THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Television
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-31-2017   #171
GirlyGirlMask
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 1,876, Level: 26 Points: 1,876, Level: 26 Points: 1,876, Level: 26
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: Twin Peaks - Series 3

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Really interesting stuff there. Kind of disappointed in the Sarah Palmer tidbit, but can't say many of us didn't kind of expect that was the case.
GirlyGirlMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017   #172
Robin Davies
Chymist
Points: 15,032, Level: 84 Points: 15,032, Level: 84 Points: 15,032, Level: 84
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGirlMask View Post
Really interesting stuff there. Kind of disappointed in the Sarah Palmer tidbit, but can't say many of us didn't kind of expect that was the case.
What Sarah Palmer tidbit? He doesn't actually confirm that she's the girl in episode 8, though it's a popular theory.
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017   #173
GirlyGirlMask
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
What Sarah Palmer tidbit? He doesn't actually confirm that she's the girl in episode 8, though it's a popular theory.
Sorry about that, I saw your post and didn't read it because I thought it was the same tweet I saw. In that, it is basically confirmed that the girl from Ep. 8's name was Sarah Novak Palmer. I just liked the story more when it was about a man doing terrible things to his family. That was much more terrifying to me than folks being possessed by spirits and I think Laura's death feels a lot less tragic now that her mother was carrying some evil parasite around her entire life. But I may be misinterpreting or misunderstanding things.

Having said all that, Twin Peaks is my favorite thing ever. And Twin Peaks: The Return was really f'ing great too!
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-01-2017), Robin Davies (11-01-2017)
Old 11-02-2017   #174
Evans
Grimscribe
Points: 23,056, Level: 100 Points: 23,056, Level: 100 Points: 23,056, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

[I just liked the story more when it was about a man doing terrible things to his family. That was much more terrifying to me than folks being possessed by spirits and I think Laura's death feels a lot less tragic now that her mother was carrying some evil parasite around her entire life. But I may be misinterpreting or misunderstanding things.
Surely the horror in the case of possession is that of being internally compelled to hurt those one cares about? That's why Laura's ending in Fire Walk With Me is to an extent bittersweet - she refused to let BOB take control and use her as a means of sowing suffering as he had Leland, even though it was ultimately at the cost of her life. Personally, I find the notion of hurting others and not being able to stop more disturbing than merely being hurt.

Was there any confirmation Sarah was actually possessed? I took it that those scenes were her latent psychic powers manifesting in a Carrie type way after decades of bitterness and tragedy.

Last edited by Evans; 11-02-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
GirlyGirlMask (11-02-2017), miguel1984 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-02-2017   #175
GirlyGirlMask
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
[I just liked the story more when it was about a man doing terrible things to his family. That was much more terrifying to me than folks being possessed by spirits and I think Laura's death feels a lot less tragic now that her mother was carrying some evil parasite around her entire life. But I may be misinterpreting or misunderstanding things.
Surely the horror in the case of possession is that of being internally compelled to hurt those one cares about? That's why Laura's ending in Fire Walk With Me is to an extent bittersweet - she refused to let BOB take control and use her as a means of sowing suffering as he had Leland even though it was ultimately at the cost of her life. Personally, I find the notion of hurting others and not being able to stop more disturbing than merely being hurt.

Was there any confirmation Sarah was actually possessed? I took it that those scenes were her latent psychic powers manifesting in a Carrie type way after decades of bitterness and tragedy.
Subjectivity - one of the beauties of the weird/horror tale. I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts here, I can't quite pin it down. But on my first viewing years ago, I was a bit disappointed when I began to see BOB as a parasite looking for a host, as I'd initially seen him as a psychic projection of Leland's evil nature. I don't find possession that frightening, as I don't believe it can happen. But I can see a mentally deranged person imagining an external tormentor driving their compulsions. That scares the #### out of me. I guess, from a certain point of view, they aren't really that different. It's just that one is a kind of invading spirit, while the other was conjured up from the inside, an outward explosion of his own painful experience.

As far as Sarah Palmer, you may be right. I'd initially felt the same way-- she was losing control of those psychic powers that had been hinted at since the original pilot. It was the episode where she takes off her face and reveals the rotted finger, the Experiment's blade, and that disembodied smile floating within her head that I started to believe she was possessed. And the confirmation that the 50s girl who was invaded by the frogmoth was a young Sarah Palmer at least presents her as a host to some evil entity. Unless...Ep. 8 is also some kind of dream or metaphorical representation of what happened in the Palmer household.

I feel like I'm getting a little out of my depth here, as I try not to over analyze Lynch's work. I used to do that, but it would lose its power once I felt I'd "figured it out". And I really don't want to do that with TPTR, as it stills holds the power of mystery for me.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-03-2017), waffles (11-02-2017)
Old 2 Days Ago   #176
GirlyGirlMask
Mystic

Well, the blu ray didn't disappoint. The behind the scenes extras are really sensational and the transfer is beautiful. It's almost like seeing the show for the first time, such better picture quality than the Showtime stream. Well worth the investment if you're a Lynch and/or Twin Peaks fan.
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), Trau (1 Day Ago), waffles (1 Day Ago)