THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Other News
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 6 Days Ago   #161
Geoffrey
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 5,897, Level: 52 Points: 5,897, Level: 52 Points: 5,897, Level: 52
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
Re: LAIRD BARRON

Barron's recent "Andy Kaufman Creeping through the Trees" (also in SWIFT TO CHASE) is one of the weirdest, creepiest and most hilarious stories I've read in a long time. Why certain TLO readers hate the taste of campy humor/satire in their Weird tea is unknown. Each to their own though!
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
bendk (6 Days Ago), waffles (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #162
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 2,683, Level: 33 Points: 2,683, Level: 33 Points: 2,683, Level: 33
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Connell, Isis, Hughes, among some other regular, are prone to writing humorous or satirical fiction. BTW, I think that good few folks who posted in this thread have admitted that they haven't actually read Barron's recent stories.
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
bendk (6 Days Ago), miguel1984 (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #163
Geoffrey
Mannikin

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden X View Post
Connell, Isis, Hughes, among some other regular, are prone to writing humorous or satirical fiction. BTW, I think that good few folks who posted in this thread have admitted that they haven't actually read Barron's recent stories.
Yeah, that's true. Also, there's some bad blood over "More Dark" and the semi-funny Barron/Samuels feud, which hardly anyone knows about outside of TLO.
Thanks From:
bendk (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #164
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 135,168, Level: 100 Points: 135,168, Level: 100 Points: 135,168, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
Yeah, that's true. Also, there's some bad blood over "More Dark" and the semi-funny Barron/Samuels feud, which hardly anyone knows about outside of TLO.
That feud was Horror’s Brexit.

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (6 Days Ago), miguel1984 (5 Days Ago), ToALonelyPeace (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #165
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist
Points: 12,946, Level: 78 Points: 12,946, Level: 78 Points: 12,946, Level: 78
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

Well, the complex evolutions and tangential spin-offs of that feud got some of us on here labeled as bigot enablers at best (or bigots at worst). Not so "LOL ha ha funny" then.

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Jeff Coleman (6 Days Ago), miguel1984 (5 Days Ago), ToALonelyPeace (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #166
Trau
Acolyte
Points: 2,934, Level: 35 Points: 2,934, Level: 35 Points: 2,934, Level: 35
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
I thought the story was petty and childish for its jabs at real people, but I actually did like the story otherwise.

As for the recent stories, I've read "X's for Eyes" and "the worms crawl in,". I didn't care for the "worms" story, but I don't remember not liking the writing style per say. It just wasn't my thing.

"X's for Eyes" on the other hand was such a departure from what I'd read before that it was jarring. And I don't just mean in style. I won't fault an artist for going in different directions and pursuing different interests. My problem with this novella was that I didn't think it was successful even as satire. It wasn't even clear that it was satire, if that's in fact what it was

Does that mean it's bad writing? Or is it just a matter of taste? It all depends on what Barron wants to accomplish with his new direction, and what it seems like is that he wants to write early '90s comic books a la Image or Dark Horse but without the artwork. If that's what he wants to do, he should do it. But it's a strange thing for someone who has had some very strong opinions about the craft of weird and horror fiction and hasn't always been gracious in his presentation of them.

As far as campy humor and satire go—"hate" is a strong word. It's hard to avoid pedantry here, but it just feels like adding campy humor and satire to weird fiction actually make it something other than weird fiction. And maybe that's just a taste thing again. But for me, weird fiction is all about the discomfort that comes with one's perceptions of reality being challenged and distorted. The unnerving quality, the feeling of dislodgment. Throw some goofy stuff in there, and that unsettling effect becomes diluted.

A few people can pull it off—David Lynch being one—but not most, I think.
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Arthur Staaz (6 Days Ago), bendk (6 Days Ago), miguel1984 (5 Days Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (6 Days Ago), Ucasuni (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #167
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 2,683, Level: 33 Points: 2,683, Level: 33 Points: 2,683, Level: 33

Here's what our host had to say about "Swift to Chase". ;)
Jon Padgett’s review of Swift to Chase
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
bendk (6 Days Ago), Dr. Locrian (6 Days Ago), Geoffrey (5 Days Ago), miguel1984 (5 Days Ago), waffles (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #168
James
Grimscribe
Points: 18,858, Level: 94 Points: 18,858, Level: 94 Points: 18,858, Level: 94
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I enjoy camp and think it goes hand in hand with the grotesque and that it can be found in Aickman, Ligotti, O'Connor, Saki, Hartley and other great writers of the form. Camp humour is fine. A lot of the: 'I'm too clever for this because I'm using constant puns!' authors are terrible because they're not funny, and critics mistake this for clever writing very often. See: the career of Steven Moffat.

Justin Isis gets away with it, but I can't think of anybody else I have read who does. Some pretty acclaimed figures round these parts just strike me as authors of bad joke books.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (6 Days Ago), Justin Isis (5 Days Ago), miguel1984 (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #169
Geoffrey
Mannikin

Here's what our host had to say about "Swift to Chase". ;)
Jon Padgett’s review of Swift to Chase
I agree that Swift to Chase is Barron's best so far. It's greater than the sum of its parts, or whatever that expression is. An underrated novel/collection Brundlefly.
Thanks From:
waffles (5 Days Ago)