THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-29-2008   #1
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 275,414, Level: 100 Points: 275,414, Level: 100 Points: 275,414, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
The Clown Puppet

THE CLOWN PUPPET - There is a “small lavatory” (Cf. lavatory-complex in THE TOWN MANAGER), “motions” of the clown puppet, “meat-store visions” and Mr Vizniak’s sudden need for the toilet – it is as if the diamond yo-yo is a symbol of a puppet’s metabolism (no need to rid itself of meat waste), whereby human frailty (as meat) is crystallised here (ie ring-fenced, ring-bounced), defeating death (as a work ethic routine itself is said here to be an antidote to ‘nonsense”), trying to make death itself nonsense, by sterilising death ... wishful thinking of the plot-leases, plot-teasers here rented (amid the ‘defective streetlamps’) from the top of narration’s pecking-order (Ligotti? God? The Narrator as depicted here by himself? The Clown Puppet, Mr Vizniak, the Nonsense itself?)?
I’d add ‘the Reader’ to that list. There is significant part where this Visit breaks routine of all past Visits – the Narrator is explicitly not the only one this time to whom the Visit is made. And who is new to being visited? Just ask yourself.
The Narrator is puppet-master of this story by knowing what is to happen (or so he says) but not knowing why (or so he says). This story is also gveranon’s allegorical ‘dreamy thinkiness or thinky dreaminess’ but one can enjoy this story as a wonderful disturbing horror tale on a superficial level as well as (if one wants to do so as ‘the Reader’) become part of it, actually (in reality) endangered by being in it.
This is no nonsense literature. The stuff of what literature should be.
“Strange opulence of an old oil painting.”
The face doesn’t work, but the limbs do, and the motions...
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (09-23-2010), Maria B. (12-03-2023), miguel1984 (11-23-2015), Spotbowserfido2 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010   #2
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 275,414, Level: 100 Points: 275,414, Level: 100 Points: 275,414, Level: 100
Re: The Clown Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
one can enjoy this story as a wonderful disturbing horror tale on a superficial level as well as (if one wants to do so as ‘the Reader’) become part of it, actually (in reality) endangered by being in it.
And so it was. Because those who read it never returned. (Except me?)
2 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (09-23-2010), miguel1984 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015   #3
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

This is an extract from my current on-going review of the TEATRO GROTTESCO collection:-

THE CLOWN PUPPET

"; in other words, I then would become obsessed with death nonsense, which is one of the worst and most outrageous forms of all nonsense."

As in re-reading each of the Ligotti stories themselves, I have been expecting (constructively dreading?) this 'visit' or visitation, maybe because I have read this classic gothic-baroque story before and knew it was coming, the visit of the chilling and unforgettable (I have now proved that it is unforgettable!) clown puppet, who arrives this time when the narrator is working for a migrant called Mr Vizniak in a medicine shop. His version of the Medicine Shop Visitation following all his.previous recurrent Workplace Visitations, as this is my version of the Clown Puppet's root or literary source Clown Puppet Visitation, the story itself as my visitor.
And I am again imbued by its swaddling, hypnotic, obsessive 'nonsenses', those cries of curmudgeonly affront as well as cries of despair under the expletive 'Nonsense!', each nonsense its own special form of visitation. No longer, for me, a new nonsense but now become an old and seasoned nonsense. And my recognition of the clown puppet's 'motions', explicitly its manipulated strings (but manipulated by whom or what?), but also now its Motions representing Ligotti's trademark Scatology of Eschatology, and Mr. Visniak's lavatory where I have spent more and more time the older I have become!
I sense that this chilling story is capable of making itself personal or bespoke to each and every reader. Each of us with our own version of nonsense.

(I shall now read my 2008 review of this story which is shown above on this thread.)
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (11-23-2015), Maria B. (12-03-2023), miguel1984 (11-23-2015)
Old 05-25-2016   #4
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
This is an extract from my current on-going review of the TEATRO GROTTESCO collection:-

THE CLOWN PUPPET

"; in other words, I then would become obsessed with death nonsense, which is one of the worst and most outrageous forms of all nonsense."

As in re-reading each of the Ligotti stories themselves, I have been expecting (constructively dreading?) this 'visit' or visitation, maybe because I have read this classic gothic-baroque story before and knew it was coming, the visit of the chilling and unforgettable (I have now proved that it is unforgettable!) clown puppet, who arrives this time when the narrator is working for a migrant called Mr Vizniak in a medicine shop. His version of the Medicine Shop Visitation following all his.previous recurrent Workplace Visitations, as this is my version of the Clown Puppet's root or literary source Clown Puppet Visitation, the story itself as my visitor.
And I am again imbued by its swaddling, hypnotic, obsessive 'nonsenses', those cries of curmudgeonly affront as well as cries of despair under the expletive 'Nonsense!', each nonsense its own special form of visitation. No longer, for me, a new nonsense but now become an old and seasoned nonsense. And my recognition of the clown puppet's 'motions', explicitly its manipulated strings (but manipulated by whom or what?), but also now its Motions representing Ligotti's trademark Scatology of Eschatology, and Mr. Visniak's lavatory where I have spent more and more time the older I have become!
I sense that this chilling story is capable of making itself personal or bespoke to each and every reader. Each of us with our own version of nonsense.

(I shall now read my 2008 review of this story which is shown above on this thread.)
Rationale: Le NŒUD de Ligotti - THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
2 Thanks From:
Kevin (05-25-2016), miguel1984 (05-25-2016)