Old 07-09-2015   #21
Q.H. Crumm
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: How do you write?

I have made three or four writing efforts now, most of which are quite short (the longest being about six sides of A4 (roughly 4500 words).

These stories have come mainly from just observing what is around me and taking cues from the things I see and feel. I then try to work something that I have seen or heard or read that interests me into some semblance of a story.

My first was a corporate horror style tale (I was very depressed with work at the time) which I was quite pleased with when I finished. Then I re-read it about a year later and found that it was not as good as I remembered, so I changed/ improved much of it.

I tend to have a rough idea of a theme, a beginning and an end, and then just try to join the whole lot together in some way. Often I don't even know how I am going to get there, and make much of it up as I go along.

The way I do it is quite disjointed and not very disciplined, but I don't think I could do the whole "2000 words per day" thing, I just don't have the willpower.

I tend to write when I feel like it, I may write three pages in one sitting, then nothing for a week.

I can understand TL's comments about the actual writing being not so pleasant sometimes, but the satisfaction of finishing a story/ knowing you can't improve on one any further, can be quite nice.

Last edited by Q.H. Crumm; 07-10-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Q.H. Crumm is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (07-09-2015), Michael (07-09-2015), miguel1984 (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015   #22
Michael
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 33,062, Level: 100 Points: 33,062, Level: 100 Points: 33,062, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: How do you write?

At this point I've made a deal with myself. Monday through Friday is my professional writing (nothing more boring than writing a strategic plan for your agency). Saturday and Sunday (and holidays) are my fiction writing days. I've been able to keep to this even though it makes me sad that I can't do the 2000 words per day I wish I could. But I rationalize it by saying at least I'm moving forward and not standing still. I just hope I don't crack and the weekends bleed into the week: "The minimum amount of client contact hours must be weighed against the needs of the Dark Lord Cthulhu and the Culling."

Last edited by Michael; 07-09-2015 at 09:45 PM..
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (07-10-2015)