THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Various
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-16-2008   #41
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 29,666, Level: 100 Points: 29,666, Level: 100 Points: 29,666, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Bands I Loathe

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherwing View Post
To make matters worse, fans of Boards of Canada refer to the band as BOC. Unnacceptable: Blue Oyster Cult is and shall forever be BOC. I hold few things sacred, but BOC is one.
And I thought that BOC stood for British Oxygen Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherwing View Post
Odalisque, I have never heard anything by Fuzzbox, but I have heard of 'em. I read an article on them in a dentist waiting room about 20 years ago....
That article in the dentist's waiting room must have made a big impression on you to remember it 20 years later.

This is an especially lovesome artefact:

Note the good taste embodied in the juxtoposition of the cover picture and the title Look at the Hits on That!! The picture on the discs themselves embodies similar, but even more exquisite, taste.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #42
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Points: 29,666, Level: 100 Points: 29,666, Level: 100 Points: 29,666, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by the_havoc_man View Post
Well, I know that I loathe Celine Dion. I don't think that she is even human.
I agree about Celine Dion except...

...well, she may make sufficient noise for several people, but there's only one of her (thank goodness!) so she's strictly speaking not a band.

On the thought of multiple Celine Dions...

Old 08-16-2008   #43
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Odalisque View Post
Quote Originally Posted by the_havoc_man View Post
Well, I know that I loathe Celine Dion. I don't think that she is even human.
I agree about Celine Dion except...

...well, she may make sufficient noise for several people, but there's only one of her (thank goodness!) so she's strictly speaking not a band.

On the thought of multiple Celine Dions...
To the bins with the diva clones!

"The sun was going down in a pumpkin-colored glaze when I arrived at the little one-story library. Some costumed kids were hanging around outside: a werewolf, a black cat with a long curling tail, and what looked like an Elvis Presley, or at least some teen idol of a bygone age. And coming up the walk were two identical Tinkerbells, who I later found out were Tracy and Trina Martin. I had forgotten about twins. So much for the comforting notion that there's only one of everybody."
Thomas Ligotti - "Alice's Last Adventure"

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #44
Ilsa
Mystic
Points: 9,307, Level: 66 Points: 9,307, Level: 66 Points: 9,307, Level: 66
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Send a message via Skype™ to Ilsa

oh, I think I never noticed this thread before...so, stricltly speaking, they're not a band, but being Italy's modern bubonic plague spreading everywhere, i'd add Eros Ramazzotti and Laura Pausini (I'm even scared to write it)......

Love Love Love
Rise! Rise! Rise!
Ilsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #45
Odalisque
Grimscribe

I have what is perhaps the great good fortune never to have heard of (let alone heard) either Eros Ramazzotti or Laura Pausin.

I won't be cruel enough to ask how they sound.

Old 08-17-2008   #46
Mr. D.
Chymist
Points: 17,748, Level: 92 Points: 17,748, Level: 92 Points: 17,748, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

This thread is pretty funny and informative. Thanks for the warning on some of these groups. I'm glad that Led Zepplin and the Grateful Dead were included. They're good musicians but they were and are so pretentious. Who wants to hear "Sugar Magnolia" for two hours straight? The Led and the Dead are right up there near the pinacle of pretentiousness.
However, the worst and most pretentious band that I ever heard was Bauhaus. I mean, Bauhaus for God's sake! They couldn't play either. In my third week of playing the guitar I could play better than their guitarist, and I wasn't playing very well myself. Trite lyrics, mediocre music, trendy clothes and hair, stupid cheorography and lots of lighting gimmicks. No talent and all pretense. In a strange way I actually enjoyed small doses of them, but not for the reasons that the band would appreciate.
"Bela Lugosi's Dead" had a certain minimalist kick to it, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if they hadn't been taking themselves so seriously.

"A Mad World, MY Masters"
Mr. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #47
the_havoc_man
Mystic
Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
This thread is pretty funny and informative. Thanks for the warning on some of these groups. I'm glad that Led Zepplin and the Grateful Dead were included. They're good musicians but they were and are so pretentious. Who wants to hear "Sugar Magnolia" for two hours straight? The Led and the Dead are right up there near the pinacle of pretentiousness.
However, the worst and most pretentious band that I ever heard was Bauhaus. I mean, Bauhaus for God's sake! They couldn't play either. In my third week of playing the guitar I could play better than their guitarist, and I wasn't playing very well myself. Trite lyrics, mediocre music, trendy clothes and hair, stupid cheorography and lots of lighting gimmicks. No talent and all pretense. In a strange way I actually enjoyed small doses of them, but not for the reasons that the band would appreciate.
"Bela Lugosi's Dead" had a certain minimalist kick to it, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if they hadn't been taking themselves so seriously.
Ouch this one hurts. I mention Celine Dion and you say somebody like Bauhaus who are one of my favorite bands. All the pretense comes from the glitter influences like Bowie and T-Rex, and Iggy. When you say that they can't play that to is part of the punk influence. They got better over time. When I saw them in 98 for Ressurection tour I was mesmerized. I always thought that Bauhaus was unique and that they were gifted musicians imo. I am always blown away by the Ash's guitar solo at the end of "Terror Couple Kill Colonel" as wel as "In Fear of Fear." Honestly, I don't think that they did take themselves so seriously. It was perception from the press like NME or Melody Maker. Bauhaus themselves even referred to whenever they played "Bela" as an encore as it is time play the Drunken Irishman, in reference to Stoker. The boys of Northhampton also only used stark white lights for their show. I don't know if that is too gimmicky. But, then again some of my other favorite bands are Skinny Puppy, the Cure, Cabaret Voltaire, the Sisters of Mercy, and Portion Control.
the_havoc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
MorganScorpion (07-30-2009)
Old 10-19-2008   #48
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 30,290, Level: 100 Points: 30,290, Level: 100 Points: 30,290, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Odalisque View Post
I have what is perhaps the great good fortune never to have heard of (let alone heard) either Eros Ramazzotti or Laura Pausin.

I won't be cruel enough to ask how they sound.
I will. How do they...? I could hazard a guess.

To those who despise Boards of Canada, I'll agree to disagree. As far as modern electronica goes, they're alright, if not anything truly exceptional.

However, 95% of all techno and Goa trance makes me cringe.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #49
mishima head
Mannikin
Points: 3,811, Level: 41 Points: 3,811, Level: 41 Points: 3,811, Level: 41
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Silverchair had one really good song..Shade.. but otherwise agree with their disposal. I guess it brings up the question. Do you toss off an entire band's opus, without looking a bit more deeply? Can one song save them?

Can one song save you? From unimportance? (smile).

not too much more, too much more...
mishima head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #50
trieffiewiles
Chymist
Points: 31,338, Level: 100 Points: 31,338, Level: 100 Points: 31,338, Level: 100

I despise the (pop)ular interpretations of metal, especially the American variety, hey, you can't be patriotic about everything. This is especially so because when metal bands are talented like say Opeth was in their earlier days circa My Arms Your Hearse, they basically serve as the natural continuation of what classical orchestral or opera music was 'back in the day' so to speak. That is they don't rely on that dreary pop music formula of - verse/verse/chorus/verse/chorus, rather they approach songs as a series of progressing interrelated yet distinct movements, which no matter how sharp the transitions may be, are usually unified by some pervasive note or theme. That, and I love long songs. Come to think of it I also love it when when thrashy-type bands like Pig Destroyer and Naked City have albums with like forty wild and fast, but very short songs that blend seamlessly for kind of a convulsive stream-of-consciousness from hell.

Really I just can't stand the mentioned pop music formula, it worked alright with older artists who were active in those crazy days where you actually had to be able to play an instrument competently in order to create music, but as of late it has been beaten to death. I've actually seen quite a few bands I really like for one reason or another listed here (Spotbowserfido), I am just glad no one has listed The Doors yet, though that probably just gave someone the incentive to, and Odalisque - have you heard their live stuff, how can you hate Zepplin?

Anyway, allow me to contribute;

- Kenny Chesney
- Gretchen Wilson
- Kenny G
- Almost 'any' so-called punk that has come out in the last decade
- Poison
- Cradle of Filth (go away, and let's not forget. . . )
- Dimmu Borgir (how gigantic is your inverted cross necklace?)
- Disturbed
- Nickleback
- Pat Benetar
- Skid Row (No, you're not Sebastian Bach)
- Garth Brooks (take the beanie off you old man)
- Whatever long haired Greek guy who was on American Idol who everyone thinks I look like.
- Whatever is playing in a lobby of any kind.
trieffiewiles is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Daisy (07-28-2009), Dr. Bantham (07-28-2009), Mad Madison (06-20-2014), Spotbowserfido2 (07-28-2009), waffles (07-29-2009)