THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-18-2017   #501
James
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 15,101, Level: 84 Points: 15,101, Level: 84 Points: 15,101, Level: 84
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%
Re: Trump

If any impartial reader believes I am in the wrong then it will be because you constantly edit and delete your replies so it looks like I am reacting to nothing.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #502
Mithras
Banned
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
If any impartial reader believes I am in the wrong then it will be because you constantly edit and delete your replies so it looks like I am reacting to nothing.
No, it is because you don't know when to drop a grudge. For being a leftist, you are ironically divisive by clinging to your rigid, fixed images of others, being obscenely judgmental, but this why I am right-wing, since I believe this divisive, judgmental, and tribal mentality is ingrained in people. The universalist vision of Jiddu Krishnamurti is not possible to apply consistently on the individual or group level, and you are proof of that, James. There will always be "the Other" unconsciously unless one engages in significant meditative practices.

Rather than trying to make amends and move on, you continue to attack my character out of the blue. You are the one creating drama, not me. I did not start this heated exchange either, but I am perpetuating it with the hope of you backing off and ceasing to bring back this resentful attitude again.

Last edited by Mithras; 03-18-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #503
James
Grimscribe
Points: 15,101, Level: 84 Points: 15,101, Level: 84 Points: 15,101, Level: 84
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Quote Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I am right-wing, since I believe this divisive, tribal mentality is ingrained in people. The universalist vision of Jiddu Krishnamurti is not possible to apply consistently on the individual or group level, and you are proof of that, James. There will always be "the Other" unconsciously unless one engages in significant meditative practices.
I begin to see.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mithras (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017   #504
Mithras
Banned
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I am right-wing, since I believe this divisive, tribal mentality is ingrained in people. The universalist vision of Jiddu Krishnamurti is not possible to apply consistently on the individual or group level, and you are proof of that, James. There will always be "the Other" unconsciously unless one engages in significant meditative practices.
I begin to see.
I edited the post to be more concise.

I am willing to drop this feud. I apologize, and please, can you stop attacking me from the blue? We can have more productive exchanges about literature and other related subject matter in a civil manner. I am no bully huckster.

You told the people of this forum you want to read many old religious texts. I have plenty to recommend. If you want Gnostic stuff, I'd recommend a Religions of Late Antiquity in Practice by Richard Valantasis because it has fragments of scriptures from Manichaeism, which is kind of like Ligotti's "Nethescurial". I have many favorite Ch'an/Zen texts to recommend too, such as Dogen's "One Bright Pearl" and Joshu's bizarre koans.
Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-18-2017), miguel1984 (03-19-2017), Mr. Veech (03-18-2017)
Old 03-19-2017   #505
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 15,637, Level: 86 Points: 15,637, Level: 86 Points: 15,637, Level: 86
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

Mithras, I'm thinking about lurkers and members who might see all this and think we're not bothered by your advocating ethno-nationalism and genocide against Muslims (you've said this at least three times so it doesn't seem like it's just something silly you said in the heat of a moment and regretted).
The stuff about future virtual reality utopias and some other topics were just bizarre but all your talk about civility and fairness just falls apart when you've advocated genocide.

I knew fascist ideas could gain wider acceptance in western first world countries but I'm shocked how quickly it has happened. Now we've got loads of people around spouting this stuff and so many people are just willing to excuse it as "controversial".
This softening towards ideological extremity and dressing it up as if it's benign has already done real damage. This normalization is happening because people are accepting it. Even if they're not agreeing with it, there's a sort of acceptance as if they're just agreeing to disagree about something of no real importance.

Mithras, you taken pizzagate seriously and people making a big deal out of such obvious nonsense put real people in danger.

And didn't you say you went and scared people in a church?

Again, I can't assume that most of you have seen most of the deleted posts but I don't want people to think this is an environment or set of writers who aren't bothered by all this stuff.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #506
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 63,323, Level: 100 Points: 63,323, Level: 100 Points: 63,323, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

99% of TLO's members are Liberals. I'd bet on that. Any idiot who believes TLO is a hotbed of reactionary thought isn't going to be swayed by facts. Some people have an axe to grind, God knows why.

Guys, maybe it's time to take a deep breath, step back and stop provoking Mithras. The past is past, he's apologized and I for one believe he's sincere.

Let it go, guys. Life is short, regrets are long.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #507
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 153,479, Level: 100 Points: 153,479, Level: 100 Points: 153,479, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Mithras is very intelligent in some ways and posts lots of interesting things but I get the impression many of you have missed his posts that get deleted quickly, the sort he got banned for multiple times. We did not misinterpret those posts.

Why would anyone be too educated for politics?
Is Mithras a previously banned member? Who? How do you know? I prefer not to read through all of this content, but it would appear that we might be spiraling back into the abyss. It is depressing enough to hear the news these days.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017   #508
Evans
Grimscribe
Points: 19,639, Level: 96 Points: 19,639, Level: 96 Points: 19,639, Level: 96
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

I disagree with Mithras' views on ethno-nationalism, Islam and Naturalism. Whether it bothers me or not is irrelevant: Ligotti's Efilism 'bothers' me in as much as I hold it to be both incoherent and to lead to conclusions which are morally impermissible. It doesn't mean I think he should be prevented from expressing and discussing that view (though if he or any other attempts to act upon it I will resist them with physical force).

(It was always been a source of fascination for me how some people are happy to coolly discuss or even propose the destruction of the human race but unable to even bear listening to ideas that involve the destruction of a sub-set of it. Cf the big red button that 'ends the suffering' of every black person in America)

As an individual Mithras is prone to angry posts about a topic he feels passionate about, that is Persian history and culture. Other than that his posts are usually very erudite and interesting, even if I happen to completely disagree with them. Quality of discussion would go way down hill were he not on these boards
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-19-2017), Nemonymous (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017   #509
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 117,345, Level: 100 Points: 117,345, Level: 100 Points: 117,345, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
Ligotti's Efilism 'bothers' me in as much as I hold it to be both incoherent and to lead to conclusions which are morally impermissible. It doesn't mean I think he should be prevented from expressing and discussing that view...
I agree.
But I don't think we can *know* that Ligotti is an EFIList just because his fiction and connected fiction-supporting 'philosophy' seem to use EFILism as a mischievous provocative device.

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Last edited by Nemonymous; 03-19-2017 at 08:00 AM..
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-19-2017), miguel1984 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017   #510
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 15,637, Level: 86 Points: 15,637, Level: 86 Points: 15,637, Level: 86
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

Firstly, I'm not calling for anyone to go away or to stop discussing these things.

I'm just aware how we could create the wrong impression if there's not much sign of objection to what I detailed above. Doesn't matter if most of us are liberals if we look like we're not too bothered by ethno-nationalism, talk of intrinsic and insurmountable differences between ethnic groups and genocide. If we look like we don't care it could deter people from posting here.

And yes, those things are obviously much worse than people wanting their family lines to end without forcing it on anyone else.

Dr Bantham- Mithras is With Strength I Burn and a few other brief identities. There's a clear continuity and he acknowledges it, including conversations on this thread.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-19-2017), Nirvana In Karma (03-19-2017)