THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-19-2014   #1
mark_samuels
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Catholic Corner pt II

More Fulton Sheen.

Mark S.

"You have no idea how much nastier I'd be if I were not a Catholic. Without supernatural aid I would hardly be a human being." Evelyn Waugh
mark_samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
kobaia (10-20-2014), Mr. D. (03-15-2015), teguififthzeal (10-22-2014), With Strength I Burn (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014   #2
mark_samuels
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Re: Catholic Corner pt II

I think that last one was pretty good WSIB, but this one is really off the scale in terms of spiritual power.

Mark S.

"You have no idea how much nastier I'd be if I were not a Catholic. Without supernatural aid I would hardly be a human being." Evelyn Waugh
mark_samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
kobaia (10-20-2014), Mr. D. (03-15-2015), njhorror (10-19-2014), With Strength I Burn (10-20-2014)
Old 10-19-2014   #3
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 21,285, Level: 100 Points: 21,285, Level: 100 Points: 21,285, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

With no disrespect to Archbishop Sheen he looks to me like he could throw back his cape and sprout fangs at any moment.

My father's cousin was an American bishop, of Eastern European descent, active in the Civil Rights movement, in a heavily urban mid-western city back in the 60's.

I thought the same thing about him.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-19-2014), Mr. D. (03-15-2015), SpookyDread (10-20-2014), With Strength I Burn (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014   #4
Forgotten Prisoner
Banned
Points: 7,954, Level: 62 Points: 7,954, Level: 62 Points: 7,954, Level: 62
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I think the Catholic Corner can be consolidated into one thread. We all know that some of the woodwork here at TLO is infested with intellectual vermin, but there is no need to scuttle about shamelessly. I doubt if many visit TLO to gorge themselves on dogmatic delusions.

I prefer the color video. His getup would have been more striking had he worn a red domino mask. A missed opportunity. Still, he is quite the picture of ostentation. He reminds me of a cross between a strutting peacock and a baboon's ass. To watch him making stern faces and affectations of worldly wisdom while prancing about in his comical costume is highly amusing.

Other than unintended humor, I found little of value in any of the videos, so thanks for nothing. I keep waiting for the day when people will look back on this kind of thing and blush from the shame of being so silly.

I will say this in defense of Catholicism, at least they maintain some sense of decorum, and that is not to be dismissed. Evangelicals are animals. But should Catholics take pride in the fact that they are slightly less demonstrably ridiculous than some other sect? That what they believe isn't quite as preposterous? They are all on the same continuum of superstitious idiocy. Being a few rungs up the ladder is no great shakes.

The bottom line is that the Christian mythology is not true. I don't think I can simplify it any more than that. It is not difficult to understand.

When a child talks about the man in the sky, it's endearing. When an imbecile does it, it's understandable. When an adult, who "supposedly" has all of their faculties about them, does it, it is nothing short of embarrassing.
Forgotten Prisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014   #5
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 21,285, Level: 100 Points: 21,285, Level: 100 Points: 21,285, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

lol
That's a good one Father Dominick. You almost had me there.
You know what gave it away? The "baboon's ass" You said the same thing about Monsignor Santiago when he backed into your Toyota last week.
See you at Mass on Sunday!

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

Last edited by njhorror; 10-20-2014 at 10:02 AM..
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014   #6
SpookyDread
Mystic
Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Infant baptism doesn't count as a rite of passage to me .

Confirmation is the mature choice someone makes on faith that they want to commit themselves to the body of a church .

When the internet came about it became more apparent why this is important .

It's not superstition .

Gothic Ireland by Jarlath Kileen is a book you could read on gothicism in anglicanism since the 18th century

Confirmation by Whitley Strieber ? Why do you think he chose that title. It's not coincidental .

…. ….. …. curious,

This book is at once a journey of scientific discovery and the story of the personal struggle Whitley Strieber has fought since he had an apparent close encounter in 1985, which he recounted in Communion: A True Story. He has been criticized for creating folklore; he has been called insane, labeled a liar and a cult leader. Naturally, he wants to correct the record. But more than that, he has come to feel certain that something truly earthshaking is happening, something far stranger, far more incredible than anyone suspected, which has made mankind vulnerable.

To change all this, what he's need is physical proof. He has it, and this book is the story of how he got it and what it is.

Strieber first reviews all the evidence for UFOs-including the remarkably dramatic and repeated sightings over Mexico city filmed by so many people-as well as the testimony thousands have given about their close encounter experiences, before turning to shocking new physical evidence: five implants surgically removed under controlled and documented conditions from the bodies of people who have reported contact with aliens. The study of these "implants"-what they are made of, how they function, and what their ultimate purpose is-holds the final answers to this whole puzzle.

In addition, in a remarkable appendix, Monsignor Corrado Balducci of the Congregation of the Evangelization of Peoples and Propagation of the Faith discusses the perspective of the Catholic Church on the whole matter of alien contact and what it means within a religious perspective.
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (03-15-2015)
Old 10-20-2014   #7
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 27,957, Level: 100 Points: 27,957, Level: 100 Points: 27,957, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Prisoner View Post
The bottom line is that the Christian mythology is not true. I don't think I can simplify it any more than that. It is not difficult to understand.
What do you mean by "true"?

When a child talks about the man in the sky, it's endearing. When an imbecile does it, it's understandable. When an adult, who "supposedly" has all of their faculties about them, does it, it is nothing short of embarrassing.
I think you mean "straw man in the sky." Of your own making, btw.

matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (10-20-2014), kobaia (10-20-2014), teguififthzeal (10-20-2014), With Strength I Burn (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014   #8
SpookyDread
Mystic

Fanatics are marked by their passage through services like Confirmation . Not baptism.
Old 10-20-2014   #9
SpookyDread
Mystic

I think the Catholic Corner can be consolidated into one thread. We all know that some of the woodwork here at TLO is infested with intellectual vermin, but there is no need to scuttle about shamelessly. I doubt if many visit TLO to gorge themselves on dogmatic delusions.

I prefer the color video. His getup would have been more striking had he worn a red domino mask. A missed opportunity. Still, he is quite the picture of ostentation. He reminds me of a cross between a strutting peacock and a baboon's ass. To watch him making stern faces and affectations of worldly wisdom while prancing about in his comical costume is highly amusing.

Other than unintended humor, I found little of value in any of the videos, so thanks for nothing. I keep waiting for the day when people will look back on this kind of thing and blush from the shame of being so silly.

I will say this in defense of Catholicism, at least they maintain some sense of decorum, and that is not to be dismissed. Evangelicals are animals. But should Catholics take pride in the fact that they are slightly less demonstrably ridiculous than some other sect? That what they believe isn't quite as preposterous? They are all on the same continuum of superstitious idiocy. Being a few rungs up the ladder is no great shakes.

I sympathize with you. I really do. You think Catholicism or other forms of Christianity are way more complicated than they really are. The truth is, if you don't have Faith in every word of the Bible , you're not too far ahead or behind anybody else who chooses to join a church. Other people join Christian churches literally simply because their parents were. They won't complain or turn you away for not giving a damn.

Luther wrote that you can't even interpret the Bible without experiencing grace. That's really the experience that marks your psyche as a Christian, a psychological, fanatical change takes place, and the people who go through that experience are often far more careless than you are about their beliefs.
Old 10-20-2014   #10
SpookyDread
Mystic

Matt, sorry for being such a #### wit, but what do you think of this book?

[ wtf ]

Gothic Ireland: horror and the Irish Anglican imagination in the long eighteenth century
Jarlath Killeen
(Four Courts, E55)
ISBN 1851829431
The title of this book initially suggests a study of the Gothic genre in Ireland in the eighteenth century, but Killeen delivers instead ‘a history of the social memory of Irish Anglicanism’, focusing on the ways in which the images and narratives of this social memory coalesced into the form of late eighteenth-century Gothic. He sets out to analyse the creation and maintenance of Anglican identity in Ireland in the eighteenth century through a study of a ‘pre-Gothic aesthetic’ that eventually produced the Irish Gothic and such novels as Melmoth the Wanderer (1820), The picture of Dorian Gray (1891) and Dracula (1897).

In his third—and arguably most compelling—chapter Killeen focuses on Swift’s A modest proposal (1729) and the connection Swift makes between cannibalism, Catholicism and grotesque Irish womanhood. He rightly identifies the accusation of cannibalism as ‘a regular feature of much ethnographical fiction and anthropology—the “other” as cannibal’, and highlights the link between cannibalism, vampirism and the Catholic belief in transubstantiation. Moreover, Killeen argues that eighteenth-century Anglicans in Ireland could most likely see transubstantiation as less improbable, the ‘radical ambiguity’ of their identity echoing that taking place at the consecration. Killeen’s discussion is perhaps at its strongest when considering this confusion of identities, the blurring of boundaries that confronted Anglicans in Ireland in the eighteenth century. His argument that the idea of transubstantiation, a doctrine that clearly marked Catholicism as the abhorrent ‘other’, might have been ‘less improbable’ to Anglicans poignantly suggests the turmoil faced by this non-English but not-quite-Irish population.
In this same chapter Killeen briefly considers the Gothic fear of the ‘other’ manifesting itself in medical terms as the spread of contagion and illness, linking this fear of contagion to fear of vampirism and zombieism. He cites Joseph Sheridan le Fanu’s vampire narrative Carmilla (1872) as an example of Irish Gothic dominated by this pathological fear. Later, in his analysis of necrophilia and the differences between Catholic and Anglican public rituals of the dead (Chapter 5), Killeen writes of eighteenth-century Ireland envisaged as the ‘sick man’ of the Empire. One wonders whether Killeen’s book would have benefited from a more thorough investigation of this idea of illness locating itself in the margins of society while threatening to contaminate the centre, as well as the role vampirism and cannibalism might play in that fearsome crossover.
Thanks From:
bendk (10-20-2014)