THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-12-2009   #21
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 13,304, Level: 79 Points: 13,304, Level: 79 Points: 13,304, Level: 79
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
Re: Hanns Heinz Ewers

John Smith of Side Real Press has a new book out that includes:

Introduction
Carnival in Cadiz
Mamaloi
The Death of Baron Jesus Von Friedel
Gentlemen of the Bar
John Hamilton Llewellyns End
The Dead Jew
The Spider
My Burial
From the Diary of an Orange Tree
The Tophar Bride
The Typhoid Mary
Edgar Allen Poe

The link is:
http://www.siderealpress.co.uk/

In my corner I'm finishing up Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I of a planned five volume complete short story collection. It will be around 350 pages for each volume as well. I already have the entire set of stories in the original German in the books:

Das Grauen
Die Besessenen
Grotesken
Der gekreuzigte Tannhäuser und andere Grotesken
Nachtmahr
Von sieben Meeren
Die schönsten Hände der Welt

Many stories have been duplicated but these books contain the complete list. There will be five 350 page volumes at least. I am currently in negotiations.

Immediately after completing Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I I will be focused on finishing Alraune. This too is currently under negotiations right now since several people are interested.

It is safe to say that my new translation of Alraune will be finished by this time next year and that there are people already interested in publishing it. A new translation is needed because of the censorship and poor translation in Alraune. The sexuality and relationship story between Frank Braun and Alraune were almost entirely cut in the Endor's translation.

Lastly I am toying with the idea of doing a reprint of Sorcerer's Apprentice since no one else seems to be interested. The sad truth is that Kessinger's reprint makes for an even smaller readership. I know I got my copy from there! I have been asked if I want to do a translation of it as well but I'm not keen on the idea. It is already pretty good as it is.

I am in contact with Dr. Kugel and while things move slowly, they do move. I also appear to be the only one currently translating.

bright blessings,

-joe
anarchistbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (03-13-2009), Daisy (03-19-2009), G. S. Carnivals (03-13-2009), xylokopos (12-07-2015), yellowish haze (03-13-2009)
Old 03-19-2009   #22
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

Breaking news!
In cooperation with the Ewers estate Tyler Davis of the Agna Offensive, http://www.theajnaoffensive.com/ ,has a contract to publish Alraune with the intent to publish all three Frank Braun novels.

John Smith of Side Real Press, http://www.siderealpress.co.uk/ will be producing the informative intro like only he can do filling us in with research and info on Alraune. There will be a signed and numbered limited edition as well as the normal edition. Both will be using the Blaine illustrations.

I will be providing the first uncensored English language translation. The first five chapters will be made available on my website for free viewing. (chapters 1,2& 3 are already there)
http://anarchistworld.com/hannsheinz...ne/alraune.htm

The remainder of the entire novel will be made available as I translate it via a rss feed that will not allow gong back to see old posts. Once it is set up it will display six pages of text every three days before it automatically updates. This means that if you just can't wait, the entire book will be made available in this limited fashion.

I will have my translation done by November or December of this year. Lots happening in the world of Ewers. Pass the news around. This will be big! I will let you know more as I know more.

-joe
9 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (03-20-2009), bendk (04-12-2009), Cyril Tourneur (04-24-2009), Daisy (03-19-2009), Dr. Bantham (03-29-2009), G. S. Carnivals (03-20-2009), The New Nonsense (03-20-2009), xylokopos (12-07-2015), yellowish haze (03-20-2009)
Old 03-31-2009   #23
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

I've completed The Death of Baron Jesus Maria von Friedel and posted it on the Hanns Heinz Ewers blog. I will not be posting it on my website. I've posted enough on my website to get the word out, now I need to sell books!

I will have Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I ready around the end of April. I still need to translate some new stories so it will be worth buying.

New stories will include:

The Death of Baron Jesus Maria von Friedel
The Button Collection
The Blue Indian
Delphi
Bible Billi

and possibly a couple more short stories. It will also include most of the stories that are on my webpage but not all of them. I'm only including material originally published prior to 1923.

Here is the link to the Hanns Heinz Ewers blog.

http://hannsheinzewers.wordpress.com/
6 Thanks From:
bendk (04-12-2009), Cyril Tourneur (04-01-2009), Daisy (04-01-2009), G. S. Carnivals (04-01-2009), MorganScorpion (04-24-2009), xylokopos (12-07-2015)
Old 04-12-2009   #24
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

Happy Easter everyone! In reveiwing the stats I find that there are simply not very many readers of Hanns Heinz Ewers out there! There is a great need to get the word out about this brilliant writer. Because of this I am making all of my translated short stories public for now. Here are the links:

The Button Collection

http://anarchistworld.com/hannsheinz...ook/button.htm

Bible Billy
http://anarchistworld.com/hannsheinz...book/bible.htm

Delphi

http://anarchistworld.com/hannsheinz...ook/delphi.htm

http://anarchistworld.com/hannsheinz...book/baron.htm

I will be placing links to the Blue Indian and The Last Will of Stanislawa d'Asp as soon as they are ready. Then I will be focussing on Alraune. Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I will still be available for those that want these stories in book form. I will be posting that info near the end of April. Enjoy!

-joe

6 Thanks From:
bendk (04-12-2009), Cyril Tourneur (04-24-2009), Dr. Bantham (04-12-2009), G. S. Carnivals (04-12-2009), starrysothoth (04-26-2009), The New Nonsense (04-12-2009)
Old 04-24-2009   #25
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

Here is the link to The Blue Indians. This is a good horror story! My favorite so far!

Anarchist World - Hanns Heinz Ewers - The Blue Indians
3 Thanks From:
bendk (04-25-2009), Cyril Tourneur (04-24-2009), G. S. Carnivals (04-24-2009)
Old 04-25-2009   #26
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperbac...lume-i/5817913

Now Available as a Quality Paperback for $16.49 plus shipping

Includes these short stories and essays:

Hanns Heinz Ewers and the Nation of Culture

The Spider

The Crucified Minstral

Delphi

The Curve

My Burial

Anthropoovaropartus

The Button Collection

Bible Billy

The Blue Indians

My Mother the Witch

Intoxication and Art

Edgar Allan Poe

plus three sample chapters from the upcoming novel, Alraune

4 Thanks From:
bendk (04-25-2009), G. S. Carnivals (04-25-2009), The New Nonsense (04-25-2009), xylokopos (12-07-2015)
Old 04-26-2009   #27
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

I have recently got a copy of Nachtmar - Strange Tales. It's an immensely beautifully bound book. There are quite a few typos in the introduction. It's rather sad that these weren't caught before publication of an otherwise beautiful book.

Also, the introduction states first that Ewers became friends with Goebbels. Some pages later, Goebbels hates him, but no explanation has been given. The introduction should really have been read through one or two times.

I hope I'll get the time to actually read the stories soon.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
anarchistbanjo (04-26-2009), xylokopos (12-07-2015), yellowish haze (04-27-2009)
Old 04-30-2009   #28
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

Hanns Heinz Ewers Private Study Group

I translate Hanns Heinz Ewers out of love and interest. Most of the stories or novels I have never read before and I get to read them for the first time with everyone else. It is frustrating for me to spend hours translating Alraune when I could be translating something else that I have never read before.

Still, the most pressing need is a new uncensored edition of Alraune and I’m up for it. I’m trying very hard to introduce Ewers to new readers. By now everyone should realize my translations do stand apart from what you might have read before and that is my particular skill and passion. Hanns Heinz Ewers needs to reach a modern audience with modern translations. I seem to be the only one doing it. I wish that there were more hours in the day available to me for translation work. I truly love to translate more than any other hobby I’ve ever had.

Here’s the bottom line. I’d like to create a Hanns Heinz Ewers Private Study Group. This is how it would work: I would create several private blogs available only to the study group:

Horst Wessel
Rider in the German Night
Fundvogel
The Cabaret
The Girl Wonder of Berlin
Ghost Seer
India and I
Travels Through the Latin World
Short Stories of Hanns Heinz Ewers

I have all but these two, Rider in the German Night and Travels Through the Latin World. I have all the rest and am itching to discover what is inside them but don’t have the time. I will be ordering these last two books within the next few months. I would not be publishing these but offering them for private study and discussion.

Each week I would post about six pages of never before translated text into one of these blogs. It would be a grab bag with no rhyme or reason. I would email everyone which blog I posted in. But each blog will be continuous. Horst Wessel will start with the first six pages and each time I post in that blog it will carry on from where it left off. If I started a thirty page short story that story would be completed before I started another story in that blog but it might be weeks before I once more posted six pages to that blog.

This might seem crazy but after six months or a year there would be significant material in all of these blogs that no one else in the world has ever read in English before. Progress would be slow but it is a study group and hopefully conversations and friendships can develop.

Some people buy limited editions because they want to be the first ones to read the material or in some cases the only ones that can afford to read the material. This is a way for people to get advance knowledge of material that might be years away from publication. If you love Hanns Heinz Ewers this would be perfect. It would cost $5/mo, the price of a cup of coffee and a donut. There would be a membership subscription set up through paypal.

The first three entries will be to Horst Wessel, Ghost Seer and India and I. I hope to have these set up this coming week to get a jump start on things. If you are interested in joining this private study group please email me at anarchistbanjo@live.com and have private study group in the heading. I will need at least ten people interested before I will do it.

In the meantime I will be doing these scattered six pages anyway to take a little break from Alraune once in awhile. Let me know if you are interested and then I will set things up. Email me and let’s talk. Please realize that these studies will be slow going at only six pages per week but it is also material that will have never been in English before and that might be worth something to some of you. I know it is to me. I translate simply because I want to know how it reads. -joe
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009   #29
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Omigod, homework again. (Insert triple Eek here.)

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #30
anarchistbanjo
Acolyte

Well I finally finished chapter four of Alraune. Here is the link:

Anarchist World - Hanns Heinz Ewers - Alraune

I will need to do some editing later but it looks pretty good! If anyone still thinks that a new translation is not needed they should read this chapter and compare!

The tension between Frank Braun and his uncle is absolutely tangible! Chapter Four is where they finally find Alraune's mother and get her to go along with their plans. It makes me wince just to read it!

-enjoy! As always, I welcome your comments.

-joe
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (06-06-2009)