THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Other Authors > D. F. Lewis
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
The Lifeboat
The Lifeboat
Published by Nemonymous
4 Weeks Ago
The Lifeboat

Last nightís speed-writing exercise at the Writerís Group as based on a randomly chosen title...

THE LIFEBOAT

Tell me, who called the lifeboat?
I visualised a surging sea with a shape that upped and downed within it. Not a whale or shark, but something that desperately tried to float rather than sink, sink, then sink again.
Tell me, who called the lifeboat? The question came back. I called the lifeboat, I said. I called it to rescue me from my sea of sleep, the waves of such a sea coming in and then going out, going out and then coming in. Not a dream but pure sleep, a sleep as black as the sea that I imagined the lifeboat was now threading like a submarine with the sailors clinging to its outside, instead of being asleep within. I tried hard to wake not from a dream but from a sleep that subsumed me with its surges of darkness, clogging my throat, blinding my eyes, an enormous earworm within my head.
Yes, I called the lifeboat. But who needed to hear my answer to the original question and were their own ears deaf to my deafening cries? Then I heard a loud thud, not a thud thud thud, but a single thud, clearing the earworm from my head. A thud indicating the sound that had awoken the lifeboatmen to my call. They had been stirred from their own dreamless sleep and now awoke to the distressed soul that had called them to man their lifeboat and send it slipping down its ramp into the sea of sleep - my sleep.
They ran through the streets towards the ramp where the craft awaited their manning. One fell and broke his knee. No point in continuing his story. He will not reach the lifeboat. Another skipped into his girl friendís house, thus trying to avoid the surging sea of someone elseís sleep. Two men, including the cox, eventually reached the lifeboat, but two was not quorum enough to launch the lifeboat. You see, three was the legal minimum. So, I awoke and ran through the streets to join them at the lifeboat.
6 Thanks From:
In A Dark Light (4 Weeks Ago), Lord Jim (4 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (4 Weeks Ago), Mr. Veech (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)