THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Death in June
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-26-2014   #1
Laurent Barabba
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,688, Level: 46 Points: 4,688, Level: 46 Points: 4,688, Level: 46
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Favorite Death In June album.

Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite DI6 album?
Starting this thread, I'll answer therefore first: The Wörld Thät Sümmer.
Blood Victory is probably my favorite song of Death In June, mainly due to the presence of David Tibet.
Laurent Barabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #2
Lucian Taylor
Mystic
Points: 12,457, Level: 77 Points: 12,457, Level: 77 Points: 12,457, Level: 77
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Favorite Death In June album.

I've been a long term fan of DIJ since the early 90's. Only seen them twice though in the late 90's. I'd have to say the double live album Something is Coming would be my favourite mainly because it was the first album I brought. I also like the stripped back nature of the live recordings.
Lucian Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Laurent Barabba (01-30-2014)
Old 01-27-2014   #3
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

But, What Ends ... remains my favourite. The rest of them always seemed to have at least 1 or 2 really poor songs on it.

They lost their charm many years ago to me, but I rather liked Peaceful Snow, or at least 6 songs on it. Could've been a great EP, despite Snejdr's annyoing tendency to play far too many notes with his right hand instead of letting the silences speak instead, and in spite of the sound of the keyboard. What could have been ...

The project, however, definitely would need some fresh input and, basically, a naysayer. Most of the songwriting in latter years have been lazy and uninspired, as has the productions.

Have seen them live 4 four times, most of them disappointing. Last time, they sounded like something better fit for playing on a cruise. Pearce seems to be all about being a self parody live today, which I find strangely endearing and embarrassing at the same time. Like a drunk uncle you don't have it in your heart to not laugh both with and at.

"Arriba, Copenhagen"; asking for requests, then playing "All Pigs Must Die", though NO ONE would request that; "Hasta la vista, Piggie"; "Ride 'em Cowboy, Copenhagen", etc. All songs being played at twice or thrice the original speed.

Probably it's the consequence he's putting into becoming a self parody that I can't help but admire a little. But still, this was probably the last time I will go see them, unless something radical happens.

Edit: Then again, I've paid tickets for 4 concerts now out of old love from my early to late teenage years (13 or 14-19 was when I really liked Death in June, and after that my interest waned, though not enough to stop buying mediocre records), so that begets the question of who's entitled to laugh at who here ...
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 01-28-2014   #4
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Points: 12,806, Level: 78 Points: 12,806, Level: 78 Points: 12,806, Level: 78
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I think I'm alone in this regard, but my personal favorite is Take Care and Control. The musical atmosphere it evokes is a world in itself - and using Hitler's bunker as a lens for despair, paranoia, and disillusionment is one of the few instances where's Pierce's obsession with Nazism makes artistic sense to me.

Even though I'd agree that Pierce's creative peak was before the 00's, I think it unfair to call him lazy. He's always had a penchant for minimalism, and he's always reworked older songs; it's his turn towards stripped down folk music that's thrown so many off. I can understand why someone might not like him evolving into a lo-fi artist, but it's a difference of taste rather than shoddy work.

I've only seen him once - Tel Aviv - and it certainly did not disappoint me.
Speaking Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Laurent Barabba (01-29-2014)
Old 01-30-2014   #5
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 25,762, Level: 100 Points: 25,762, Level: 100 Points: 25,762, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter? will always resonate the most deeply within my psyche, followed by Rose Clouds of Holocaust. "The Golden Wedding of Sorrow" is one of my favourite songs EVER. I haven't been too impressed by Douglas P.'s last few offerings, but I'm happy he is still recording and still seems to have such a devout following.
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From: