THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > H. P. Lovecraft
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-17-2005   #1
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The Cult of Alien Gods

Has anyone picked up the new book "The Cult of Alien Gods: H.P. Lovecraft and Extraterestrial Pop Culture" by Jason Colavito? It looks pretty interesting.

From the publisher:

"Nearly half of all Americans believe in the existence of extraterrestrials, and many are also convinced that aliens have visited earth at some point in history. Included among such popular beliefs is the notion that so-called ancient astronauts (visitors from outer space) were responsible for historical wonders like the pyramids. Shocking new evidence proves that the entire genre of ancient astronaut books is based upon fictional horror stories, whose author once wrote that he never wished to mislead anyone.
In this entertaining and informative book, Jason Colavito traces the origins of the belief in ancient extraterrestrial visitors to the work of horror writer H. P. Lovecraft (1890–1937). This amazing tale takes the reader through fifty years of pop culture and pseudoscience highlighting such influential figures and developments as Erich von Däniken (Chariots of the Gods), Graham Hancock (Fingerprints of the Gods), Zecharia Sitchin (Twelfth Planet), and the Raelian Revolution. The astounding and improbable connections among these various characters are revealed, along with the disturbing consequences of Lovecraft’s "little joke" for modern science and public knowledge.

Beyond documenting Lovecraft’s influence on ancient astronaut theories and Raelian cloning efforts, Colavito also argues that the appeal of such modern myths is a troubling sign in an age when science is having its greatest success. He suggests that at the dawn of the 21st century Western society is witnessing a deep-seated erosion of Enlightenment values that are the basis of the modern world."

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (08-30-2015)
Old 11-25-2005   #2
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 416,049, Level: 100 Points: 416,049, Level: 100 Points: 416,049, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: The Cult of Alien Gods

New Nonsense,
Thanks for posting this, I wasn't aware of this book before. It sounds, if not enlightening, then highly entertaining. Scholarship for the Tabloid Age. (I wonder how many Fortean Times articles will be referenced) I remember reading CHARIOTS OF THE GODS in elementary school when it first came out. I ordered it from some school reading program. It was always a great day when the books showed up and the teacher handed them out! I also remember watching an episode of IN SEARCH OF hosted by Leonard Nimoy about 'Ancient Astronauts' around the same time. It is interesting why some people are drawn to religion and others to pseudoscience. I think for some, myself included, the draw of the latter is the lack of moral dogma that is found in religious belief systems, with its messy discourse about good and evil, that is so at odds with actual experience. I don't remember Eric von Daniken ever positing the theory that a 'Loving Alien' created the world (and then cut us loose to tear each other apart). It is not difficult for me to envision how certain men throughout history could manipulate religious feeling into building bureaucratic organizations bent on power, or 'crowd control' as TL humorously put it. All you have to do is read Machiavelli's THE PRINCE and Nietzsche's ON THE GENEALOGY OF MORALS. Not that you have to read anything to recognize that reality and much of what organized religions put forth doesn't jibe. Of course, you can believe that a god, or gods, created everything, including aliens. For some reason reality does not seem to be enough for most people (or maybe it is too much, and the unknown and mysterious are some kind of release valve). As for the 'followers' of Lovecraft, it may be that they can more easily see the malevolence inherent in creation than its goodness. I wish I still had my copy of CHARIOTS OF THE GODS, I would look up if von Daniken referenced HPL. I'll have to check the library or wait for my copy of CULT OF ALIEN GODS to arrive. I just ordered a copy. I am pretty much in line with what Carl Sagan said in his book THE DEMON-HAUNTED WORLD. He pretty much debunks all of it. That's not to say that I wouldn't take Fox Mulder's job if I was offered it. It would be a lot of fun. One of my friends bought me an X-Files poster for my birthday many years ago; it showed a grainy b&w photo of a flying saucer with the caption: "I want to believe."

I think I would be more concerned about a divinity that created this smorgasbord of a world than I would about the reality of an advanced form of life visiting us from another planet. Aliens with superior intelligence would naturally have a heightened sense of morality and spirituality - just like in Mars Attacks.
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Aetherwing (08-04-2008), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (08-30-2015)
Old 11-06-2006   #3
Karnos
Chymist
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

I saw this book at Barnes and Nobel in Chicago and bought it... just to forget it at the hotel.

A shame, really, but the book looks very interesting, and it comes with a few illustrations.

:lol: I remember reading von Däniken's "Chariot of the Gods" when I was younger. Good times, good times long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bendk";p=&quot View Post
It is interesting why some people are drawn to religion and others to pseudoscience. I think for some, myself included, the draw of the latter is the lack of moral dogma that is found in religious belief systems, with its messy discourse about good and evil, that is so at odds with actual experience. I don't remember Eric von Daniken ever positing the theory that a 'Loving Alien' created the world (and then cut us loose to tear each other apart).
The belief is different, but the dependence is the same

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #4
darrick
Mystic
Points: 25,906, Level: 100 Points: 25,906, Level: 100 Points: 25,906, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

i'm reading it now and it's good. a lot of it debunks the ancient astronaut theories from the 70's, but there's enough Lovecraft stuff to keep me reading. only about a third of the way through, but i recommend it.

Darrick

Cult of Cthulhu:
http://www.CultofCthulhu.net
darrick is offline   Reply With Quote