Rust Cohle
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: The Most Shocking Thing About HBO’s ‘True Detective’

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Locrian View Post
Wall Street Journal reporter Michael Calia has made the True Detective/Ligotti link!

The Most Shocking Thing About HBO’s ‘True Detective’

Bear in mind, this isn't a casual mention of Ligotti's work. This superb article explicitly links Nic Pizzolatto's protagonist, Rust Cohle, and--by extension--the thesis of the whole shebang to the philosophy delineated in Ligotti's THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE HUMAN RACE.

I urge all of you to read the article and make your comments/reactions to it there.

This is big. I'm hopeful that this article will lead at least some TRUE DETECTIVE watchers who have been deeply moved by Cohle's expressions of philosophical horror to the true source material.

Update: TLO member and ARKHAM DIGEST editor, Justin Steele, wrote the following:

So several people have pointed out that Nic Pizzolatto avoided mentioning Ligotti when I interviewed him for The Arkham Digest. He wanted to clear the waters, so we did a micro-interview (one question!) in order to focus strictly on Ligotti's influence and why he didn't say anything before.

The Arkham Digest: True Detective's Nic Pizzolatto on Ligotti
Thanks so much, Justin!
It has done it for me!

After reading the Nic Pizzolato inspired by Thomas Ligotti articles I immediately bought Teatro Grottesco, I am only about a third of the way through it, but wow!

It is just such a shame that much of TL's other literature is now out of print or prohibitively expensive
Rust Cohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #42
nicolamasciandaro
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,844, Level: 41 Points: 3,844, Level: 41 Points: 3,844, Level: 41
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
Re: The Most Shocking Thing About HBO’s ‘True Detective’

Readers of Ligotti who watch TD may be interested in this new collection:

. Edited by Edia Connole, Paul J. Ennis & Nicola Masciandaro. London: Schism Press, 2014. ISBN-13: 978-0692277379. ISBN-10: 0692277374. 272pp.

A collection of philosophical and critical essays on the television series True Detective.

"Traditionally, the detective genre deals with the problem of epistemology – how to know something that one doesn't know. There are some things we cannot know, and some things we should not know. Sometimes clues just give way to more clues, and epistemic tedium rules the day. These essays reveal knowledge becoming an enigma to itself, revealing the brilliant futility of the epistemological project." – Eugene Thacker, author of In The Dust of This Planet

"The television event of the year - I would say many years - is without doubt True Detective. One deserving of forensic, unflinching, and unrelenting philosophical treatment." – Simon Critchley

"The most intelligent series in TV history has opened strange crypts for explorers. This excellent essay collection reveals just how far the dark tunnels lead. Let it coax you from the comforts of death and fear, into detection of the guttering nightmare that is life, coldly seen." – Nick Land

CONTENTS

I. Black Stars
Gary J. Shipley – Monster at the End: Pessimism’s Locked Rooms and Impossible Crimes
Edia Connole – Contemplating the Crucifixion: Cohle and Divine Gloom
Nicola Masciandaro – I Am Not Supposed To Be Here: Birth and Mystical Detection

II. Separate From Itself
Fintan Neylan – The Labour of the Pessimist: Detecting Expiration’s Artifice
Paul J. Ennis – The Atmospherics of Consciousness
Ben Woodard – Nothing Grows in the Right Direction: Scaling the Life of the Negative

III. There Was A Videotape
Niall McCann – True Detective, Jean-Luc Godard and Our Image Culture: ‘This May Well be Heaven, this Hell Smells the Same’
Daniel Fitzpatrick – ‘True Dick’ . . . The Accelerated Acceptance and Premature Canonisation of True Detective

IV. It’s Just One Story
Scott Wilson – The Nonsense of Detection: Truth Between Science and the Real
Erin K. Stapleton – The Corpse is the Territory: The Body of Dora Kelly Lange in True Detective
Caoimhe Doyle & Katherine Foyle – The Flat Devil Net: Mapping Quantum Narratives in True Detective
Daniel Colucciello Barber – Affect Has No Story

V. And Closure–No, No, No
Dominic Fox – koyntly bigyled
Charlie Blake, Daniel Colucciello Barber, Edia Connole, Paul J. Ennis, Gary J. Shipley – Bird Trap
Edge to Edge
Caoimhe Doyle & Katherine Foyle – The Chole Story
nicolamasciandaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
dr. locrian (09-13-2014)