THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > Arthur Schopenhauer
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-09-2016   #1
DarkView
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Optimism

"Optimism is not only a false but also a pernicious doctrine, for it presents life as a desirable state and man's happiness as its aim and object. Starting from this, everyone then believes he has the most legitimate claim to happiness and enjoyment. If, as usually happens, these do not fall to his lot, he believes that he suffers an injustice, in fact that he misses the whole point of his existence"--Arthur Schopenhauer The World as Will and Representation

What is most fascinating about humanity, at least for me, is the ability to see what is not there, generally falling under the category of optimism; as the world represents an inherent negative state to all born in it, every desire rebels against this state. This is not to say that optimism is much more the domain of the intellectually deficient, but Self-deception goes hand in hand with all future imagination no matter how monstrous the present circumstances. Ironically, we give a high premium to truth amid all this.

“Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.”
Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited
DarkView is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-09-2016), mongoose (10-10-2016), Mr. Veech (10-09-2016), ToALonelyPeace (10-09-2016)
Old 10-10-2016   #2
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Re: Optimism

I know its a bit of a simplification on my part, but I agree with William James' claim that pessimists tend to be empiricists. I've found this to be true from my own personal experience (Ha!).

I also believe a lot of the temperamental differences between pessimists and optimists relates to how one views the is/ought relationship. Pessimists, such as myself, believe there's a "gap" or "fissure" between the two which is impossible to mend, whereas optimists seem to believe there's some kind of possible reconciliation between the two, a hidden eschatology of sorts. "What is not there" is roughly equivalent to the future in terms of possibilities, assuming one is an optimist.

Orthodox Christians and Marxists who believe in the possibility of a classless society are fundamentally optimistic in the above sense.
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
DarkView (10-10-2016), miguel1984 (10-10-2016), Raul Urraca (10-14-2016)
Old 10-10-2016   #3
DarkView
Mystic
Threadstarter
Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Re: Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
I know its a bit of a simplification on my part, but I agree with William James' claim that pessimists tend to be empiricists. I've found this to be true from my own personal experience (Ha!).

I also believe a lot of the temperamental differences between pessimists and optimists relates to how one views the is/ought relationship. Pessimists, such as myself, believe there's a "gap" or "fissure" between the two which is impossible to mend, whereas optimists seem to believe there's some kind of possible reconciliation between the two, a hidden eschatology of sorts. "What is not there" is roughly equivalent to the future in terms of possibilities, assuming one is an optimist.

Orthodox Christians and Marxists who believe in the possibility of a classless society are fundamentally optimistic in the above sense.
I am an empiricist insofar as I believe our minds hold the parameters for all that can be known from a human standpoint, but I don't make it into an unassailable doctrine. Ultimately, the "gap" in the is/ought dichotomy for the optimist is a by product of our type of awareness, in which we know what is the case and also imagine/desire what could be the case. From what I've observed however, the empiricist, or realist if you like, more often than not also believes in a brighter future just as much as the optimist, not because they have any grounds to but just because they want to.

“Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.”
Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited
DarkView is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-10-2016)