Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-29-2017   #51
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:
Re: Idpol

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/trump...democrats.html
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-29-2017), Speaking Mute (05-29-2017)
Old 06-12-2017   #52
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

A good convention speech by Likhain/Mia Sereno
Continuum 13 Guest of Honor speech Likhain

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-13-2017   #53
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Another tedious auto da fé:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ka...NaLc8AeaqLCwCQ

Line up and confess before it's too late.

Or, on the other hand, we might take a little solace from Nietzsche in this case:

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Druidic (06-13-2017), gveranon (06-28-2017), Kevin (06-13-2017), miguel1984 (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017   #54
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

The same media who tried to get me to love Katy Perry are now telling me to hate her.

My indifference shuffles along.
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-13-2017), Nirvana In Karma (06-13-2017), qcrisp (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017   #55
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

>Tumblr left gets pissed at Katy Perry for cultural appropriation
>worships Disney
>meanwhile, greater problems
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-13-2017), qcrisp (06-13-2017)
Old 06-25-2017   #56
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

The essay "The Politics of Knowledge" by Edward W. Said in Reflections on Exile and Other Esssays brings up some relevant points:
"At bottom, what Fanon offers most compellingly is a critique of the separatism and mock autonomy achieved by a pure politics of identity that has lasted too long and been made to serve in situations where it has become simply inadequate. What invariably happens at the level of knowledge is that signs and symbols of freedom and status are taken for the reality: you want to be named and considered for the sake of being named and considered. In effect this really means that just to be an independent postcolonial Arab, or black, or Indonesian is not a program, nor a process, nor a vision. It is no more than a convenient starting point from which the real work, the hard work, might begin.

As for that work, it is nothing less than the reintegration of all those people and cultures, once confined and reduced to peripheral status, with the rest of the human race. After working through négritude in the early sections of Cahier d’un retour, Aimé Césaire states this vision of integration in his poem’s climactic moment: “no race possesses the monopoly of beauty, of intelligence, of force, and there is a place for all at the rendez-vous of victory.”

Without this concept of “place for all at the rendez-vous of victory,” one is condemned to an impoverishing politics of knowledge based only upon the assertion and reassertion of identity, an ultimately uninteresting alternation of presence and absence. If you are weak, your affirmation of identity for its own sake amounts to little more than saying that you want a kind of attention easily and superficially granted, like the attention given an individual in a crowded room at a roll call. Once having such recognition, the subject has only to sit there silently as the proceedings unfold as if in his or her absence. And, on the other hand, though the powerful get acknowledged by the sheer force of presence, this commits them to a logic of displacement, as soon as someone else emerges who is as, or more, powerful.

This has proved a disastrous process, whether for postcolonials, forced to exist in a marginal and dependent place totally outside the circuits of world power, or for powerful societies, whose triumphalism and imperious wilfullness have done so much to devastate and destabilize the world. What has been at issue between Iraq and the United States is precisely such a logic of exterminism and displacement, as unedifying as it is unproductive. It is risky, I know, to move from the realm of interpretation to the realm of world politics, but it seems to me true that the relationship between them is a real one, and the light that one realm can shed on the other is quite illuminating. In any case the politics of knowledge that is based principally on the affirmation of identity is very similar, is indeed directly related to, the unreconstructed nationalism that has guided so many postcolonial states today. It asserts a sort of separatism that wishes only to draw attention to itself; consequently it neglects the integration of that earned and achieved consciousness of self within “the rendez-vous of victory.” On the national and on the intellectual level the problems are very similar."
I typed and attached the rest of the essay here since I don't want to quote him out of context. The Politics of Knowledge.pdf

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
crow (06-27-2017), miguel1984 (06-26-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (06-25-2017), Zaharoff (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017   #57
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

3 Thanks From:
Justin Isis (06-28-2017), Kevin (06-27-2017), miguel1984 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017   #58
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma View Post
We regret to inform you that your fiction has been deemed problematic. We advise you to apologize sincerely and humbly and to promise to do better. Are you one of those authors who doesn't hire a "sensitivity reader" to guide you in your writing? Perhaps the wrongs you have committed could have been avoided. We are happy to provide sensitivity reader services for a price that you will surely find affordable on your ample income as an author. Now that you have wisely hired a sensitivity reader, we do insist that you believe what your reader tells you about your writing, and that you rewrite accordingly. Otherwise we might have to "call you out" again, and next time we won't be so nice.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Justin Isis (06-28-2017), Kevin (06-28-2017), miguel1984 (06-27-2017), Nirvana In Karma (06-28-2017), qcrisp (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017   #59
Justin Isis
Grimscribe
Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma View Post
We regret to inform you that your fiction has been deemed problematic. We advise you to apologize sincerely and humbly and to promise to do better. Are you one of those authors who doesn't hire a "sensitivity reader" to guide you in your writing? Perhaps the wrongs you have committed could have been avoided. We are happy to provide sensitivity reader services for a price that you will surely find affordable on your ample income as an author. Now that you have wisely hired a sensitivity reader, we do insist that you believe what your reader tells you about your writing, and that you rewrite accordingly. Otherwise we might have to "call you out" again, and next time we won't be so nice.
Devil’s advocate perhaps, but I don’t think this kind of thing is necessarily bad, it just reflects a fundamentally fragmented society where consensus values are up in the air. In a sense this has always been the case, but I actually think it’s a good sign that, increasingly, no one can agree what’s even acceptable or "non-problematic" in art, much less ideal (although not necessarily good for society as a whole - could do without the recent campus battles and other public partisan violence). Let a thousand schools contend, and all that.

More seriously (and again, as has always been the case), nothing of any value is ever going to be accomplished by artists and writers walking on eggshells. Neither should we assume that artists now considered "problematic" for various reasons were somehow uncritically accepted in their own time, or that the most currently popular views of the writers of the past are in any way accurate. For example, while he's now accepted as a gay martyr and overall style icon, Oscar Wilde’s sincere views on life and art, if put in plain language and not perceived as “coming from Oscar Wilde” (or some other Canon™-accredited authority) would probably offend just as many people today as they did in his time, if not more. Try walking into a modern writing workshop and announcing that charity is a great social evil, that the natural world (you'd have to call it "the environment" now) is ugly, monotonous and irrelevant, that artificial things are in every way superior, and that the goal of art and writing is not to express any common reality ("be relatable") or carry moral import but simply to further the cause of stylistic beauty. I doubt it would go over well.
Justin Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
gveranon (06-28-2017), miguel1984 (06-28-2017), Nirvana In Karma (06-28-2017), qcrisp (06-28-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017   #60
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

I'm currently imagining Oscar Wilde being resurrected from the dead and crashing a classroom session in the Iowa Writers Workshop.

"This fiction is repulsive because it is written to be sold! L'art pour l'art, mother####er! My, the asbestos is charming!"

I'd be more concerned with an author's laziness with researching a demographic they don't know intimately rather than how they're represented. Most human culture is #### and needs to be confronted, regardless of how marginalized the source.

It should also be noted that a lot of these folks don't seem to get the nuance of subversion and historical context. For current American readers, I partially blame the educational system for teaching literature so superficially...
3 Thanks From:
gveranon (06-28-2017), Justin Isis (06-28-2017), miguel1984 (06-28-2017)