THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Swans
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
View Poll Results: Which of Michael Gira's solo projects after Swans do you like/love/tolerate the most?
The Body Lovers / The Body Haters (mind-bending soundtracks to unmade films) 0 0%
The Angels of Light (avant-garde psychedelic folk-pop-rock) 0 0%
M. Gira and guests (see the Jarboe benefit show) 0 0%
M. Gira as solo artist (all of the above with just voice and guitar) 0 0%
Collaborations and other stuff (production, guest work, etc.) 0 0%
More than one of the above 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-26-2006   #1
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Favorite Post-Swans Gira Project

This poll is a distinct nod to such rabid fans as Mr. Pratt here. While Swans definitely brought out the best in Michael and Jarboe, the collective has dissolved, its various facets moving into many separate projects, such as Jarboe's genius solo work (I'll do that poll next) and of course, for this poll, M. Gira's. Pick and choose wisely: Many of these blur in spots.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mad Madison (03-01-2013)
Old 11-26-2006   #2
ventriloquist
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 7,454, Level: 60 Points: 7,454, Level: 60 Points: 7,454, Level: 60
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Re: Favorite Post-Swans Gira Project

Hmm, a browser glitch or something is keeping me from voting. But, I guess it's just as well, since I was gonna cop out (heh heh... get it?!) and vote for "more than one." As you pointed out, though, it's difficult to consider any of his projects as separate entities, since it all begs to be devoured (and regurgitated) as a "body of work."

I've probably given more air time to AoL than to any of the other projects (save Swans, of course) but I also love, love, love Drainland. Back when I was an idiot with a college radio show (as opposed to an idiot with a bunch of records,) I once played the whole album on the air, which must've alienated both of my listeners.
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #3
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by ventriloquist";p=&quot View Post
Hmm, a browser glitch or something is keeping me from voting. But, I guess it's just as well, since I was gonna cop out (heh heh... get it?!) and vote for "more than one." As you pointed out, though, it's difficult to consider any of his projects as separate entities, since it all begs to be devoured (and regurgitated) as a "body of work."

I've probably given more air time to AoL than to any of the other projects (save Swans, of course) but I also love, love, love Drainland. Back when I was an idiot with a college radio show (as opposed to an idiot with a bunch of records,) I once played the whole album on the air, which must've alienated both of my listeners.
I have no idea what's wrong with the poll. I think I'll ask Dr. Bantham to check it out.

"Unreal". Amazing song. Wonder why it didn't get lifted for Soundtracks for the Blind like "All Lined Up", to be honest. Then again, I still can't figure out why "Killing for Company" - or "Empathy", for that matter - wasn't on either of the last two tours...

Old 11-27-2006   #4
SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 23,365, Level: 100 Points: 23,365, Level: 100 Points: 23,365, Level: 100

Oh, how I want a radio show. A shame about those buttons up there... Yes, Drainland an amazing work, though Swans were still an entity then. Amazing too how Jarboe's Sacrificial Cake was just a s good and they were released together (or same year at least) as first solo LPs. (Let's not count early Jarboe tinkerings with Larry Seven.) Downright evil album, that one, esp. "Surgical Saviour." But we're ahead of TSO... Michael's "Fan Letter" is something I put on a lot of Swans samplers. I loooove what he does with his voice there...he may indeed have been recorded drunk on that track as in the first. Funny, I'm playing J's Disburden Disciple now.

No doubt: The Body Lovers/The Body Haters is Gira's best post-Swans. It's like Paul and George still having that Beatles energy to spend after the Beatles split up.

"Think of it [Mr. Veech] -- wood waking up."
SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #5
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe";p=&quot View Post
Michael's "Fan Letter" is something I put on a lot of Swans samplers. I loooove what he does with his voice there...he may indeed have been recorded drunk on that track as in the first.
That song is quite disturbing. It takes subject matter that has the potential for dark humour and takes the nastier of two roads to impressive effect. A solo version of that would be interesting...