THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-25-2005   #1
barrywood
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Thomas Ligotti's book: Grimscribe His Lives and Works

Got home last night and there was a plastic bag hanging from my apartment door. I looked inside and there was a hardcover Grimscribe book. I scratched my head and wondered how it got there.

I leafed through it -- is was an ex-library book from another city in very good condition. I scratched my head again.

Then my phoned rang and it was the woman who had placed it there and said her brother sent it to her as she knew I am a new fan of Thomas Ligotti and her brother decided to surprise me. He did.

I've just begun to read this book and I hope I posted this in the right section of TLO.

Barry

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #2
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Thomas Ligotti's book: Grimscribe His Lives and Works

How enviable a position you hold, to be first reading this book! This was the first book I read by Ligotti. He was unknown to me until I happened upon a Jove paperback edition of GRIMSCRIBE at a supermarket book rack, of all places. This strange introduction became even more remarkable once I learned that Matt Cardin had been introduced to Ligotti in the same manner. Having a copy of GRIMSCRIBE delivered to your doorknob is altogether more ominous, unfortunately the culprit came forth. He would have done mystery well to have left the origin undeclared.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #3
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Thomas Ligotti's book: Grimscribe His Lives and Works

That's a great story, Barry, and like Dr. Bantham, I envy you your first reading of GRIMSCRIBE. (I didn't know or didn't recall, Dr. B., that you, too, had discovered Ligotti in a similarly unlikely environment.)

From 2002 to 2004 I worked intermittently on an ultimately failed story in which, at one point, the protagonist received through the mail slot of his front door an unexpected and unexplained black book that turned out to be a collection of weird stories which, in addition to being written with almost impossible lushness and literary perfection, embodied certain secret dreams, nightmares, intuitions, and visions that he had nursed for years. The parallel to your situation gave me a momentary pause when I read your description.

I hope you enjoy the book. It's great that you have friends like the one who took the time to send it to you.
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote