THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 04-28-2011   #1
Sam
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Topic Winner "THE LIGHT IS THE DARKNESS" by Laird Barron

I haven't seen this mentioned on TLO, so forgive me if I am just dense, but this is important!

A new Laird Barron book is imminent, and wow, does it sound good... 200 pages, limited to 174 copies, and priced at $175. Scheduled to be released June 30, 2011, available for pre-order now from Horror Mall. Here is the description, stolen from the Horror Mall website:

Conrad Navarro is a champion of the Pageant, a gruesome modern day gladiatorial exhibition held in secret arenas across the globe. Indentured by a cabal of ultra-rich patrons, his world is one of blood and mayhem, an existence where savagery reigns supreme while mercy leads to annihilation.

Conrad’s sister has vanished while traveling in Mexico. Imogene, a decorated special agent for the FBI, was hot on the trail of a legendary scientist whose vile eugenics experiments landed him on an international most-wanted list. Imogene left behind a sequence of bizarre clues that indicate she uncovered evidence of a Byzantine occult conspiracy against civilization itself -- a threat so vast and terrible, its ultimate fruition would herald an event more inimical to all terrestrial life than mere extinction.

Now, Conrad is on the hunt, searching for his missing sister while malign forces seek to manipulate and destroy him by turns. It is an odyssey that will send this man of war from the lush jungles of South America, to the debauched court of an Aegean Prince, to the blasted moonscape of the American desert as he becomes inexorably enmeshed within a web of primordial evil that stretches back unto prehistory. All the while struggling to maintain a vestige of humanity; for Conrad has gazed into an abyss where the light is the darkness, and he has begun the metamorphosis into something more than human…

This book will be an oversized 8.5 x 11, signed, leather bound, hardcover in custom traycase. The book will have a sewn in silk ribbon marker as well as a silk ribbon in the traycase to pull book out of the traycase. Book will have multiple interior illustrations by the renown artist David Ho. Each copy will be signed by Laird Barron and the illustrator David Ho. This edition is limited to only 174 copies.
Did you read those production details? Mercy... There is also a super-deluxe lettered edition, 26 copies with even more amazing production specs. At $1,250 it is too rich for my blood, but I would love to see a copy some day.

Our good friend hopfrog talks about the book in one of his VLOGs from last month:

I ordered the limited edition last night. Unemployment and debt be damned! I believe Mr. Barron is finishing up his debut novel ("The Croning"), and there is another short-story collection brewing too; I am extremely excited about all three projects. "THE LIGHT IS THE DARKNESS" shall make an excellent (if slightly late) birthday present for myself, from myself. Thanks self!

DimShores.com
Fiction from the horizons of the Weird Renaissance and beyond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (05-05-2011), G. S. Carnivals (04-28-2011), hopfrog (04-28-2011), Joe Pulver (04-29-2011), njhorror (04-28-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (04-28-2011), The New Nonsense (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011   #2
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100
Re: "THE LIGHT IS THE DARKNESS" by Laird Barron

Sadly, I'm too broke to consider buying even the cheapest paperbacks at the moment, but new stuff from Laird is still cause for celebration!

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Joe Pulver (04-29-2011)
Old 04-28-2011   #3
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100

Ordered!

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #4
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Unfortunately, I just can't order it. Rats! Hopefully there will be a paperback edition sometime.
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #5
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100

I, too, am looking forward to this book! And from what he has said of it, the third collection is going to be amazing, and diverse in tone. Our dinner with Laird was wonderful yet sad, because we knew he was leaving the Northwest and I doubt that I shall ever see him again. Yet he seems more determined than ever to work like a lunatic and produce vast amounts of fiction. We have much to look forward to.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Sam (04-28-2011)
Old 04-29-2011   #6
Joe Pulver
Grimscribe
Points: 24,029, Level: 100 Points: 24,029, Level: 100 Points: 24,029, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned on TLO, so forgive me if I am just dense, but this is important!

A new Laird Barron book is imminent, and wow, does it sound good... 200 pages, limited to 174 copies, and priced at $175. Scheduled to be released June 30, 2011, available for pre-order now from Horror Mall. Here is the description, stolen from the Horror Mall website:

Conrad Navarro is a champion of the Pageant, a gruesome modern day gladiatorial exhibition held in secret arenas across the globe. Indentured by a cabal of ultra-rich patrons, his world is one of blood and mayhem, an existence where savagery reigns supreme while mercy leads to annihilation.

Conrad’s sister has vanished while traveling in Mexico. Imogene, a decorated special agent for the FBI, was hot on the trail of a legendary scientist whose vile eugenics experiments landed him on an international most-wanted list. Imogene left behind a sequence of bizarre clues that indicate she uncovered evidence of a Byzantine occult conspiracy against civilization itself -- a threat so vast and terrible, its ultimate fruition would herald an event more inimical to all terrestrial life than mere extinction.

Now, Conrad is on the hunt, searching for his missing sister while malign forces seek to manipulate and destroy him by turns. It is an odyssey that will send this man of war from the lush jungles of South America, to the debauched court of an Aegean Prince, to the blasted moonscape of the American desert as he becomes inexorably enmeshed within a web of primordial evil that stretches back unto prehistory. All the while struggling to maintain a vestige of humanity; for Conrad has gazed into an abyss where the light is the darkness, and he has begun the metamorphosis into something more than human…

This book will be an oversized 8.5 x 11, signed, leather bound, hardcover in custom traycase. The book will have a sewn in silk ribbon marker as well as a silk ribbon in the traycase to pull book out of the traycase. Book will have multiple interior illustrations by the renown artist David Ho. Each copy will be signed by Laird Barron and the illustrator David Ho. This edition is limited to only 174 copies.
Did you read those production details? Mercy... There is also a super-deluxe lettered edition, 26 copies with even more amazing production specs. At $1,250 it is too rich for my blood, but I would love to see a copy some day.

Our good friend hopfrog talks about the book in one of his VLOGs from last month:

I ordered the limited edition last night. Unemployment and debt be damned! I believe Mr. Barron is finishing up his debut novel ("The Croning"), and there is another short-story collection brewing too; I am extremely excited about all three projects. "THE LIGHT IS THE DARKNESS" shall make an excellent (if slightly late) birthday present for myself, from myself. Thanks self!
Important is not even close! !!

"He who hides his madman, dies voiceless."
-- Henri Michaux
Joe Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
hopfrog (04-30-2011), Sam (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011   #7
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100

I caved in. Guess I'll be eating ramen for a month
2 Thanks From:
hopfrog (04-30-2011), Sam (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011   #8
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100

I have this on order and look forward to getting it. On a side-note, I just snagged a copy of Charnel Wine, the Memento Mori edition. I have been wanting to read that particular book for a while, so it's on my long short list. That short list seems to just get longer and longer...

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn
Ascrobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Sam (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011   #9
Sam
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100

TLO has been the ruin of my once beautifully sparse Amazon Wish List. I have added so many books to it because of this site and the fine people who populate it... Mr. Gavin was already on my list once, and now makes a second appearance. Thanks for the reminder, Ascrobius.

And waffles, I find that beans and toast are good for fortifying the Book Lover's Poverty Diet. HPL would approve, I think.

DimShores.com
Fiction from the horizons of the Weird Renaissance and beyond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
hopfrog (04-30-2011), Joe Pulver (04-30-2011), waffles (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011   #10
waffles
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
TLO has been the ruin of my once beautifully sparse Amazon Wish List. I have added so many books to it because of this site and the fine people who populate it... Mr. Gavin was already on my list once, and now makes a second appearance. Thanks for the reminder, Ascrobius.

And waffles, I find that beans and toast are good for fortifying the Book Lover's Poverty Diet. HPL would approve, I think.
I was going to take some advice from Johnny LaRue

Thanks From:
Sam (06-22-2011)