THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Mark Samuels
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #271
Arthur Staaz
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 6,049, Level: 53 Points: 6,049, Level: 53 Points: 6,049, Level: 53
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: A Pilgrim Stranger

I just finished A Pilgrim Stranger and found it to be an excellently-paced story and an enjoyable satire. It focuses on the disparity between a more traditional approach to life and the largely-unquestioned assumptions of modernity. I loved the way it pokes fun at what we have become and are becoming. The characters are fully formed, especially the fascinating character of Alfredo Salgado. The novel begins in 1981, with Salgado as a very intelligent and no-nonsense young teenager who has been raised by his aunt as a devout traditionalist Catholic. He refuses to accept the assumptions of the modern world around him. Years later, we see Salgado interacting under very strange circumstances with a world that has proceeded along the accelerating path of "progress". The novel highlights the contradictions inherent in many of the assumptions we hold dear.

The novel begins slowly (appropriately so) and gradually picks up pace. It ends on an unsentimentally touching note that demonstrates the power of grace. It certainly held my attention from beginning to end. At over 300 pages, it looked on the longish side at first, but it was presented in such an engaging way that I read through it very quickly. Samuels skill with plot and character are very much on display here. If you're anything like me, you may recognize yourself or others you know in his characters. I could not recommend the book more, whether one is Catholic or not, religious or not.

"On the background of my nights God with clever hands
Sketches an unending nightmare of many forms.
I'm afraid of sleep as one is of a great hole . . ." Charles Baudelaire

arthurstaaz.wordpress.com
Arthur Staaz is offline   Reply With Quote
8 Thanks From:
Druidic (3 Weeks Ago), Frater_Tsalal (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), mongoose (3 Weeks Ago), Nemonymous (3 Weeks Ago), njhorror (3 Weeks Ago), Spiral (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #272
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 61,851, Level: 100 Points: 61,851, Level: 100 Points: 61,851, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

It's an excellent book. Mark's artistry is still evolving.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), njhorror (1 Week Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #273
Mr. Veech
Chymist
Points: 6,491, Level: 55 Points: 6,491, Level: 55 Points: 6,491, Level: 55
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

It's still on my short list of books to read. I'll get around to it eventually.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #274
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 21,261, Level: 100 Points: 21,261, Level: 100 Points: 21,261, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Reading this now, and enjoying it very much. I can't wait to see where Mark goes with this.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote