THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > H. P. Lovecraft
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-23-2015   #1
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Topic Nominated Lovecraft and Mythos anthologies? There's so many.

Perhaps too many? I haven't touched any of mine yet so I don't know how long I'd have an appetite for it.
I have a hard time imagining any other writer having so many tribute anthologies. They must sell because this is a crazy list.

Black Wings 1-5 (ed) ST Joshi
Madness Of Cthulhu 1-2 (ed) ST Joshi
A Mountain Walked (ed) ST Joshi
Shadows Over Innsmouth (ed) Stephen Jones
Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth (ed) Stephen Jones
Weirder Shadows Over Innsmouth (ed) Stephen Jones
Lovecraft Unbound (ed) Ellen Datlow
Lovecraft's Monsters (ed) Ellen Datlow
New Cthulhu 1-2 (ed) Paula Guran
Book Of Cthulhu 1-2 (ed) Ross E Lockhart
Cthulhu Fhtagn! (ed) Ross E Lockhart
Gods Of HP Lovecraft (ed) Aaron J French
She Walks In The Shadows (ed) Silvia Moreno-Garcia & Paula R. Stiles
Swords & Mythos (ed) Silvia Moreno-Garcia & Paula R. Stiles
Historical Lovecraft (ed) Silvia Moreno-Garcia & Paula R. Stiles
Innsmouth Magazine (ed) Silvia Moreno-Garcia & Paula R. Stiles (you can get these in omnibus form)
Future Lovecraft (ed) Silvia Moreno-Garcia & Anthony Boulanger
Dreams From The Witch House (ed) Lynne Jamneck
Cthulhu Lives! (ed) Salome Jones
Dark Rites Of Cthulhu (ed) Brian M Sammons
Steampunk Cthulhu (ed) Brian M Sammons & Glynn Owen Barrass
World War Cthulhu (ed) Brian M Sammons & Glynn Owen Barrass
Cthulhu Mythos Megapack (Wildside ebook)
Resonator: New Lovecraftian Tales From Beyond (ed) Scott R Jones
Lairs Of Hidden Gods 1-4 (ed) Ken Asamatsu
Whispers From The Abyss 1-2 (ed) Kat Rocha
Cthulhu's Reign (ed) Darrell Schweitzer
That Is Not Dead: Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos Through The Centuries (ed) Darrell Schweitzer
Madness On The Orient Express (ed) James Lowder
Worlds Of Cthulhu (ed) Robert M Price
Acolytes Of Cthulhu (ed) Robert M Price
The New Lovecraft Circle (ed) Robert M Price
Beyond The Mountains Of Madness (ed) Robert M Price
Conqueror Womb: Lusty Tales of Shub-Niggurath (ed) Justine Geoffrey & Scott R Jones
Cthulhu Cymraeg (ed) Mark Howard Jones
Starry Wisdom (ed) DM Mitchell
Songs Of Black Wurm Gism (ed) DM Mitchell
Cumbrian Cthulhu (ed) Andrew McGuigan
A Mythos Grimmly (ed) Jeremy Hochhalter
Letters To Lovecraft (ed) Jesse Bullington
Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos (ed) August Derleth
Apotheosis: Stories of Human Survival After The Rise of The Elder Gods (ed) Jason Andrew
Eldritch Horrors: Dark Tales (ed) Henrik S Harksen
Urban Cthulhu: Nightmare Cities (ed) Henrik S Harksen
Cthulhu 2000 (ed) Jim Turner
Eternal Lovecraft (ed) Jim Turner
Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos (ed) Jim Turner (not to be confused with Derleth version)
Children Of Cthulhu (ed) John Pelan & Benjamin Adams
New Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos (ed) Ramsey Campbell
H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos: A Weird Tales Retrospective (ed) Betancourt & Weinberg
Eldritch Blue: Love & Sex in the Cthulhu Mythos (ed) Kevin L. O'Brien
Pyrate Cthulhu 1-2

There's a magazine called Necronomicum.
I don't know if everything in Lovecraft eZine, Crypt Of Cthulhu and Lovecraft annual magazines are all Lovecraftian or if it's just like Asimov's magazine and Clarkesworld.

Apologies for any errors.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (11-23-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-23-2015), Kevin (04-26-2016), Liam Barden (01-27-2016), miguel1984 (11-24-2015), Nemonymous (11-23-2015), njhorror (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #2
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Re: Lovecraft and Mythos anthologies? There's so many.

Also just saw Space Eldritch, but I can't see an editor.

Anyone heard of the writer M. Amanuensis Sharkchild? Not in anthologies, but he or she has a Lovecraftian series of 3 collections called Dark Verse. Quite nicely designed and generally has good reviews.

2 Thanks From:
Kevin (04-26-2016), miguel1984 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #3
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

More...

Atomic-Age Cthulhu (ed) Brian M Sammons & Glynn Owen Barrass
Jazz Age Cthulhu (3 novellas)
Dead But Dreaming 1-2 (ed) Kevin Ross & Keith Herber
Cthulhu Passant (ed) Travis Heermann (chess themed!)
Cthulhu's Dark Cults (ed) David Conyers
Shadows Over Main Street (ed) Doug Murano & D Alexander Ward
The Cthulhu Cycle: Thirteen Tentacles Of Terror (ed) Robert M Price

Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #4
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

You have fail'd to list the majority of those anthologies that Bob edited for Chaosium, such as THE DUNWICH CYCLE and THE NYARLATHOTEP CYCLE, and also Chaosium's reprinting of all of Robert Bloch's Mythos tales in MYSTERIES OF THE WORM. I love those Cycle books because Bob reprinted very rare items, items that can be found only in fanzines, &c &c. I believe that Darrell is editing another Mythos anthology for PS Publishing, TALES OF THE MISKATONIC LIBRARY or some such title. And one of ye finest newer anthologies is the wonderful and excellent book that Lois Gresh edited for PS Publishing, INNSMOUTH NIGHTMARES. And of course we can step beyond the anthologies and list a number of excellent new collections, such as THE DULWICH HORROR & OTHERS by David Hambling (PS Publishing), THE WOMB OF TIME by Brian Stableford (Perilous Press) and COPPING SQUID AND OTHER MYTHOS TALES by Michael Shea (Perilous Press).

I have read so often that short stories are difficult to sell these days, that most publishers just want novels--but these numberless Mythos anthologies suggests that ye Mythos remains an extremely popular product, and I think that will remain true for as long as Lovecraft's own Works grow in world-wide popularity.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (11-23-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-24-2015), miguel1984 (11-24-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (11-23-2015), symbolique (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #5
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

Looking at my shelf, I actually own a lot fewer of them than I thought I did. I started my Mythos odyssey with the recommended Mask of Cthulhu and Trail of Cthulhu solo collections by Derleth, which I found to be comically goofy and crappy. I then checked out his Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos multi-author anthology, which I found to be far superior and featured such excellent stories as Cold Print by Ramsey Campbell, The Hounds of Tindalos by Frank Belknap Long and Notebook Found in a Deserted House by Robert Bloch. Much of that collection was pretty unremarkable in hindsight, but it actually was one of the galvanising forces in making me want to become a weird fiction writer, as it seemed like the sort of thing I could conceivably do (and more importantly, enjoy). A big influence in its way, particularly for introducing me to one of my heroes Ramsey Campbell, and the Campbell edited sequel New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos was my first introduction to TED Klein, which was also important.

I have only read the first volume of ST Joshi's Black Wings series, but I did find much to enjoy in it. I remember Wilum's tale was one of the highlights. I do enjoy some Mythos fiction (mostly the more modern and experimental stuff ), but I tend to dip in quite rarely and often prefer the stories simply as solid weird fiction tales with a tangential HPL connection, rather than me having any particular interest in the perceived continuity Lovecraft started.
4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (11-23-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-24-2015), miguel1984 (11-24-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #6
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

The other Robert M Price edited books not mentioned.

The Innsmouth Cycle
Tales Out Of Innsmouth
Tales Of The Lovecraft Mythos
Hastur Cycle
The Necronomicon: Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab
Azathoth Cycle
Shub-Niggurath Cycle
Yith Cycle
Tindalos Cycle
Tales Of Lovecraftian Horror magazine

Don't know if Tsathoggua Cycle counts? More of a CASmith thing but still Cthulhu Mythos? How about Book Of Eibon, The Ithaqua Cycle, The Antarktos Cycle?

A Lonely and Curious Country: Tales from the Lands of Lovecraft (ed) Matthew Carpenter

Magazines like E'ch Pi El: Chilling Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Lovecraft's Disciples, Inhabitants Of Innsmouth edited by Steve Lines & John B Ford.

4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (11-23-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-24-2015), miguel1984 (11-24-2015), symbolique (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #7
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I'm terrible at math but I estimate this is roughly 90 anthologies. I honestly never imagined there would be half that many.

Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #8
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Has Robert E Howard ever had a tribute anthology? There are so many Conan continuations and clones but I doubt many are especially good.

Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #9
Ucasuni
Mystic
Points: 9,686, Level: 68 Points: 9,686, Level: 68 Points: 9,686, Level: 68
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Has Robert E Howard ever had a tribute anthology? There are so many Conan continuations and clones but I doubt many are especially good.
Andrew Offut curated the anthology series "Swords Against Darkness" with the heading "Heroic Fantasy in the tradition of ROBERT E. HOWARD" [bold and caps!]. Unfortunately, I've never actually read it, but what few reviews exist on Amazon are uniformly positive. Another similarly veined anthology (which I also similarly have not read) is Swords Against the Millenium, edited by Mike Chinn.

Honestly, all of the above are on my list of books to read... it's just a very long list.

I'm hardly a connoisseur of the genre, and for a long time dismissed it as cut-rate teenage wish fulfillment. However, after reading KEW's Kane series (particularly his short stories), I quickly and dramatically reversed my previously uninformed opinion on S&S. Sadly, as I said, trying to make inroads on one's reading list feels increasingly like shoveling sand into the oncoming tide...
Ucasuni is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
hopfrog (11-24-2015), miguel1984 (11-24-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #10
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

I enjoy sword and sorcery, which I'm aware is an unfashionable opinion in literature circles these days (or at any time). Robert E. Howard wrote his fair share of shlock (forgivable because he was writing to live), but his more lyrical and solemn sword and sorcery tales, such as Kings of the Night, Queen of the Black Coast or The Frost-Giant's Daughter are inspiring to me. Wagner and Moorcock took the genre to some amazing artistic places, but they got there by building on what Howard started.

I consider any sword and sorcery anthology to be a Robert E. Howard tribute anthology. The man revolutionised fantasy literature and it frustrates me how little respect he gets. The guy could write. Much of his stuff was corny or poor (his Machen pastiches are awful), but the best of his Conan/Kane/Kull/Bran tales are timeless and rereadable. His western and comedy boxing stories are worth checking out, too. I think if he had lived longer, he would have broken out completely from formulaic pulp fiction and become an author of serious renown. A furious and magical fire died with that man.
6 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-24-2015), hopfrog (11-24-2015), miguel1984 (11-24-2015), qcrisp (11-30-2015), Robert Adam Gilmour (11-24-2015), Ucasuni (11-23-2015)