THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Reggie Oliver
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-04-2011   #101
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 14,674, Level: 83 Points: 14,674, Level: 83 Points: 14,674, Level: 83
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Reggie Oliver

I'm also still awaiting my copy of Mrs. Midnight. I blame Canada for not having received it yet. I have found the post to be notoriously slow for the past few months.

I am afraid to say that I am not lucky enough to possess the Haunted River Reggie Oliver titles, but am proud to say that I do have all the others, including both Dramas for the Depths and both Ex Occidente volumes.

I love hearing about other people's book collections. I wish everybody on this forum lived in the same city so we could have a library hopping party one evening. I'd love the opportunity to ogle everybody else's library!
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #102
Brendan Moody
Chymist
Points: 12,660, Level: 77 Points: 12,660, Level: 77 Points: 12,660, Level: 77
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

Remarkably, Tartarus Press is reporting that only 30 of the 400 copies of Mrs Midnight and Other Stories remain available for purchase from them, so if you're hoping to get this book direct from the publisher (and avoid the markups that I imagine will soon start to appear), order quickly.

I've read about half of it so far, and can report that it's another set of great Reggie Oliver stories: classically erudite and spooky but psychologically modern in an unintrusive but thoughtful way. The range of Oliver's fiction continues to expand, but every story is still distinctively his.

Noonday Stars: a blog about horror fiction. Recent content includes essay on the new edition of Ligotti's The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #103
Brendan Moody
Chymist

And now Mrs Midnight is entirely out of print at the publisher. Unless you want to pay four or five times the cover price, pick this one up from a supernatural fiction dealer now.

My review of the book, for any who are interested, is here. One of the stories, "Minos or Rhadamanthus," is my new favorite among Oliver's work.

Noonday Stars: a blog about horror fiction. Recent content includes essay on the new edition of Ligotti's The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales.
2 Thanks From:
bendk (10-06-2011), Soukesian (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011   #104
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 120,650, Level: 100 Points: 120,650, Level: 100 Points: 120,650, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
And now Mrs Midnight is entirely out of print at the publisher. Unless you want to pay four or five times the cover price, pick this one up from a supernatural fiction dealer now.

My review of the book, for any who are interested, is here. One of the stories, "Minos or Rhadamanthus," is my new favorite among Oliver's work.

An absolutely brilliant review of a brilliant book. Thanks.
des

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Brendan Moody (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011   #105
Brendan Moody
Chymist

Thanks, Des.

After mentioning that Mrs Midnight had sold out, I recently had a bit of a Twitter debate with someone making the familiar argument that expensive books with small print runs that quickly sell out are unfair to readers with limited financial resources. I don't want to reignite that discussion here- I can see both sides of it, and either way it's not the most important issue. But I do think that a situation like this one does cry out for some kind of reprint, be it a second edition hardcover, or preferably a trade paperback or ebook. Obviously Tartarus' decisions involve a lot of factors to which consumers aren't privy, and I imagine they didn't foresee this particular development, but it would be nice to have at least one Reggie Oliver collection available to curious readers at an introductory price. The first book of The Dracula Papers is affordable, but that's not quite the same thing.

Thanks From:
qcrisp (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011   #106
vbull
Acolyte
Points: 4,734, Level: 46 Points: 4,734, Level: 46 Points: 4,734, Level: 46
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Hi all,

I'm new to this site as a member even though I visited it frequently in the last year.

I just want to let canadian member here know that ordered Reggie's last title from Tartarus and I received mine last week one day before the official release date (september 29). I'm on the east coast (New Brunswick) and I don't have postal problems since the strike is over from US or UK (I actually have 5 packages crossing the atlantic as we speak).

I agree that it's time that Reggie's work get a broader audience with paperbacks or ebooks. A lot of people are missing his great talent.

As for my Reggie collection, I have all his books from Cardinal to Mrs Midnight. I can post picture if you want. ;)

Jerome
vbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #107
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 58,678, Level: 100 Points: 58,678, Level: 100 Points: 58,678, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
Thanks, Des.

After mentioning that Mrs Midnight had sold out, I recently had a bit of a Twitter debate with someone making the familiar argument that expensive books with small print runs that quickly sell out are unfair to readers with limited financial resources. I don't want to reignite that discussion here- I can see both sides of it, and either way it's not the most important issue. But I do think that a situation like this one does cry out for some kind of reprint, be it a second edition hardcover, or preferably a trade paperback or ebook. Obviously Tartarus' decisions involve a lot of factors to which consumers aren't privy, and I imagine they didn't foresee this particular development, but it would be nice to have at least one Reggie Oliver collection available to curious readers at an introductory price. The first book of The Dracula Papers is affordable, but that's not quite the same thing.
Having now had some experience in this area, I think I can say that one reason publishers do limited print runs is that it's actually a good business model. If people are worried about there only being limited editions and this not being fair, they should also support publishers that don't do limited editions. No support, no publisher.

Sorry, I know the statement here was explicitly not meant to stir up debate.

"As the Director of one of the five greatest museums in our Eastern States has more than once remarked to me, From the Stone Age until now, what a decline!" - Ananda Coomaraswamy
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Brendan Moody (10-06-2011), Nemonymous (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011   #108
Soukesian
Mystic
Points: 9,707, Level: 68 Points: 9,707, Level: 68 Points: 9,707, Level: 68
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%

To put a positive angle on this, Reggie's back catalogue is now large enough to give scope for an excellent "Best of . ." anthology, which would increase interest in the existing source volumes. Anyone care to suggest picks?
Soukesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #109
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 120,650, Level: 100 Points: 120,650, Level: 100 Points: 120,650, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Soukesian View Post
To put a positive angle on this, Reggie's back catalogue is now large enough to give scope for an excellent "Best of . ." anthology, which would increase interest in the existing source volumes. Anyone care to suggest picks?
Flowers of the Sea
The Giacometti Crucifixion

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Soukesian (10-07-2011)
Old 10-06-2011   #110
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 58,678, Level: 100 Points: 58,678, Level: 100 Points: 58,678, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Soukesian View Post
There are a number of Reggie's stories I've yet to read, but I'd vote for (difficult as it is to choose), 'The Skins' and 'Difficult People'.

"As the Director of one of the five greatest museums in our Eastern States has more than once remarked to me, From the Stone Age until now, what a decline!" - Ananda Coomaraswamy
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Soukesian (10-07-2011)