THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-21-2017   #151
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:
Re: Video Games

I didn't think Bloodborne was quite as perfect as others said it was (some significant elements struck me as underwhelming), but it's a solid game worth playing through a few times for the gothic elements. The only parts that gave me trouble were some of the optional boss fights. That castle boss took me probably around 40 tries.

I beat Resident Evil: Revelations today. A surprisingly alright game. Will check out the sequel tomorrow. I have heard mixed things, but I find videogame critics the least reliable of all.
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-22-2017), Mr. Veech (03-21-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-21-2017)
Old 03-30-2017   #152
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

The Revelations games were decent, but I'm going through the Resident Evil Origins collection now and this is the real stuff. Just beat REmake for the first time since I was a kid. Now this is a horror game. Up there with the first three Silent Hill games. I played as Jill because of the Barry goofiness, but I missed seeing Rebecca Chambers.

I got every trophy on Resident Evil 7. Still atmospheric. It would rank up there with the old classics if it had a stronger last third, but it's a solid title, and I'm interested to see where Capcom go from here.
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017   #153
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

The environments in Agony look really impressive but I'm not really into the character models or the nasty gore. Somehow first person viewpoint horror games don't appeal to me as much, there's a lot of them coming out now.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Mr. Veech (04-02-2017), Speaking Mute (06-04-2017)
Old 03-30-2017   #154
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
The Revelations games were decent, but I'm going through the Resident Evil Origins collection now and this is the real stuff. Just beat REmake for the first time since I was a kid. Now this is a horror game. Up there with the first three Silent Hill games. I played as Jill because of the Barry goofiness, but I missed seeing Rebecca Chambers.

I got every trophy on Resident Evil 7. Still atmospheric. It would rank up there with the old classics if it had a stronger last third, but it's a solid title, and I'm interested to see where Capcom go from here.
The prerendered environments in REmake are gorgeous. It's hard to believe how old that beautiful game is.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-30-2017), Speaking Mute (03-30-2017)
Old 04-02-2017   #155
nihilsum
Acolyte
Points: 2,164, Level: 29 Points: 2,164, Level: 29 Points: 2,164, Level: 29
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
I didn't think Bloodborne was quite as perfect as others said it was (some significant elements struck me as underwhelming), but it's a solid game worth playing through a few times for the gothic elements. The only parts that gave me trouble were some of the optional boss fights. That castle boss took me probably around 40 tries.
Bloodborne has some issues, yea, like a few technical issues with the framerate, the netcode is imperfect and PVP isn't that fun due to the adjustments to the combat mechanics. The chalice dungeons are neat for being randomized with hidden bosses (that can get incredibly hard) but getting to the end is very repetitive. People seem to have a lot of issues that the game is streamlined with much micromanaging stats removed to focus on the gameplay (I don't have a problem) and that it "doesn't have enough content". This last point is true in a way, but what content it does have is for the most part is high quality and almost entirely new whereas Dark Souls 2 and 3, much of their content for items and gear were built upon existing content.

For me what makes it such an incredible game is the improvements to the combat system - the new weapons, the level design, the enemies and bosses, the music, the art direction and the lore is all so very fantastic. I simply still am disbelief that they took Dark Souls - already my most favorite game of all time since its release, and made it play more like a fast-paced character action game (think DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc) while simultaneously placing it into an even more dark, horrific setting inspired by Gothic and Lovecraftian horror. It just blows my mind how something like this exists and incorporates the cosmic horror elements in a very tasteful way unlike every other game that wants you to buy it because its associated with Lovecraft.

On paper Bloodborne should be extremely niche but furthermore it was a huge success. What an amazing game.
nihilsum is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-02-2017), Mr. Veech (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017   #156
Shadenuat
Mystic
Points: 1,544, Level: 23 Points: 1,544, Level: 23 Points: 1,544, Level: 23
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
The environments in Agony look really impressive but I'm not really into the character models or the nasty gore. Somehow first person viewpoint horror games don't appeal to me as much, there's a lot of them coming out now.
Their entire "thing" became tiresome after watching a trailer or two, can't imagine myself ever playing their game.
That sort of environments and gore ought be used in moderation. When entire game consists of them, what should be disturbing and disquieting becomes tiresome and worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilsum View Post
unlike every other game that wants you to buy it because its associated with Lovecraft.
Old Call of Cthulhu game for the first Xbox was pretty good. Especially earlier portions of it, where character is completely helpless: just trying to preserve your life and sanity whilst sucking in the game's excellent atmosphere. It was mostly based on The Shadow over Innsmouth, in spite of its name, with certain entities from The Shadow Out of Time added in for good measure. And atmosphere was freaking excellent, they evoked Innsmouth as well as it was possible with the tech that was available to them.
Shadenuat is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-02-2017), Mr. Veech (04-02-2017), Speaking Mute (06-04-2017)
Old 04-02-2017   #157
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100

I dunno I found the environments in Agony to be very pretty, the colours are very nice and I don't think I'd get tired of them. But that's the only thing I liked.

Old 04-02-2017   #158
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

@ nihilsum

Coming from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2, I disliked the "streamlined" aspect of Bloodborne at first. I eventually grew to like its systems better than the previous games. I prefer the term "refined" now over "streamlined," at least in Bloodborne's case. The other games strike me as having a lot of filler content.

The best part of Bloodborne is its unparalleled art direction. No other game, in my opinion, has outdone it. Honestly, I feel that if someone is not impressed by the game, then they probably didn't like games to begin with.

@ Robert

"I dunno I found the environments in Agony to be very pretty, the colours are very nice and I don't think I'd get tired of them. But that's the only thing I liked."

I thought it looked pretty interesting myself. I don't mind making room for some gore. After all, I grew up on Clive Barker.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017   #159
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

The gore does look constant though, which is a bit too much for me.

Old 04-03-2017   #160
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

I loved Bloodborne! I just think it has some flaws.

Last edited by Sad Marsh Ghost; 07-08-2017 at 09:41 PM..
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-03-2017)