THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-12-2005   #1
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Progress Update

Thought I'd post an update since it's been awhile since I last said anything here.

The Lovecraft-Ligotti essay is almost finished. I thought it was done at one point, but then I realized I had several more things to say, and the addition of them naturally required significant retooling of the essay in various other places. The piece has burgeoned to a much greater length than I had ever expected, rather like many of my posts to this message board of late. I hope to have it done within a few days from now, after which I'll be asking Jonathan and Brian for feedback. And then it'll go live whenever the stars are right.

Thanks for everyone's patience.
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #2
unknown
Grimscribe
Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to unknown
Re: Progress Update

The piece has burgeoned to a much greater length than I had ever expected, rather like many of my posts to this message board of late.
hahahah

no worries, matt. I'm sure it'll be completely engrossing.

there is no stronger drug than reality

yog-sothoth
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #3
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100

Thanks for the words of support, Unknown.

Thought I'd post a final update on the Lovecraft-Ligotti paper. I finished writing and revising it a few days after that last post above. As I've indicated, the piece ran to a greater length than I had expected. I had expected it to be only a few thousand words, whereas the final version is fully as long as the seminar papers I wrote in completion of my M.A. (a little over 12,000 words). And that's just the part that explores the relationship between the two L's. The section where I present some background information for the uninitiated (or even the initiated) on HPL's life, work, and legacy adds an additional 3000 words. So I hope this isn't too formidable for people who were wanting just a quick reference and analysis of the earlier L's influence on the later one. And I also hope my thoughts and analysis support the extended length -- i.e., that the piece doesn't seem endless and tedious.

Brian has indicated to me that he will be making the paper available in a few days, after the majority of people here have become familiarized with the new site design and layout (which I will again take the opportunity to lavish praise upon; I couldn't be happier with what you've done, Brian). I will of course welcome any and all comments and reactions.
Old 03-28-2005   #4
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,560, Level: 100 Points: 95,560, Level: 100 Points: 95,560, Level: 100

Hey, Matt. I was wondering if could add Stefan Grabinski to our list of authors. As far as I know Ligotti mentioned him in an interview. Moreover, Grabinski is usually compared to Lovecraft and Poe and I'm sure that one can find a strong connection between him and Ligotti.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #5
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I don't see why Grabinski shouldn't be eligible. I've not read his work but I know he possesses quite the strong reputation, and I have gathered that his style is indeed in the Poe-Lovecraft tradition that Ligotti inhabits. Do you by chance recall which interview Ligotti mentioned him in?
Old 03-28-2005   #6
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,560, Level: 100 Points: 95,560, Level: 100 Points: 95,560, Level: 100

There is a mention of Grabinski in a transcript of chat from december 3, 1998. However, it's only somebody saying that Ligotti liked Stefan Grabinski. The same situation is with "THE GRIMSCRIBE IN CYBERSPACE
Interview with Thomas Ligotti by John B. Ford April 2000". Well, this is miserable information, however, I'll keep searching for more.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote