THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Themed Quotations
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-26-2014   #11
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Nihilistic Passage of the Day

Passage from 'Tristram Shandy' by Laurence Sterne where these knots are used to prevent - or at least indefinitely postpone - the birth of the baby who is the actual narrator of this passage by which means he would not exist at all and neither then would this actual passage exist at all...

"In the case of knots,—by which, in the first place, I would not be understood to mean slip-knots—because in the course of my life and opinions—my opinions concerning them will come in more properly when I mention the catastrophe of my great uncle Mr. Hammond Shandy,—a little man,—but of high fancy:—he rushed into the duke of Monmouth’s affair:—nor, secondly, in this place, do I mean that particular species of knots called bow-knots;—there is so little address, or skill, or patience required in the unloosing them, that they are below my giving any opinion at all about them.—But by the knots I am speaking of, may it please your reverences to believe, that I mean good, honest, devilish tight, hard knots, made bona fide, as Obadiah made his;—in which there is no quibbling provision made by the duplication and return of the two ends of the strings thro’ the annulus or noose made by the second implication of them—to get them slipp’d and undone by.—I hope you apprehend me.
In the case of these knots then, and of the several obstructions, which, may it please your reverences, such knots cast in our way in getting through life—every hasty man can whip out his pen-knife and cut through them.—’Tis wrong. Believe me, Sirs, the most virtuous way, and which both reason and conscience dictate—is to take our teeth or our fingers to them.—Dr. Slop had lost his teeth—his favourite instrument, by extracting in a wrong direction, or by some misapplication of it, unfortunately slipping, he had formerly, in a hard labour, knock’d out three of the best of them with the handle of it:—he tried his fingers—alas; the nails of his fingers and thumbs were cut close.—The duce take it! I can make nothing of it either way, cried Dr. Slop.—The trampling over head near my mother’s bed-side increased.—Pox take the fellow! I shall never get the knots untied as long as I live.—My mother gave a groan.—Lend me your penknife—I must e’en cut the knots at last—pugh!—psha!—Lord! I have cut my thumb quite across to the very bone—curse the fellow—if there was not another man-midwife within fifty miles—I am undone for this bout—I wish the scoundrel hang’d—I wish he was shot—I wish all the devils in hell had him for a blockhead—!”
Nemonymous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #12
marioneta
Chymist
Points: 7,606, Level: 61 Points: 7,606, Level: 61 Points: 7,606, Level: 61
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

"This little blind creature, only a few days old, turning its head every which way in search of something or other, this naked skull, this initial baldness, this tiny monkey that has sojourned for months in a latrine and that soon, forgetting its origins, will spit on the galaxies..."

"Nothing makes us modest,not even the sight of a corpse."

E.M. Cioran
marioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #13
LeglessSaltyDiogenes
Acolyte
Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

"Dont look back. You were dead from the beginning!"

Godflesh- "Like Rats"

LeglessSaltyDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #14
LeglessSaltyDiogenes
Acolyte
Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

What, yr all cheesed off cuz I ruined yr literary circle jerk with some Flesh? Do tell.

"Pus, poison, blood, s###: Body to Body, to Body, to Body"- "Job", Swans

Last edited by LeglessSaltyDiogenes; 09-28-2014 at 02:43 AM..
LeglessSaltyDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote