers who could be accused of ''writing too much'', and it could also be said that he is one of those writers who essentially wrote the same story or book over and over. Any suggestions? Thoughts concerning Dick are also welcome. I understand he is one of those writers who was not, unfortunately, a great prose stylist, but whose incredible imagination overshadows any technical limitations he or she may possess.
Doctor Dugald Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-19-2016), Draugen (10-20-2016), miguel1984 (10-19-2016), Mr. Veech (10-19-2016), Pharpetron (10-19-2016), Spiral (10-19-2016), With Strength I Burn (10-19-2016)