THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-19-2017   #141
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 10,978, Level: 72 Points: 10,978, Level: 72 Points: 10,978, Level: 72
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
I just played through Nier: Automata.

I don't like writing reviews, but it's now one of my favorite games. What is it? It's a JRPG explicitly about the pointlessness of existence, and how a pair of androids cope with this ugly truth. It has everything from suicidal machines who can't find meaning to their own pain to beautiful melancholy locales. There's hope at the end, but it's bittersweet.

I normally find JRPGs infantile, but N:A is something special. There's no rush, though. You can wait for the inevitable price drop. I was lucky enough to borrow a copy from a busy friend.
Is it better to play the original Nier on Ps3 before Automata? I've recently bought a Ps3 for cheap, so I'm trying to decide whether to play the original or its spiritual successor first.
You will enjoy Nier: Automata more if you'ved played through Nier. They're both beautiful games. Keep in mind that both are tragedies. Yoko Taro, the creator, doesn't like traditional happy endings. The throwbacks to Nier in Nier: Automata have been downplayed or overlooked by critics.

Also, keep in mind that neither game is a AAA title with a huge budget, though N:A includes far better gameplay. You push through both for the story, characters, and world building.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mithras (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017   #142
James
Grimscribe
Points: 19,332, Level: 96 Points: 19,332, Level: 96 Points: 19,332, Level: 96
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Since my last post I have completed Soma, Until Dawn and Alien: Isolation on hard mode. Soma and Alien were superb, and Until Dawn was decent for an interactive movie, I guess.

I have the Amnesia games and Outlast lined up, but next are the Resident Evil: Revelations games as I heard they were less abominable than the mess that was Resident Evil 6. I'm looking forward to playing as Claire in the second one as I'm an unashamed Code: Veronica junkie.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-19-2017), Mr. Veech (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017   #143
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
Since my last post I have completed Soma, Until Dawn and Alien: Isolation on hard mode. Soma and Alien were superb, and Until Dawn was decent for an interactive movie, I guess.

I have the Amnesia games and Outlast lined up, but next are the Resident Evil: Revelations games as I heard they were less abominable than the mess that was Resident Evil 6. I'm looking forward to playing as Claire in the second one as I'm an unashamed Code: Veronica junkie.
I'm glad you liked Soma and Alien: Isolation. Amnesia has a more traditional Lovecraftian atmosphere than Soma. I didn't care for Outlast - very distasteful and shallow in my opinion.

Bloodborne, though not technically survival horror, is a work of art. Save your money. Don't get Outlast. Put your wallet towards a cheap copy of Bloodborne. Trust me on this. Don't be turned off by its difficulty. If you can beat A:I on hard, a game most people didn't finish because of its own difficulty, then you have the patience for Bloodborne.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

Old 03-19-2017   #144
James
Grimscribe
Points: 19,332, Level: 96 Points: 19,332, Level: 96 Points: 19,332, Level: 96
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

I told you I beat Bloodborne a few pages ago. I have beat it again since I last mentioned it here.

I already own Outlast. At least I didn't pay much for it.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #145
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe

I told you I beat Bloodborne a few pages ago. I have beat it again since I last mentioned it here.

I already own Outlast. At least I didn't pay much for it.
Ah, I guess I confused you with someone else (that's slightly embarrassing). You might like Outlast. I played it after Soma and Alien: Isolation, so I was disappointed. It's not as ambitious as the aforementioned games.

Old 03-19-2017   #146
Acutely decayed
Chymist
Points: 9,291, Level: 66 Points: 9,291, Level: 66 Points: 9,291, Level: 66
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

I told you I beat Bloodborne .
threaded cane though? (noticed, with admiration, you had mentioned that you beat this - I am still struggling)

"suckers for posterity" aren't we all
Acutely decayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #147
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe

Here's a relatively brief post of mine which discusses Nier: Automata's main theme. I placed a spoiler warning next to the title, but I don't think what I've said there can be considered actual spoilers. I was intentionally vague about the game's story. It's up to you to click on it. The possible comments will probably be different, so don't look at them, assuming they show up (this is a fresh reddit post).

Some Reflections on the Game's Main Theme (Spoilers) : nier

2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-20-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-22-2017)
Old 03-20-2017   #148
nihilsum
Acolyte
Points: 2,164, Level: 29 Points: 2,164, Level: 29 Points: 2,164, Level: 29
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Glad Bloodborne is being mentioned here.

I've been a fan of the Dark Souls series since day one.

Bloodborne is probably my absolute favorite in the series next to Dark Souls 1.

It is also unbelievable to me how well Bloodborne put weird, cosmic horror into an action RPG. It just works so well.
nihilsum is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-20-2017), Mithras (03-21-2017), Mr. Veech (03-20-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017   #149
Mithras
Banned
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I felt Dark Souls I had the best lore, and its narrative resembles a Gnosticism with no redemption. but I am ashamed to admit I've never played its DLC, considering the backstory of Knight Artorias & his white wolf companion Sif seem very interesting. I did play and beat Bloodborne's Old Hunters expansion.

I want to replay Dark Souls I with the DLC after beginning and finishing Nier and Nier: Automata.

The dynamic between the First Flame, including its linkage to bonfires, and the Abyss reminds me of how Sassanids would maintain eternal fires, metaphorical for Ohrmazd's light, to prevent Ahriman's encroaching darkness, but there is an added pessimistic twist in Dark Souls. Dark Souls I has a lot of references to numerous mythologies, including Norse.

The Abyss is the origin during the Age of Ancients populated by arch-tree and everlasting dragons . The First Flame was lit signalling the Age of the Fire, which brought disparity (i.e., heat and cold, life and death, and light and dark). The Lords of Cinder who maintained the First Flame become sacrificed to madness, and even Chaos and Demons were born by trying to keep the first flame lit with Witch of Izalith. In this sense, one can say yielding to the Abyss is better than keeping the flame alive as Dark Souls III also implies.

First Flame | Dark Souls Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Last edited by Mithras; 03-21-2017 at 05:19 PM..
Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-22-2017), Mr. Veech (03-21-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017   #150
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe

Here's the best review of Nier: Automata:

Nier: Automata Review The Jimquisition

2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-22-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-22-2017)