Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:
Re: Science says stop complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma View Post
Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
I can't get used to feathered dinosaurs.
I still prefer to think of them as majestic scaly reptilian monsters rather than overgrown turkeys.
Do not underestimate turkeys!
OK, they may be dangerous but they're still not as cool as old-school dinosaurs!
Please, the first Megalosaurus restoration looked pretty dopey.
Not that old-school!
I meant the work of Charles R. Knight and Zdenek Burian.
Knight and Burian dinosaurs still irk me, primarily because of the dinosaurs' postures. Especially the postures of the theropods. Later findings aside, they remind me too much of kangaroos for me to be impressed with them.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-29-2016), teguififthzeal (03-29-2016)
Old 03-30-2016   #82
Robin Davies
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 31,005, Level: 100 Points: 31,005, Level: 100 Points: 31,005, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma View Post
Knight and Burian dinosaurs still irk me, primarily because of the dinosaurs' postures. Especially the postures of the theropods. Later findings aside, they remind me too much of kangaroos for me to be impressed with them.
I suppose I like them partly because those were the images that captured my imagination when I was a child. Certainly the more balanced posture of the theropods in modern reconstructions makes more sense. But some of them look unconvincing to me. For example Robert Bakker's artwork tried so hard to overturn the old perception of dinosaurs as cold-blooded plodders that he ended up making them look like lightweight ballet dancers. And I'll take a sombre-coloured Stegosaurus over this any day:
https://luisvrey.files.wordpress.com...gosaurus11.jpg
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-30-2016)
Old 04-18-2016   #83
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

This article might be appropriate to a number of different threads, but I'll put it here in acknowledgment of a point made here previously:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...P=share_btn_tw

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Comrade Tulayev (04-18-2016), miguel1984 (04-18-2016), Nirvana In Karma (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016   #84
Comrade Tulayev
Mystic
Points: 9,881, Level: 68 Points: 9,881, Level: 68 Points: 9,881, Level: 68
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote Originally Posted by qcrisp View Post
This article might be appropriate to a number of different threads, but I'll put it here in acknowledgment of a point made here previously:

What a particularly strange approach taken by the British government. Is this for real? We are about 17 days out from April fools.

What would be the point of investing public funding into scientific research, yet then not want to actually have those researchers talk about the applications of their work and the consequences of what they found? I can some what understand if there are specific confidential/top secret research projects being funded that cannot be show cased to the public, but this appears to apply to ALL gov funded research.

Is there some sort of fear that certain gov policies will be demonstrated to be perfectly idiotic and need to change? I would consider that a good thing, not a bad thing that we need to be protected from.

Again... sorry to sound dense... but is this for reals?
Comrade Tulayev is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-18-2016), Nirvana In Karma (04-18-2016), qcrisp (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016   #85
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Tulayev View Post

What a particularly strange approach taken by the British government. Is this for real? We are about 17 days out from April fools.

What would be the point of investing public funding into scientific research, yet then not want to actually have those researchers talk about the applications of their work and the consequences of what they found? I can some what understand if there are specific confidential/top secret research projects being funded that cannot be show cased to the public, but this appears to apply to ALL gov funded research.

Is there some sort of fear that certain gov policies will be demonstrated to be perfectly idiotic and need to change? I would consider that a good thing, not a bad thing that we need to be protected from.

Apparently it is. I'd heard about it a little from the person previously mentioned who is in a similar line of work to you, and then saw this article. I can't remember the rationale behind the policy - apparently there is one. I'll try and get more information.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-18-2016), Nirvana In Karma (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016   #86
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Tulayev View Post

Apparently it is. I'd heard about it a little from the person previously mentioned who is in a similar line of work to you, and then saw this article. I can't remember the rationale behind the policy - apparently there is one. I'll try and get more information.
I hope this gets resolved. This is extremely worrying, coming from a region whose economic driving force happens to be emitting unprecedented levels of CO2 into the atmosphere, which opens up a slew of policies that ignore the findings of climatologists and the general promotion of anti-science, anti-intellectual rhetoric.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-18-2016), qcrisp (04-18-2016)
Old 04-20-2016   #87
teguififthzeal
Grimscribe
Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100

<<What a particularly strange approach taken by the British government. Is this for real? We are about 17 days out from April fools.>>

Deny the British empire's crimes? No, we ignore them | George Monbiot | Opinion | The Guardian

“The real reason why so few men believe in God is that they have ceased to believe that even a God can love them.”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
teguififthzeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016   #88
Acutely decayed
Grimscribe
Points: 17,029, Level: 90 Points: 17,029, Level: 90 Points: 17,029, Level: 90
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

my favourite George Moonbat

George Monbiot: The worst of times | Politics | The Guardian

It has Versaille, and the glorious Dickens quote "the leprosy of unreality disfigured every human creature in attendance." I have aspired to be leprously unreal ever since

looking forward to the time science slips these feeble reins - we have nothing on our side but - truth and beauty

"My imagination functions better if don't have to deal with people" - Patricia Highsmith

Last edited by Acutely decayed; 04-20-2016 at 08:17 AM..
Acutely decayed is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2016), waffles (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016   #89
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Acutely decayed View Post
looking forward to the time science slips these feeble reins - we have nothing on our side but - truth and beauty
Not sure what you're saying here. Is that about the article, the Dickens quote, this thread or all of it?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016   #90
Acutely decayed
Grimscribe
Points: 17,029, Level: 90 Points: 17,029, Level: 90 Points: 17,029, Level: 90
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Not sure what you're saying here. Is that about the article, the Dickens quote, this thread or all of it?
Not about the article or Dickens quote - more about science being true despite it's degree of communication (and politically applied rheostats on this) ...potentially devastatingly so (so yeah the thread I guess, or more immediately Quentin's post in it)

the Dicken's quote and article are enjoyable pageantry - but distractions are very very important

"My imagination functions better if don't have to deal with people" - Patricia Highsmith
Acutely decayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2016)