THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-02-2020   #1
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Philosophy of Redemption by Philipp Mainländer Incomplete Translation

“The book I would like to be buried with is a book I have never read, and likely never shall read. Its title is Die Philosophie der Erlösung (The Philosophy of Redemption) by Philipp Mainländer (born Philip Batz). The Philosophy of Redemption was published in German in 1876 and has not yet been translated into English. Perhaps it will be so translated before I die; perhaps not. I own a selection of Philipp Mainländer’s works in German that I would like to pay someone to translate, but translators are expensive. I’ve thought about taking on the task myself, but I know enough about the German language not to attempt to become so intimate with it that I could translate the words of a nineteenth-century German philosopher.
Thomas Ligotti's wish might come true soon.
---
According to wiki and a Reddit user visiting Australia, there is an official translation underway in University of Queensland since 2016.
Incidentally: The reference to an English translation on Wikipedia mentions a Dr Atzert. He is a lecturer in the German department at the University of Queensland, where I am a student. I could probably ask him how long he thinks it'll be until the English translation is published.

Update: So, I went to the language school at UQ today, but Dr Atzert wasn't in his office at the time. As luck would have it though I met one of his PhD students who's actually the guy translating Mainländer! I had a brief chat with him (he was a bit of a d--k, if I'm honest), and he said it's all taking him longer than he expected because he's now gotta do all sorts of work for his studies. He said he's got a near-final draft of Ch1, an edited draft of Ch2, and rough drafts of Ch's 3, 4, and 5, and is working on 6. I told him there were plenty of people keen to read a translation ("they'll just have to wait" was his initial response - see what I mean?!), but then he explained he needs to consider the terminology in relation to Kant and Schopenhauer (i.e. it's not just about internal but also external consistency). He reckoned he'd be sending something to potential publishers by the end of this year ("sooner, if people don't bother me"), so vol. 1 might be published sometime next year. So that's pretty good news I think, although I won't hurry back to ask him for updates.
Update in 2019: a seminar at UQ titled "The Will to Death: Philipp Mainländer’s Philosophy of Redemption and its pretensions to Schopenhauer’s legacy" by the mentioned translator himself.
---
For now, I found this incomplete translation of Philipp Mainländer here by YuYuHunter. It has 256 pages compared to the original 632 pages but it's still a good read.
Mainlander Philosophy of Redemption.pdf.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran

Last edited by ToALonelyPeace; 06-02-2020 at 07:08 PM..
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
BeelzeBob (06-02-2020), bendk (06-03-2020), miguel1984 (06-03-2020), Zaharoff (06-03-2020), ZM84 (06-03-2020)