THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film > Contemporary Horror
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-28-2007   #1
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur
Alejandro Jodorowsky, Thoughts on Montana Sacra

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JyEIBdteBVQ

First some wikipedia facts about Jodorowsky's biography:

Alejandro Jodorowsky
or Alexandro Jodorowsky (
International_Phonetic_Alphabet International_Phonetic_Alphabet
: [ɑː.lɛ.ˈxɑːn.drɒ jɒ.dɒ.ˈrɒv.skiː]) (born
February_7 February_7
1929 1929
, in
Iquique Iquique
Chile Chile
) is a
Philosopher Philosopher
Scholar Scholar
in
Comparative_religion Comparative_religion
Playwright Playwright
Film_director Film_director
Film_producer Film_producer
Composer Composer
Actor Actor
Mime_artist Mime_artist
Comic_book Comic_book
Writer Writer
, tarot card reader and historian, and
Psychotherapist Psychotherapist

Early Years

Jodorowsky began his artistic activities at a very young age inspired greatly by film and literature. He began publishing his poetry in Chile when he was 16. At this time he worked alongside the Chilean poets,
Nicanor_Parra Nicanor_Parra
and
Enrique_Lihn Enrique_Lihn
. He developed an interest in puppetry and mime. At 17, he debuted as an actor and a year later he created the pantomime troupe, Teatro Mimico. In 1953 Jodorowsky wrote his first play, El Minotauro. That same year he traveled to Paris to study pantomime with
Etienne_Decroux Etienne_Decroux
, the teacher of
Marcel_Marceau Marcel_Marceau
. The next year he joined Marcel Marceau theatre troupe; the performances realized during this collaboration toured worldwide. After performing in Mexico in 1960, Jodorowsky decide to continue his stay in order to pursue other theatrical endeavors.

My opinion on 'Montana Sacra'

The major problem with Alejandro Jodorowsky's films is that the imagery does not stand alone; it stands for something else. The essence of surrealism, of course, is its lack of rational coherence, its absence of logic and meaning. The images in 'Un Chien Andalou' were dreamt up, while Jodorowsky's are contrived. He imposes meaning and does not seem to believe in free association. He is, in a word, didactic.

'The Holy Mountain,' an improvement upon his muddy cult epic 'El Topo,' begins promisingly enough with an eerie, wordless prologue in a temple in which the heads of two women are shaved by a cloaked deity as an initiation rite. The imagery here is striking, as is the imagery throughout most of the film, but I dare say it'd all be a lot more significant with the volume muted.

What follows is, initially, strained attempts at blasphemy serving alone as satire on Christianity, with a Christ-like figure smoking herb and making kissy-kissy with a limbless midget, and then happening upon a Christ factory (representing Christianity as a commercial product, in case you're slow). Following this, we see a reenactment of the Mexican revolution with a cast of frogs. After this display, our hero is led into the peak of a tower through a rainbow-colored corridor, where an alchemist locks him in a retort and his excrement is transformed into gold. Pelicans appear. The movie evolves again, this time into a satire on consumerism.

This initially striking feature becomes more grating as time wears on, and the juvenile tone of its satiric statement seriously compromises the power of its visual compositions. My heart sank as the film drifted further away from ambiguity and abstraction into the land of the cerebral and polemical. Jodorowsky is more suited for comic art and graphic novels than films, as the reconciliation between literal ideas and otherwise abstract images here is poor. Jodorowsky himself appears unmasked in the final scene, with a revelation that seems wrongheaded and smug.

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure

Last edited by Cyril Tourneur; 10-22-2007 at 04:43 AM..
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (10-02-2016)
Old 08-29-2007   #2
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky, Thoughts on Montana Sacra

It seems, from what I've read, that Jodorowsky should be more absorbed than digested... Like many paintings, I suppose, in particular Dalí (he read way too much into it).

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #3
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100

Exactly, this is why nowadays I rate Bunuel much higher than Jodorowski, although I admired the latter one in my youth, but since I read that he plans to shoot a movie with that overrated mainstreamer Marilyn Manson I assume that he just wants to get attention; here's for example ' Un chien andalou' by Bunuel:

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

Old 08-31-2007   #4
maya
Mannikin
Points: 5,562, Level: 51 Points: 5,562, Level: 51 Points: 5,562, Level: 51
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Trying to compare ritualistic to surrealistic... to risky.
Holy Mountain is a mans initiation rite.
A soul labyrinth.
Don't ask Alexandro...

no gods
maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #5
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I can only agree partially...Bunuel and Jodorowsky delved into the same sources, but whereas Bunuel allows a a free anticipation of the imagination, Jodorowsky shows it much too explicit and visually at least in 'Montana Sacra' and I also think in 'Santa Sangre'. His approach at 'Montana Sacra' was totally different compared to 'El Topo' (his masterpiece, which is definately surrealistic instead of ritualistic);the first part is about the confrontation between Jesus Christ and four prophets, and the second one about Buddhism (if you plan to see one film of him that's the one).

Last edited by Cyril Tourneur; 10-22-2007 at 04:42 AM..
Old 05-28-2008   #6
Adele
Mannikin
Points: 5,293, Level: 49 Points: 5,293, Level: 49 Points: 5,293, Level: 49
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Wow,Jodorowsky and Marilyn Manson? Although maybe I shouldn't be, i'm surpised and disgusted. Why won't Marilyn Manson go away? I was sure that after the 90's he'd be history, but here it is 2008 and he's still popping up from time to time.

"A man must dream a long time in order to act with grandeur, and dreaming is nursed in darkness.”
Jean Genet
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #7
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

Don't forget to check UbuWeb and Grey Lodge for any references to his work and others.
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #8
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

An excerpt from the book Spiritual Journey, linked in the Technoccult web log:

http://realitysandwich.com/transmitting_shrouds_dead
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote