THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-19-2007   #11
Mr Can
Mannikin
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 8,030, Level: 62 Points: 8,030, Level: 62 Points: 8,030, Level: 62
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: The Avignon Quincunx

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
I shiver at the thought of marionettes dangling without movement.
And so you should, mr gsc.
It is my sad but inevitable duty to finish my scratching through the massive QUINCUNX with this my last post here.
This last, seemingly appropriate, quote is a tribute both to the writer who gives his name to this site and who also created my own name if not me. And please tell mr des, I'll not be back, after all.
Compliments of the Season.

"My style may be described as one of jump-cutting as with cinema film. The basic illustration is of course the admission that reincarnation is a fact. The old stable outlines of the dear old linear novel have been sidestepped in favour of soft focus palimpsest which enables the actors to turn into each other, to melt into each other's inner lifespace if they wish. Everything and everyone closer and closer together, moving towards the one."
From 'Quinx' (the fifth novel of the Avignon Quintet) by Lawrence Durrell.

Mr Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (12-31-2010)
Old 12-20-2007   #12
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mr Can, it is with great regret and sorrow that I acknowledge your sudden departure from TLO. Your contributions have certainly stimulated this canine mind. I sensed in your substance a disenfranchised and disembodied entity not unlike my own - but I speculate and grow introspective. Since no future games of "fetch" are likely, I offer a few choice tidbits of advice I've picked up since I was naturalized as an American citizen: 1) Don't take any wooden nickels 2) Look both ways before crossing the street 3) Always wear clean underwear in case you don't look both ways before crossing the street 4) Trust the hair of the dog.

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #13
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
I shiver at the thought of marionettes dangling without movement.
I have just completed a mixed media study in watercolors, oils, and twine which I call Still Life with Strings. I am contemplating the composition of a musical accompaniment.

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #14
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Can View Post
It bore an arrow and an exclamation mark and indicated the pyramid of wax cones upon which he had imprinted the true story of his death, his suicide.
---from 'Sebastian' (the fourth of the 'Avignon Quintet') by Lawrence Durrell

A Tearsheet Doll become Irreligious Icon?
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #15
Mr Can
Mannikin
Threadstarter
Points: 8,030, Level: 62 Points: 8,030, Level: 62 Points: 8,030, Level: 62
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

As I don't have a blog, I hereby bequeath my choice of quotes from 'The Avignon Quincunx' to Nemonymous for benfiting the readers of his blog.
Happy New Year.
Mr Can
Mr Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #16
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100

"In the layer beneath the dollies (as in a box of chocolates) were stored all sorts of necrophiliac thoughts and tendencies which lead to an exaggerated dread of graves, corpses, etc. These fears are sublimated into love for statues, waxworks, effigies, all dead objects. The reason for the fascination is the appeal of defencelessness. The corpse cannot defend itself. 'Listen to that,' I cry to the sleeping gypsy. 'The corpse cannot defend itself, nor can the sleeper.'"
Lawrence Durrell - from Monsieur, the first book of 'The Avignon Quintet'.
Some great quotes on this thread.
2 Thanks From:
Derek (09-15-2013), Druidic (09-17-2013)
Old 08-10-2014   #17
Nemonymous
Grimscribe

"And this book which I have always had in deep soak, when will it be finished? When I stop breathing? But the idea behind the furtive activity has always been that ideal book - the titanic do-it-yourself kit, le roman appareil. After all, why not a book full of spare parts of other books, of characters left over from other lives, all circulating in each other's bloodstreams - yet all fresh, nothing second-hand, twice chewed, twice breathed. Such a book might ask you if life is worth breathing, if death is worth looming . . . Be ye members of one another. I hear a voice say, 'What disease did the poor fellow get?' 'Death!' 'Death? Why didn't he say so? Death is nothing if one takes it in time.'"
Lawrence Durrell - from Constance, the third book of 'The Avignon Quintet'.
Timely quote.
Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (08-10-2014)